Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #1

Trailer Tires

Took the wifes car to the tire dealer today and had new tires put on her car...While there I asked the salesmen about trailers tires...Just small talk my trailer only has 800 miles on it...The store sells all brands so the salesmen tell me the best tire in my size is a Hercules brand, he quote me a price of $321.00 per tire...The size is ST215/75R/17.5 H-902 16 PLY 4800LB MAXLOAD...So I get home and see online they are a Cooper tires and manufactured in Findly Ohio...I am going to write this down and when I need to replace my tires I am going to get them...Does anyone know anything about Hercules tires?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2015, 07:55 PM   #2

The 15" and 16" have been around here for years mostly small town tire dealers/farm and ranch store/grain elevators/etc.

Don't know anything about the 17.5 tires but if their anything like the older Hercules they were a good tire for the bucks.

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #3

I assume you have GY H tires on your MS?

Why change? The GY H tire has a stellar track record and IF something happened GY will pay the damages. No one else will.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I assume you have GY H tires on your MS?

Why change? The GY H tire has a stellar track record and IF something happened GY will pay the damages. No one else will.
I agree Cummins how well the GYs hold up will be the determining factor..Basically I was trying to get peoples opinions on Hercules tires as I have never owned them...
Old 03-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have two Hercules H-902 215/75R17.5 on our rig after having problems with Sumitomo. Be aware they are manufactured in China. At one point I wouldn't have considered a Chinese tire, but I bought them after my local dealer, a fellow RVer, recommended them. We don't travel as much as we used to and I had a hard time trying to personally justify a set of GY G114 that would age out before wearing out.

The load and speed ratings on the Hercules meet or exceed that of comparable tires. I figured I can replace tires every three years at less cost than replacing G114s every five years. So far we have a little over 5,000 uneventful miles on them. I have two remaining Sumitomos from a different batch that are wearing well. When those age out, I plan on replacing them with Hercules.

If you decide on Hercules, I would shop around. Less than two years ago, mine were $189.95 each locally before balance and taxes.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiteowner View Post
I agree Cummins how well the GYs hold up will be the determining factor..Basically I was trying to get peoples opinions on Hercules tires as I have never owned them...
Got it!

If I were not trading in my current MS I would run the GY H tires for a minimum of 6 possibly eight years. So I will be starting in with a new set of GY H's on the 15 MS on order.

The ones I have now are nearly 3 years with at least 30K on them maybe 40 and they still look new! amazing.

Tags
tires