Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #29

when we had the truck/5th wheel, our dog Abbey rode in the back seat in a seatbelt harness. She could get her front paws on the console between us and that was great.. Now that we have a motorhome she travels in a seat belt harness also. I got the buckle out from behind the recliner on the drivers side and hooked her up there. Once again she can get up between us but no where near getting in my lap.she is very happy there and I think safe. Can't say for cats. never had one. She also uses a seat belt harness in either car in the back seat.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgilj View Post
We are in the process of deciding MH or Fifth Wheel. We are about a year away from purchasing. Then first year out after purchasing would be for just 4 months of travel and come back to s&b to work 8 months. Then, maybe, workcamping part years or fulltime after that. We are open (read undecided).

We have a 9year old dog and a young cat (1 year old). Neither one is "car trained".
We are leaning toward a Fifth Wheel because I'm 6'8" and for the feel of the 5'er.
We're interested in peoples experiences traveling with a cat and dog. We figured the dog in the truck, possibly in a kennel in the backseat of a dually crewcab truck. What about the cat?? What do people do with the cat when travelling... in a kennel in the truck...in a kennel in the Fifth Wheel...loose in the Fifth Wheel...???
When we had our FW, our black lab (diesel) and our cat (Elvis) would ride together in the back of the crew cab. I folded the seats, extended the floor panels and laid a moving blanket down. Since the cat was raised since a kitten with. The dog, it was just like them laying around in our den together. Elvis still acts like a dog... Doesn't get up on anything... We used a small water dish they shared and they did without food as we fed them before we left the house. When we stopped for a restroom break, took Diesel for a short walk and took Elvis litter box out of FW and let him use it in the truck. All good. Arrived at destinations, sometimes 5 hours, in great shape and happy as they both were with us all during the trip. Diesel passed away October 2013 and Elvis continued his routine when traveling. Now that we have a motorhome, we are curious to see how he behaves with all the added room to roam...
PPAinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I guess some cats take to riding in a motorhome better than others! Here are three of our seven cats. The others like to lay between the seats, on my DW's lap or under a chair till we stop. These three are Japanese Bobtails and the one on the far right was on her first trip with us. When we had dogs they curled up on the couch and slept.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JBTs in MH.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	80818  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #32

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Cat in truck

Our cat "Miss Lizzie La Phew" has camped since she was 6 months old. She is now 9 and still does not like it. We have her crate on the back seat and once we are in motion she is allowed out. She has a harness like a puppy so we can get a tight grip on her when necessary. She lays on the console between the navigator and the pilot. She knows not climb on the driver etc. It usually takes 30 miles before she stops complaining (meow, meow and meow!!!) We leave right after Christmas for 3 months in Florida. She will have to adjust to a new site this year.

We got a cat instead of a dog for camping because I am too lazy to get up early and walk a dog.

Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #33

Traveling w/Pets

We've been traveling with our 2/3 cats for over 10 years. The 1st 2 started when they were young and traveled very well. Our current 3, age 6 to 8, just started traveling in 2014. They did wonderfully. DO NOT TRAVEL WITH THEM IN THE TRAILER!!!!! Transfer them back and forth from the truck to the trailer. Start with putting them in the trailer on your driveway, to get their smell in it. Take them for short trips in the truck. It will all work out.
tomden2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #34

Dogs and Truck

I think our dogs would be more comfortable in a MH but since we have a crew cab truck that is not to be. I created a platform, covered with I/O carpet which is placed behind the front seats with the rear seating folded up. The dogs have a bowl of water handy and either nap or look out the window.

We do stop every hour and a half or two to stretch our legs and walk the dogs. We are slow travelers and seldom spend more than 4 or 5 hours on the road any given day. Sometimes a LOT less.

Recently we were talking about the pros and cons of a fifth vs. a class C motor home. Both have their high points. But, for the cost of a previously owned class C we can buy a VERY nice late model (used) modern fifth.

Resting in the fifth. 45 lb female, 62 lb male
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0637.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	84333  
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel