Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #1

My 5er is 4 years old and the brakes are acting up big time. When I apply the brakes they reaally start to pulsate/jerking badly. They have never been serviced. I know its on the trailer because no other trailer I tow does this. So, the question I guess would be, how do I check them and what do I check? Magnets ? Shoes? Dont know where to begin. I did look at the ground but its inside a cable that leads toward the front of the trailer. Sorry this is so wordy

2003 Monark w/125h.p. Merc
Tombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #2

My 5er is 4 years old and the brakes are acting up big time. When I apply the brakes they reaally start to pulsate/jerking badly. They have never been serviced. I know its on the trailer because no other trailer I tow does this. So, the question I guess would be, how do I check them and what do I check? Magnets ? Shoes? Dont know where to begin. I did look at the ground but its inside a cable that leads toward the front of the trailer. Sorry this is so wordy

Old 10-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #3

Pull the wheels/drums off and start with a visual inspection. Look for glazed brakes first. Likely causes, grease has gotten on the brakes and now the brakes are useless. Drums warped, brake magnets not working properly, or simply brakes out of adjustment. Trailer brakes need to be inspected and adjusted properly at least every year.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I cannot help in correcting your problems but will share what I do to prevent them.

Several years ago I learned that annual New York state inspections require that only one wheel (and set brakes) be pulled.

Since then I have paid the inspector off......... I mean, an additional $20.00 / $25.00 to pull and take a close look at all wheels and break systems on all of our vehicles. Seems like a well spent few dollars.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 450Donn:
Pull the wheels/drums off and start with a visual inspection. Look for glazed brakes first. Likely causes, grease has gotten on the brakes and now the brakes are useless. Drums warped, brake magnets not working properly, or simply brakes out of adjustment. Trailer brakes need to be inspected and adjusted properly at least every year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, so is there a way to tell if the magnets are any good? Obviously the rest is up to the eye, except the warped drums. Going to check into it tomorrow.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #6

One way to check magnets is to hold a compass near the bottom of the wheel and have someone activate the brake controller. The compass should go nuts if the magnet is working. Another way is to jack up 1 wheel. Have someone step on the brake and turn the wheel. You should be able to hear the magnet hum as you spin the wheel. It also should stop spinning. Check each wheel like this.

Rich
RPFAN3460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
If your trailer is 4 years old without ever having the brakes adjusted I am wondering if you have any braking at all. Each wheel should be off the ground and the shoes manually adjusted by using a brake tool turning the cam inside the drum. I turn the wheel and adjust the shoes til the wheel will not turn any more and then back it off until there is just slight friction when turning the wheel. You have to do this to each wheel at least once a year or 3000 miles. They are not self adjusting like on your vehicle. Don't forget to replace the rubber cap in the drum to keep the dust out. I am betting after you inspect and adjust them providing they are mechanically sound your problem will be solved.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #8

One of the best checks for electrical operation of the brakes is how much current is being drawn under full braking? Each puck should draw between 2.5 and 3 amps. Intermittent problems could be electrical. The obvious has all ready been stated - - all brakes should be checked and readjusted once a year. The pucks need inspection - - they can wear thru where they ride on the disk and short out when applied. You could also be having a short in the wiring. A common short is where the wire goes thru the back plate of the wheel. Any of these intermittent shorts could cause very erratic brake operation.
Bob
Old 10-30-2008, 03:11 PM   #9

Both Dexter and Al-Ko have very nice downloadable pdf manuals for free.

Under "Service Information" select complete service manual.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/products___literature

And here, just click on "Owner's Manual".

http://www.al-kousa.com/

It is worth it to save both to your hard drive.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:40 PM   #10

Pulsing or intermittent brake action implies a short in the 12V brake circuit. After inspecting each brake set, follow the detailed test instructions in the Dexter Axle link Jeff provided.
Virtually all trailer manufacturers drill a small hole in each end of an axle and run the brake wire through the tube. Since the inside of these holes are not de-burred, the wire insulation gets cut, creating a direct short - when a bump causes the bare wire to contact the axle. I think it's best to run a new 10ga wire on the outside of the axle, secured by wire ties. Replace those cheap snap wire taps with crimp-type wire fasteners for a dependable connection.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:56 AM   #11

Thanks for all the input. Problem solved pretty much. Pulled the hubs, everything looked almost like new in there except a little brake dust. Called the local trailer dealer and asked him how thick a new brake pad was and mine are just what he said a new would be. Wow, big surprise to me. So I put it all back together and started to adjust the brake cam manually as you guys said. Wheels off the ground of course. I could not believe I had to turn the things about a dozen turns just to get friction on the drums. Everything seems to work OK now with some pretty smooth stopping now. The drums did get a little warm but, I think they will wear in. As I reflect back at the situation, I wonder if they had ever really been adjusted right from the get go.A big thanks to all.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:05 PM   #12
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tombs:
Thanks for all the input. Problem solved pretty much. Pulled the hubs, everything looked almost like new in there except a little brake dust. Called the local trailer dealer and asked him how thick a new brake pad was and mine are just what he said a new would be. Wow, big surprise to me. So I put it all back together and started to adjust the brake cam manually as you guys said. Wheels off the ground of course. I could not believe I had to turn the things about a dozen turns just to get friction on the drums. Everything seems to work OK now with some pretty smooth stopping now. The drums did get a little warm but, I think they will wear in. As I reflect back at the situation, I wonder if they had ever really been adjusted right from the get go.A big thanks to all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad you solved your problem and they are working properly now.

Happy Camping.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:19 PM   #13

Mis-adjusted brakes will cause problems. I'm glad your problem was something simple.

I'm a bit concerned about the drums being hot, though. If you stop w/o using the brakes (some place where it is safe to do so) the drums should be pretty cool.

I usually set the adjustment by turning the star wheel out until the tire/wheel is difficult to turn by hand (centers the shoes). Then back the adjuster off until the tire rotates freely, plus a good 4 or 5 bites with the adjuster tool (about 3/4 of a rotation of the star).
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff_in_The_Dalles:
Mis-adjusted brakes will cause problems. I'm glad your problem was something simple.

I'm a bit concerned about the drums being hot, though. If you stop w/o using the brakes (some place where it is safe to do so) the drums should be pretty cool.

I usually set the adjustment by turning the star wheel out until the tire/wheel is difficult to turn by hand (centers the shoes). Then back the adjuster off until the tire rotates freely, plus a good 4 or 5 bites with the adjuster tool (about 3/4 of a rotation of the star). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is pretty much how I had adjusted them. Tightend the up untill I had drag then backed them off till there was very little drag. The drums were pretty warm but I didnt consider them HOT. I mean, you could touch them and not get burned. But I will check that soon without the trailer brakes hooked up to see if they still get hot. I honestley dont think they will. I think its the adjustment on the brakes. Maybe a touch to tight.