Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #15

Here's what these two think ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1407769035738.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	70512  
6PointOHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I read somewhere in the past year or so someone had a kitty cat get smashed in one of the slide compartments somewhere, can't remember where, but make sure you know where all the kids are before operating the slideouts...
Old 08-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I read somewhere in the past year or so someone had a kitty cat get smashed in one of the slide compartments somewhere, can't remember where, but make sure you know where all the kids are before operating the slideouts...
I'm horrified to even think of my cat stuck in a slide. My coach has a remote control to open and close the slides. I always have my cat in my sight when opening and closing, no cat in sight no open.. ever!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1525211_10152195368712433_765952035_n.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	70516  
Incognito. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow, remote control, that is nice, but you are on top of it.

For those with wandering minds, that is a recipe for disaster, if they don't follow a procedural routine when operating the slideouts.....it would be even easier to push the key fob and not think about the pet or where they were...but I believe that to be a very rare event.

Most of us animal folks are pretty dialed in about where the kids are almost all the time....but we are human, so its always to check twice before operating them.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
We have an old dog who has travelled thousands of miles in the back seat of Ram Laramie comfortably. I would not leave him in the 5 er which is dangerous and cruel. We are able to tell when he is ill or hot and make sure you have frequent stops. He knows his bed is in the RV and cannot wait to get in there at end of day trip.
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #20

Nothing alive should ride in a trailer. Cats should be in their crate during travel. Some dogs, too. When we had an A we had a dog who crapped himself in the 1st mile. He had to stay crated. Different dog and 5th wheel now. He pukes on himself in the 1st mile. He stays crated, too. It all depends on the pet.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:05 AM   #21

Our last Golden Retriever loved traveling with us in the truck and being with us a camp. Our previous cat, OTOH, was feral and hid whenever we started packing up so we couldn't easily crate him. Once, when only moving 6 miles, he hid so we left him in the fiver. He was traumatized when we got to our destination after just 15 minutes of travel.
Our current cats always travel crated for their safety and ours.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
I agree that not living creator should be in the fifth wheel while traveling. I had a friend who tried that for 10 miles and said it was a terrible experience. It would be cruel to have an animal there at the time.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:41 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgilj View Post
We are in the process of deciding MH or Fifth Wheel.
To the OP. We have two large dog that ride in the back seat. We bought a platform that hangs from the headrest, and bridges the floor space to create a full bed space. If your choice between a MH and 5th wheel is heavily weighted based on carrying your pets, then hands down a MH is the best choice. We will be trading up to a MH in the near future, for this and other reasons.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
That is devotion. I think you are making the right choice.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Traveling with pets and a Fifth wheel

We have two small dogs, of which travel in dog booster seats equipped with short tethers on the passengers seat positions in our motorcoach. We occasionally use a doggie gate directly behind our forward seats on long driving days to allow them to sleep better in their own beds and get water. When we make short stops (groceries, rest stops) or gone several hours during the day we always have the coach heat/cooling set and generator in auto-start to ensure the temps stay within comfortable limits for the dogs. So, a coach (perhaps a 5th wheel - never owned) will autostart to maintain temp, but a diesel truck likely not. It just seems when traveling and the dog/cat are in the truck cab with you, then you stop for lunch, groceries, or rest stop on a hot day you have to transfer them to the trailer, set the cooling and generator, and that seems tedious. Whereas the coach, simply a non-issue. Besides, we enjoy having the dogs with us, and they appreciate being with us too. I wouldn't want to spend my day locked in a dark trailer and no human contact as it bumps and rattles down the road.

One last thought, what are the state laws? Some prohibit pets from being occupants in a trailer I believe, or at least they did when I was a kid.

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
I don't want to even know that someone would put their pet in a unit being towed, bounced around, hot/cold, dark, and noisy. Our girl Sadie is part of the "pack" and rides in the MH on the couch wth her seat belt attached. She travels great, even let's us know when she wants a window open to get fresh air. No brainier for us between a MH and a 5er... MH wins hand down for traveling with pets. You have time to get them trained.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKW View Post
We have two small dogs, of which travel in dog booster seats equipped with short tethers on the passengers seat positions in our motorcoach. We occasionally use a doggie gate directly behind our forward seats on long driving days to allow them to sleep better in their own beds and get water. When we make short stops (groceries, rest stops) or gone several hours during the day we always have the coach heat/cooling set and generator in auto-start to ensure the temps stay within comfortable limits for the dogs. So, a coach (perhaps a 5th wheel - never owned) will autostart to maintain temp, but a diesel truck likely not. It just seems when traveling and the dog/cat are in the truck cab with you, then you stop for lunch, groceries, or rest stop on a hot day you have to transfer them to the trailer, set the cooling and generator, and that seems tedious. Whereas the coach, simply a non-issue. Besides, we enjoy having the dogs with us, and they appreciate being with us too. I wouldn't want to spend my day locked in a dark trailer and no human contact as it bumps and rattles down the road.

One last thought, what are the state laws? Some prohibit pets from being occupants in a trailer I believe, or at least they did when I was a kid.

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
You are correct. Transferring to the 5th wheel, opening slides, starting genny is tedious. Not impossible, but tedious. Not sure about the legalities since all horses and livestock are hauled in trailers. However, there's no way you would put your pets in a 5th wheel in Texas or Arizona heat, or any other hot climate. It would be unbearable.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
The trailers for livestock are open and ventellated unlike the inside of a fifthwheel or TT. That would be very different. the animals can had more air and are not closed in.

Tags
travel