Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #15

I am having four new BFGoodrich Commercial TA's installed on the fifth next Wed. the day before we head home from Florida to Montreal Quebec. I asked the manager if there was a problem swapping out the higher rated ST's for the LT's and he said no problem at all. They meet the weight rating for my 6000 lb. axles and he has done it before. Four new TA's intalled and balanced with new steel valve stems for $830.33 out the door. I feel good about the purchase and will feel better running these tires instead of the China bombs.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytronx View Post
Curious...?

If I upgrade to E rated tires that have max pressure of 80, it doesn't mean I would use that pressure when the originals were D rated with max pressure of 65.

I would still inflate to 65psi which is correct for my load, Right?

Then it doesn't matter that the rims can't handle 80 psi because I would never need to inflate that much. The rims would only see 65psi from a E load rated tire.

I doubt you could get a certified tire installer to mount tires on a rim not qualified for the tire’s maximum load capacity and tire pressure.
I was going to see how far this was going to go with less than complete information. Now that another has entered into it I think a little research will reveal that your trailer most likely has certified GAWR axles of 5080# or less and came equipped with ST225/75R15D OE tires. Of course the most economical upgrade would be to go to the same size tire with a LRE.

You are already on marginal load capacity tires and may in fact be in need of the added load capacity the LRE tires will give you at 80 PSI.

On the other hand, there are plenty of LT225/75R16E tires that have more than adequate maximum load capacities for the 5080# axles. Providing the owner can find such LT tires that will be warranted by their builder to replace OE ST tires.

The game is changing daily. Experience most often has a lag when technology is changing the parameters for usage and safety.

FastEagle

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan50 View Post
I am having four new BFGoodrich Commercial TA's installed on the fifth next Wed. the day before we head home from Florida to Montreal Quebec. I asked the manager if there was a problem swapping out the higher rated ST's for the LT's and he said no problem at all. They meet the weight rating for my 6000 lb. axles and he has done it before. Four new TA's intalled and balanced with new steel valve stems for $830.33 out the door. I feel good about the purchase and will feel better running these tires instead of the China bombs.

The reference provided below is right off the press. You should carefully consider what it says in the - What Is Not Covered - descriptions on pages 2 & 3.

Then read the tire safety section of your trailer’s owner’s manual.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/mediabin/Approved/BFGoodrich/Supporting%20Documents/BFG_Owners_Manual_05-12pdf_1-0.pdf

FastEagle
Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jablair View Post
Now that makes absolutely no sense! But to each their own foolishness.
But someone else might just read the maxpressure on the tire and put 100/110psi without knowing.

I had 15 in LTs at proper pressures for 6 years and 25% overload and it was the end of my trailer tire problems. They were rated at 1920lbs on 5k axles. No LTs will be warrantied but never failed on me and wear was great.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #19

Thanks for the replies,

Found this chart from Maxxis for trailer tire inflations. A brand people seem to respect.
My trailer weighs 9000 on the 2 axles, would I inflate E rated ST225/75R15 to max 80PSI? From this chart that seems overinflated to me.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #20

Under inflating reduces load and increases heat. Do what you want but i would not tow with less than max pressure
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
that chart is fine for maxxis tires - NOT for other brands - but you knew that

You certainly can lower pressure if you'd like because if you put max pressure and it 'bulges' such that if rides on the two center ribs only, you will have premature wear...

put the proper pressure for the load you are carrying..
but personally I go to the highest psi I can go without creating odd wear...
gives least rolling resistance and better wear, but 'could' generate more heat from more flexing...

get something like this and KNOW what your temps are: Non-Contact Infrared Laser Thermometer
Old 12-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytronx View Post
Thanks for the replies,

Found this chart from Maxxis for trailer tire inflations. A brand people seem to respect.
My trailer weighs 9000 on the 2 axles, would I inflate E rated ST225/75R15 to max 80PSI? From this chart that seems overinflated to me.

Maxxis provides their load inflation table for those authorized to use it.

I recently had a long talk with Mr. Shawn Brennan. He is the East Coast Maxxis representative. He told me that the only time the Maxxis load inflation table is to be used is when the vehicle owner has a valid recommendation from the vehicle manufacturer.

Mr. Brennan’s phone number is; 687-407-6772.

FastEagle
Old 12-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
OOPS, your off by exactly double. a 1/2 inch in diameter is only a 1/4 inch in any direction if measured from the spindle. So, 1/4 times 2 equals 1/2.
My tires from the factory are less than 1-1/2 spacing and have never had a problem. Tire diameter may grow as they heat up, but I seriously have doubts if it is more than a few thousands of an inch.
Go to miata.net, plug in the tire sizes and you will see .5" difference in radius and .9" difference in diameter.
The 235/80/16 has a radius of 15.4"; the 235/85/16 has a radius of 15.9".
My comments about tires growing at speed came from a HDT repair shop that specializes in frame modifications. The owner said tires can "grow" as much as 3/4" when hot and at highway speeds. He may have been quite wrong, feel free to investigate this question as you please.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
The reference provided below is right off the press. You should carefully consider what it says in the - What Is Not Covered - descriptions on pages 2 & 3.

Then read the tire safety section of your trailer’s owner’s manual.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/mediabin/Approved/BFGoodrich/Supporting%20Documents/BFG_Owners_Manual_05-12pdf_1-0.pdf

FastEagle

FastEagle, you seem to always put great store into what is not covered under warrenty if one uses LT tires on a trailer. I have has Mission tires, Goodyear Marathons and Carlisle tires blow out on me and at no time did they get covered under warrenty by the manufactures. Each and everyone told me that they blew out because of road damage. That was crap. I am not worried about warrenty on the LT's. I have not heard any horror stories about LT's blowing out on fifth wheel trailers and destroying the side of the trailer as I have with ST's. I am tired of worrying if my tires are going to blow and possibly damage my new trailer. Please don't respond. Don't need to hear any more from you about how wise it is to continue to use tires that continue to fail. Not sure what your motive is. I can only believe that you have some stake in the ST tire business as you say the same things on every RV board on the net. I am confident in my decision and have no convidence in your line of thinking.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan50 View Post

FastEagle, you seem to always put great store into what is not covered under warrenty if one uses LT tires on a trailer. I have has Mission tires, Goodyear Marathons and Carlisle tires blow out on me and at no time did they get covered under warrenty by the manufactures. Each and everyone told me that they blew out because of road damage. That was crap. I am not worried about warrenty on the LT's. I have not heard any horror stories about LT's blowing out on fifth wheel trailers and destroying the side of the trailer as I have with ST's. I am tired of worrying if my tires are going to blow and possibly damage my new trailer. Please don't respond. Don't need to hear any more from you about how wise it is to continue to use tires that continue to fail. Not sure what your motive is. I can only believe that you have some stake in the ST tire business as you say the same things on every RV board on the net. I am confident in my decision and have no convidence in your line of thinking.
Totally agree with the coments. ST are for limited use on trailers and RVs are to expensive to have junk on them. We have to make ourself heard and try to have STs better regulated if used on travel trailer.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:17 AM   #26

Myself and at least three friends went from 15" ST tires to 16" LT tires on our 5ers and never and had another fender or trailer side damaged by the junk they put on trailers and 5th wheel RVs.

I don't care about a chart some lawyer dreamed up to protect his client or a worthless warranty. I just don't want to be stuck on the side of a freeway with trucks and cars whizzing by at 75+ MPH while I change a left side tire.

I've tried Goodyear, Denman, Titan II, TowMaster and other ST tires with the same disappointing results. ST tires should be outlawed. They're not good enough to be ground up and used for pencil erasers they sell in 99 cent stores.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #27

Regarding inflation pressures of the Goodyear G614: when the tires are inflated to the max pressure of 110 psi that gives each tire a load rating of 3750 lb. For 4 tires that is 15,000 lb of carrying capacity, far more than what is needed for the 12,000 lb our 5er's require. Consulting the Goodyear chart for 3000 lb capacity/tire shows an inflation pressure of 80 psi. So, the way I read all this is if I'm running the 614's on my trailer and all I need is 12,000 lb (3000/tire) capacity then all I need is 80 psi of air in the tires. Point is you don't need the 110 psi rims for 80 psi. Running 110 psi will kill the tires just as quick as running under inflated.

Count me among those who have no use for the dangerous china bombs. It's LT tires for my 5er.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:57 AM   #28

Keep in mind those inflation/load charts reflect the minimum air pressure for the corresponding load, not necessarily the optimum pressure. It's in the fine print on the charts.

Tags
tires