Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #1

Training?

Wife and I have a new 39' Redwood and a new F-350, diesel, DRW truck.

Before we hit the road, I'd like to consider a driver training course. I've pulled a pop-up and a boat, but never anything of this size or length and never a 5th wheel.

Any suggestions for training? We live just west of Fort Worth, Texas.

Also, I understand I need a class B drivers license. If correct, what's involved in getting that? Written test? Driving test? Just a fee?

Thanks for your help!
gcakia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
try a google search for training programs. i found one many years ago at an RV show. There are a few around.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to PugPug
I drove Interstate livestock truck for several years and I have taught many a driver how to drive big rigs and was known to be a tough teacher. With all that sa
id my comfort level on large RVs is very good but I can say in all honesty they are actuallly very easy as long as you keep your eyes open, looking farther down the road watching for every idiot that wants to test you and keeping speeds down in testy circumstances.
If you were here I would take you for a day long drive first with me driving and talking about things to watch for.
After that I would put you under the wheel and start out just straight down the road and then plan your drive in more and more difficult situations. I would take you somewhere like a very large parking lot where you do very tight turns and get experience backing up etc. etc.
I am sure there are many well experienced Rvers out there or truckers that would love to indocrinate you.
Do not become frustrated or overwhelmed. When in a bad situation slow down or stop and don't be afraid to ask for help. It will all come to you shortly.
PugPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'll teach you !!! Not far from you... have some very good friends in Weatherford...

just pull your rig from your house to mine near Mansfield, tx and once you're here, you'll have figured it all out in DFW traffic

Learn your new truck first before you hook up !
it has enough toys to keep you 'un' focused at first... if long bad, that in itself takes some getting used to (mine did )
Don't want to be fiddling with the new gizmo and not recall you are towing your house !

As stated a large EMPTY parking lot will teach you about backing...
but to get there to practice...
1) take it easy - don't let anyone, including yourself, rush you until you are comfortable...
2) Drive as if you aren't towing except stay centered in the lane when straight and swing wide on all turns - I always try to stay on the OUTSIDE of a turn even when not towing so it's second nature... only once when I first started this I was so focused on fitting into a space I forgot that factoid and had to slam on the brakes just in time...

3) Know exactly what your height is so you can read and tell your riding partner to read and tell you what EVERY sign says...
those 12' clearance signs have a way of blending into the background when you are paying too much attention to what's behind you

4) Enjoy....