Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
traveling with lp gas on

Help, my brother-inlaw has a titanium 5r his manual say to not opt the ref on lp gas when he is traveling down the road.

does this sound correct and if so what the heck do ya do?

2007 VUE
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
It sounds to me like that is a CYA. Most people leave the LP on when traveling, as the refrigerator needs it to operate unless it is a model that will also run on 12V. If you stop & think about it, it would be very hard for a person to get anywhere if their vehicle used LP instead of gas (and some do) if they were to turn it off.

powderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
We always run with ours on except when on Washington State ferries.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Ford Super Duty Owner
We run with it on, in fact it's rarely turned off, except where required by law or common sense. If the fridge has Direct Spark Ignition (I assume most do) and if the flame goes out it will re lite itself. I also leave the hot water on while traveling
Vanguard VXL2000
Ford V10 Super Duty
Me the Missus and Gabby
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
Always on.
lostagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #6
Always off when traveling... our fridge is sealed well enough that we have very little loss of cold-ness on our daily treks.

geeksrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:13 AM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I turn ours on the day before we leave and off after we unload when we get back. The only other time I turn it off is when I take on fuel.
David & Teresa
2008 Fleetwood Terra
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:37 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Always on LP when traveling.
Del & Lori & Millie, (our miniature Aussie) 2007 Diplomat 40PDQ - 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, US Gear Unified Tow Brake.
hardy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Ours is always on except when not in use for extended periods. Nice to have the fridge on, water hot and the furnace ready when traveling in cold weather.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We always ran with it on until DW attended a fire safety seminar and heard several horror stories about accidents involving people who had their LP on and had catastrophic fires. Now I turn it off for her peace of mind. If your seals are tight on your fridge and you put a battery operated fan to circulate the air, you can go quite a while with it off.
2004 Adventurer W-22 8.1 35u Banks power pack, Brazel ultra trac rear trac bar, Blue Ox Alpha towing '06 HHR
monarchman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:07 AM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LP on but turn off fridge while fueling.
Foothills of the Smokies
2005 Bounder 35E
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club

The day before my trip, I turn the frig temp way down and I pack ice in the freezer section.

Of course, the longest trip was 7 hrs but my frig, when I stopped, was 40 degrees. Well within the normal range.

The 6-gal water heater takes 15 - 20 min to be hot. I turn that on first and then do everthing else. So by the time I am set up, the water is pipping hot.

My trailer nearly flipped on my last trip (story for another time). What if my LP had been turned on and the water heater / frig lite?

Accidents can happen and I do not want to add to that by having my LP lines full and flame already available.............

1990 Itasca Suncruiser 32'
1996 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
7 Pomeranians, a white Chuihuhia & a 1982 Honda Express Scooter
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
I run and always have with the propane on for the reefer. While propane can be dangerous, it for sure is no more so than 20 plus gallons of gasoline in most TV's of which one cup has the destructive power of 5 pounds of dynamite(National Ag Safety Database - Storing Gasoline and Other Flammables). Then of course there are those compressed NG and propane powered cars and trucks, that nice big propane delivery truck, or possibly that gasoline delivery truck that carries 8-9000 gallons just waiting to be run into, or possibly that tanker truck of nitric acid.

My worry with propane tanks - 1. condition and 2. will the valve be broken in the event of an accident

Yes, accidents can and will happen, but those cautions as stated above, they're CYA. And I too own a Titanium
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Always on except when refueling propane.

The Great Dane
2007 Monaco Diplomat PAQ - 2007 Saturn Vue Honorary Texas Boomer
Living in Denmark - visiting the US whenever possible. www.winnebago.dk www.blog.retired.dk

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote