Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Trailer King ST Tires

2015 Keystone Carbon 327
Stock tire is a Trailer King ST 235/80R16

Load Range E
Single 3520 lb @80psi
Dual 3080 @80 psi

NTSB doesn't list any complaints for this brand, but they're obviously a "newer" offering. The manufacture code is China. I don't see a bunch of internet complaints about this brand specifically and I do see people indicating that they're a "good" brand of ST tire.

The 5th wheel GVWR is 16500 with a pin weight of 2950.
Axle weight = 13550 at gross
Per tire, thats 13550/4 = 3387.5 = 96% of rated capacity at gross.

One thing I don't understand is that toy hauler pin weights are taken "at gross" - but I'd assume by actually loading the garage (max is 3000lb) - we'd actually reduce pin weight and increase axle weight.

We're not at gross, but here are my two options:

1) Replace these with something in load range F - either LT or ST tires.

2) Have these balanced (they're not balanced from Keystone), get the
trailer weighted, and use 'em...

Thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #2

I don't know of any trailer manufacturer that balances tires, so it's not just a Keystone thing.
Are you having problems with the trailer or think you have an issue that may be related to the tires?
Do you have your loaded for travel weights both for the trailer and truck?
If your not fully loaded in the garage, is your pin weight overloading the rear axle of the truck?
If your replacing tires or even if just having them balanced , have metal valves installed in the rims , as 80 PSI is the limit for rubber tire valves.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=208

Old 06-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yea, I'll get the tires balanced - if nothing else, it's not good for the 5th wheel long terms (vibration).

Zero existing problems. I'm about to tow it 3k miles and would like to prevent problems.

I don't have weights yet. I'll get those on a CAT scale, but we'll be certainly less than GVWR. Somewhere between 14000 - 16500 (GVWR).

I have a Dodge 3500 dually. I think it's rated for 6k pin weight. The truck isn't an issue.

Wheels already have metal stems...
Old 06-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply , glad to hear you're out of the Ford camp.
Time to change your info , under your user name.
Just kidding.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #5

The name Trailer King would sure worry me. It sounds like a re-name of a Tow King/Tow Max. If it's just a re-name of the other Junk Chinese ST tires you need to get rid of them now.

If you can post up the codes from the side of the tires we may be able to tell more about them. Also maybe a picture of the sidewall and tread, then we can compare it with the junk ones, I have 4 sitting in a pile behind my shop with only 300 miles on em.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
The code is definitely manufactured out of china:
DOT JEKL EFL 0215 CR

I'll need to get a photo of the tread.
I have higher res images, if they help.

Photos:
http://i.imgur.com/b16BWbt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QT60z24.jpg

Stock image of the tread:

This is the one complaint I've read about them, with several posts indicating that they're actually a good tire:
http://www.bobbystuff.com/RV/index.p...l-trailer-tire

Old 06-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
The code is definitely manufactured out of china:
DOT JEKL EFL 0215 CR

I'll need to get a photo of the tread.
I have higher res images, if they help.

Photos:
http://i.imgur.com/b16BWbt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QT60z24.jpg

Stock image of the tread:

This is the one complaint I've read about them, with several posts indicating that they're actually a good tire:
Another Exploding ST "Special Trailer" Tire

The "JE" in that DOT code =
SHANDONG YONGSHENG RUBBER CO., LTD., China, as the tire manufacturer.

Personally I would not use those tires on a trailer the size of yours beyond two years of the build date.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
With a trailer of that weight, bite the bullet now and go with the 215/75R17.5" LRH tires and wheels and there are no more worries about tires. I switched mine out from the LRG 16" Goodyear after a failure, and am happy that I did. Have over 15,000 trouble free miles over the last 2 1/2 years and am looking forward to a few more years before I replace them with the same. My axles are right about the same as yours, between 13,000 and 13,500# I run 110 psi in them and the tire temps stay constant no matter how long that I drive at a time. Always at or under 140*F. I do rotate them annually with the 5 tire rotation.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
LRH?

I'll need to check if my wheels will sustain 110psi. Apparently there is a sale on load range G, Taskmaster tire, @ $140
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/taskmaster/product/submitProductSize.do?pc=12062&typ=Trailer&tmn=Prov ider+ST+Radial+F835+Trailer

And indications of Sailun S637 - about the same price for all steel.
http://simpletire.com/sailun-s637-tires
Old 06-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #10

Mine were Power King Towmax. 59 complaints:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...1627%2C1882230

Maybe they are the same. the US distributor is the same:
CONTACT US VIA MAIL OR PHONE
Trailer King Tires
4300 TBC Way
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410-4248

CONTACT US VIA MAIL OR PHONE
Power King Tires
4300 TBC Way
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410-4248

Anyway - mine were bombs. One blew up after 5000 miles. I pulled the others off and found another tire that was ready to blow. I switched to Hankock LT tires.

My story here: Forest River Tire Problems - China bombs?

My manf: 83
SHANDONG HENGFENG RUBBER & PLUSTIC CO., LTD.
GUANGRAO COUNTY
SHANDONG
CHINA

Yours:JE
SHANDONG YONGSHENG RUBBER CO., LTD.
DONGYING
SHANDONG
CHINA
Old 06-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Andy, did they cover your damage?

Yea, if they were Power King, I know what I'd do immediately. I did note the number of nhtsa complaints - so I than you (and the others) for complaining. Power King is an easy choice. They're definitely the same importer/manufacturer, here's a list of brands:
Welcome to TBC Brands

TBC and Carroll Tire are the same company.

There are zero nhtsa complaints on the "Trailer King" brand - the NHTSA is basically where I started my research.. That's why I'm considering them - unless they're just too new a brand to generate complaints.

2 documented complaints on forums.

It'd be nice to see if the DOT code is the same for location of manufacture as Power King.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #12

After negotiations, they offered me $125 per tire (including the spare). In addition to sending me the check for my tires, they sent a UPS guy to pick up their tires up at my house. The repair estimate for my trailer was nearly $1000. I spent another $1000 on new tires.

My camper was 14 months old, so I was out of my warranty period. I was passed from my dealer, to the RV manufacturer, back to the dealer, then to the US distributor, then to a company in Canada that actually imports the tires, Dynamic Tire Corp. The people I talked to at Dynamic Tire Corp had a excellent attitude regarding customer service. They were honest and straightforward in my conversations with there reps. The process took nearly 6 months. Having the one tire that had almost failed made the difference in my case. The tire that blew up was not useful for failure analysis. Unfortunately, a lot of the failed "China bombs" look like the one I had that blew up.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
My manf: 83
SHANDONG HENGFENG RUBBER & PLUSTIC CO., LTD.
GUANGRAO COUNTY
SHANDONG
CHINA

Yours:JE
SHANDONG YONGSHENG RUBBER CO., LTD.
DONGYING
SHANDONG
CHINA
I was going to say earlier, that these tires have an eery resemblance to the Power King Towmax. Now it appears that they are one and the same. The Heartland Owner's website is riddled with dozens of topics of "Blowmax" tires shredding their RV's. I was one of the lucky ones who discovered this in my research, and headed straight to Discount Tire when I picked up my then new 5th wheel. I had six new Michellin XPS Ribs installed. That was a rough $2200 pill to swallow. Never regreted it in 17K miles.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:37 PM   #14

Skip426 wrote:
Quote:
If your replacing tires or even if just having them balanced , have metal valves installed in the rims , as 80 PSI is the limit for rubber tire valves.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=208

I wish I had this info when I changed to LT tires. I checked my rims. They were good to 110 PSI. I run my LT tires form 95-100 PSI. I had a valve stem go bad (~12,000 miles after I changed to LT tires) last month. I t he issue was probably the TPMS gadget more so than the tire pressure.

I posted info about valve stems in this thread: High Pressure Valve Stem Issues

Tags
tires