Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Trailer-Saver BD3 hitch

I'm very unhappy with my ride in the set-up we have. I have talked to MorRyde about the shear
pin in the rubber pin box and have even changed it out. Didn't help. My truck is a dually and when the trailer is lowered, the springs BARELY make contact with the overload springs.....so little sag sag in the truck.
I have 8k axles and have been told that makes a rough ride.....well I can't change that unless I go with independent suspension which is not in the cards.
What I'm getting is still a fair amount of what I guess is known as chucking. It's like a tugging on the truck - place your head on the seat head rest and your head goes back and forth on the head reset. Very annoying.
I have explained all of this to Aaron at Trailer-Saver and he says the BD3 will take care of this. Even though they have a money back return policy, I really wonder if the hitch is gong to do the trick. What are your thoughts? Thanks, Phillip

jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #2

It should, I have a Trailair ride pin box which has helped eliminate almost all of the chucking that can occur. I also installed air bags on my truck to to help with the ride both of these options have eliminated about 95% of the chucking that can occur.

Now if they only repaved all of the roads that would really help.

Jim W.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
JDT

Short answer is yes, at least it did for me. Long answer is we had a 2012 GMC 3500 single rear wheel and got a good amount of chucking on the rougher stuff even with our Glide Ride pin box. It was bad enough it would scare the wife. I ordered a BD3 in February but after a lot of thought decided we were so close on the weights with the truck that I needed to bite the bullet and get the dually. I never tried the BD3 with the 2012. In addition our Excel is a rear kitchen and while waiting for the new truck, which was on order, I installed a Trailair Center Point air suspension not because we had any problems but I just felt the better the ride for the trailer the less stress put on it from all the bumps. We have 7K axles on ours with 17.5" Michelin ribs. Also, I had a set of Air Lift suspension bags I took off the 2012 before I sold it and decided since I already had them and a remote controlled compressor I might as well use them on the new truck.

So, with all that, which is overkill I'm sure, the ride is wonderful. As for the BD3, we just got back from a 2000 mile trip and I could really tell it was working. I would see the trailer moving up and down but none of it was transmitted to the truck. I can also tell there is a difference in the ride of the trailer itself with the Center Points as stuff hardly moves.

I would think you probably would benefit from both the Center Points and the BD3 but I would think the BD3 would have the most impact.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I forgot to mention that the RV does have the MorRyde center point suspension. Thanks, Phillip
Old 08-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #5
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
I forgot to mention that the RV does have the MorRyde center pour t suspension. Thanks, Phillip
Then I would think you would benefit from the BD3.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I got the BD3 and all I can say is, "WOW". Made a huge difference and I can certainly see how the trailer will benefit from the hitch. Thanks to those who responded. Phillip
Old 09-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #7

Smile

We have been using the BD3 for almost a year, with 6k miles and two different RV's the BD3 made a huge difference in the ride. All I need to do is look in the rear view mirror and see the job that the BD3 is doing. This should have been my first hitch.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
I got the BD3 and all I can say is, "WOW". Made a huge difference and I can certainly see how the trailer will benefit from the hitch. Thanks to those who responded. Phillip
Good for you. I really like the Binkley head as you get a positive lock on the king pin when you back up, just like our B&W Companion did. This should greatly reduce the chances of dropping the trailer on the bed. We are getting ready to leave for a 4500 mile trip and I don't dread the rough stretches like I used to.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #9

The AirSafe is one to take a look at.Been having mine since 2008 very happy with it,much better than the RBW I had.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #10

I have a bd3. Though expensive ,well worth it for the ride the trl and the truck get.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #11

We have the Trailersaver hitch on our mdt toter, which is the same basic hitch but mounts directly to the frame instead of on a rail system. We couldn't be happier with a hitch. With about 5000# of pin weight you can push up and down on the nose of the trailer with one hand and get about 3" of up and down motion. That travel is what keeps the trailer porpoising from being transmitted to the truck. Plus it cushions the trailer to prevent metal fatigue in the pinbox area, particularly with a mdt/hdt toter. And I feel much safer with the Binkley head as well vs. my old Reese. I would not have another truck without one. The $3k new price tag was a little out of our budget when I was building the truck, so I haunted ebay for about 6 months and snagged one like new for half that. But even at new price well worth the investment.