Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #1

Traveling with pets and a Fifth wheel

We are in the process of deciding MH or Fifth Wheel. We are about a year away from purchasing. Then first year out after purchasing would be for just 4 months of travel and come back to s&b to work 8 months. Then, maybe, workcamping part years or fulltime after that. We are open (read undecided).

We have a 9year old dog and a young cat (1 year old). Neither one is "car trained".
We are leaning toward a Fifth Wheel because I'm 6'8" and for the feel of the 5'er.
We're interested in peoples experiences traveling with a cat and dog. We figured the dog in the truck, possibly in a kennel in the backseat of a dually crewcab truck. What about the cat?? What do people do with the cat when travelling... in a kennel in the truck...in a kennel in the Fifth Wheel...loose in the Fifth Wheel...???
Virgil jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2014, 11:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
IMHO, would be cruel to put any animal in any type of trailer ---
and dangerous when you opened the door to see them BOLT out at you

We got a hammock like this that hangs between the front and back seats of our crew cab, and the dog LOVES it ---
throw HIS pillow in there and he's good for MUCH longer than me or the wife !
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
IMHO, would be cruel to put any animal in any type of trailer ---
and dangerous when you opened the door to see them BOLT out at you

We got a hammock like this that hangs between the front and back seats of our crew cab, and the dog LOVES it ---
throw HIS pillow in there and he's good for MUCH longer than me or the wife !
Our previous cat was a rescued feral and tended to hide or crawl way behind something when he thought we were going to put him in his crate for travel. So once he did that when we only had about a 6 mile trip to our next destination so we left him in the fiver. When we got down the road and opened the door he was obviously traumatized from just that short trip. It is a pretty rough ride in the trailer.
Oh, and he traveled pretty well with our golden retriever in the back seat of the truck.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:27 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
My wife and i have had both (motorhome now) and we put a barrier in the back seat of a crew cab dogs did fine BUT i think they like the motorhome better they can walk around look out the windows, BARK!!! but most important they can get water and feel like we are with them more (we have 5 vizsla pointers) and 1 goes to the back bed and sleeps ,2 sleep on the floor and 1 sofa and 1 on my wifes lap lol!!
sledwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:57 PM   #5

Our two dogs travel in the back seat of the truck with harnesses and seat belts.
they do quite well that way, can sit up or lay down, move some.
I wouldn't put dogs or cats in the trailer for travel I think it's quite noisy and rough.
Since you have plenty of time before buying rv it would be a good idea to start taking both with you in your care to get them accustomed to riding.
never have taken a cat, however wife had a friend who took hers travelling, she had a carrier for it to ride in and whenever she got the carrier out the cat would get right in because it knew they were going someplace.
Milt
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:56 PM   #6

I would not put our dog in the trailer while travelling. Too rough possibly in the exhaust and with no A/C running. Our dog has many thousands of miles riding contently in the back seat.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:36 AM   #7

Keeping the dog in the truck, great. The cat in the camper, not so much. ... and I do not like cats.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #8

We have had 2 or 3 small dogs for a long time--they have all traveled well in the tow vehicle by tethering to shoulder belts--dog harness to shoulder harness. They quickly have each/all learned to behave and enjoy the travel, and look forward to going when the packing starts. I do not like the idea of an unrestrained animal in the vehicle, especially knowing how many times I have heard of them getting loose just as the door is opened. Have also seen some leash-trained cats in campgrounds--kind of neat to see.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #9
JDT

We bought a couple of beds on Amazon for our two Boston terriers that have a strap that goes over the head rest on the back seat. They also have a short leash so we can strap them in with their harnesses on. We threw in a couple of small blankets and they will sleep all day. As far as the cat, I think I would look at a small crate for the back seat. Potty breaks is where I can't help because you can walk the dog but you lose me with the cat. Whatever you do you need to start your training so they are used to it. Since our dogs have their own beds at home they took right to the traveling beds.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #10

Our small "lap-dogs" travel unrestricted in the TV. They know their places and are no problem. Now, if we brought the cat...... pandemonium would break out. lol) They hate the cat!
empty_nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #11

We've been traveling with our 2 Bengal cats for 10 years. Started traveling with them right off the bat. I would never ever put them in the 5th wheel while traveling. The way things get tossed around in there and not being able to see them. No way in my opinion. Cats typically aren't to fond of traveling to begin with and then to add that stess no way. We bought a fairly good size small dog cage with a nice bed and put them both in there and in the TV. They still wine a bit when we put them in but settle down and sleep together for most any trip.
BQuint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #12

Leaving a pet in a trailer is cruel. How would you like for an alien to swoop down, put you into a hot tin can and shake you around for a good 8 hours daily? They are already stressed traveling, but to be separated it ads to the stress. I have a cat and a pig in my class A. They travel great, the can see us and come up for attention, and they don't have to endure the stress of moving from trailer to truck, they always have the same comforting surroundings, air conditioning and us to calm them and keep an eye on them. When I started RV'ing I had an Airstream, Left Tucson and by the time I made it to Anthony Texas I was trading the truck and Airstream in on a class A.
Incognito. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:26 AM   #13
M2D

It is good to be mindful of possible problems in case of an accident.

Many of my friends who travel with their dogs have information attached to their dogs travel crates (cages the dogs ride in while in the car/truck.

An animal control officer I know is called to the scene of accidents when pets are involved. She has said that having information in the glove compartment and/or posted somewhere in the car/truck telling who to call in case of trouble is helpful. You might want to have instructions saying that your pet is to be treated if injured and boarded at a vet until they are claimed. Our instructions say that we or our estate if we are dead will pay the bill. Our relatives who are the contacts know this.You might be incapacitated and need an ambulance and hospitalization.

Also it is good if your pet is comfortably restrained in some way like in a travel crate. This will help emergency personnel who may have to cut you out of the vehicle or transfer you to an ambulance.

Being somehow confines is good for the dog as many dogs have run off in terror after an accident. They get lost or are hit by a car or hit by a car and then run off into the woods by the side of the road.

Also another unpleasant fact is that if your pet is upset and worried about your injuries they may act in a threatening way towards the people trying to help you. If your pet is confined the emergency personnel will be more comfortable. You do not want an officer to feel that he has to shoot your dog to save your life. I know that sounds extreme but it could happen.

Not a pleasant topic but it is something to think about.

M2D
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #14

We have a one year old cat that rides beautifully in her carrier in the car. She loved staying in our motorhome for two months earlier this year. We have a small collapsible dog kennel when she wants to go outside. We put a harness on her and let her stay out as long as she wants to. We have just purchased a new 5er and she loves running from end to end in that as well. We have spent a couple of nights in it and she thinks it is great.. She was a rescued kitten which we adopted from the humane society. A cat either enjoys riding in the car or does NOT.. Simple as that, but we believe early car training was responsible for her liking it.
In the motorhome, we made a door stopper out of a roll up mat turned on it's side.. She didn't like jumping over it to go down the steps which were on the inside. With the 5er, the steps are outside, so we think the roll up mat will work again. Although, now that she is used to being in the RV, she is less likely to run out.. Still a possibility and one has to remain diligent when going in or out.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1407684378.718664.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	638.1 KB
ID:	70388Here she is resting on the bed.

2014 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel 313RLI --Bill & Carol Horton

Tags
travel