Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
A follow-up question on this subject...
Is the DOT-approved "permanently installed" LP Gas Tank on an RV equipped with an "AUTOMATIC FUEL CUT-OFF" in case a coach rolls to its side or upside down?

...Similar to the emergency fuel pump shut-off fitted on passenger vehicles since the 80s? (These electric fuel pump shut-off switches usually have a re-set button located behind the kick-panel trim on the passenger side.)
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #16

Simple answer to a simple question-

Would you rather have Propane ot Ptomaine?

May you have following seas and fair winds!
Old 09-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Off.

Go by your local fire station and ask them. They told me it was a really bad idea to drive with it on. They have seen the results.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelpo View Post
Help, my brother-inlaw has a titanium 5r his manual say to not opt the ref on lp gas when he is traveling down the road.

does this sound correct and if so what the heck do ya do?

Phelpo
If this was so critical, what about the 1000s of reefer vans on the road every day, traveling cross-country? They all use propane to keep the produce cold, and they are traveling for hrs/days, so there is no option to keep the propane shut off. Also, their unit is at the very front of the trailer, directly over the HDT's fuel tanks. My frig is a full 30 ft behind the truck's fuel tank and never near the fuel pumps. Also, today's propane regulators shut off the propane flow in the event of excessive gas flow due to a ruptured line.

I would worry more about gasoline fumes and a spark from cell phone use or static spark from someone climbing into and out of a car during fueling.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I never travel with the LPG on - I cool the refer the night before, load is with cool and frozen food, turn it off and latch the door just before hitting the road. Have traveled all day and still had a cool beer when we reached our dest. It only takes a few minutes to heat water.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #20
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
If this was so critical, what about the 1000s of reefer vans on the road every day, traveling cross-country? They all use propane to keep the produce cold, and they are traveling for hrs/days, so there is no option to keep the propane shut off. Also, their unit is at the very front of the trailer, directly over the HDT's fuel tanks. My frig is a full 30 ft behind the truck's fuel tank and never near the fuel pumps. Also, today's propane regulators shut off the propane flow in the event of excessive gas flow due to a ruptured line.

I would worry more about gasoline fumes and a spark from cell phone use or static spark from someone climbing into and out of a car during fueling.
I agree with you. Several years ago I stopped at a gas station just in time to see gas running under a car from an unattended nozzle that didn't shut off. The woman driver jumped out of the car (walking around in the gas) with cigarette hanging out of her mouth and complaining about the lost gas she might have to pay for. (The station man had walked off and left the nozzle unattended). I jumped out and told the woman to get the HELL away from the car and worry about the fire she was going to cause. She wasn't happy with me or anyone else by then.
You can't fix stupidity.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Propane and refrigerator on when towing for the last 20+ years.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
thanks to all who have replied.

Phelpo
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #23

New OPD valves have a flow limiter. When it detects a high flow rate it slams shut. This eliminates a ruptured LPG fuel line as a source of fire accelerant/fuel. All RVIA approved RV gas applinaces are approved for operation while moving, except the range. I have traveled with propane on while moving for 35 years to date, without incident.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #24

Think about the expansion ration of propane, liquid which is what state it is in the tank under pressure, to vapor which is what state it is when it is outside of the tank. Propane expands 270 gallons vapor/ from the 1 gallon of liquid. If fridge is closed and kept closed mine stays cold for the entire day of travel, then I start when setting up. This has treated me fine for years and I do not have to worry about a fuel source mixing with my pilot light. It would only take once to flatten the RV and then your living a tent or burn unit. Take time to visit a Fire Station, or a burn unit. Been there done that.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix2 View Post
If fridge is closed and kept closed mine stays cold for the entire day of travel, then I start when setting up. This has treated me fine for years
Sure it stays cold, but cold enough when traveling all day in 100+ degrees temps? I know that my frig turns on multiple times during the travel day even though the frig is never opened. Now I wonder why it does that? Just to waste propane I guess?

Besides, unless the tank valves are closed, just keeping the frig off doesn't protect from a propane leak, it only prevents the burner from igniting another flammable fuel source, like gas vapors while fueling. The excess flow valve on new propane tanks is intended to limit propane vapors in the event of a leak anywhere in the propane lines.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #26

My fridge runs on gas or electric, I just run on electric and leave LP off, nuff said.
Its Paid For is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #27

LP always on and frig on unless refueling. Water heater also on during freezing weather if on the road
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #28

Unfortunately most "dual power" fridges run on gas or 115v ac. I'm giving serious thought to getting an all-electric dual power that will run on 12V dc and 115V ac. That way, I can turn the propane off before setting out without worrying about the fridge.