Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Anyone know why stores like Home Depot and Lowes, who know a large percentage of their patrons will be driving trucks, and sometimes big (3/4 ton or bigger) trucks, make their parking spots so darn small? In addition to the size you have to make a 90 degree turn into the spot. End of rant!(for now)
I pulled my 5er with 3/4 ton crew cab 6 1/2 ' bed and got around pretty good, but while on the road sometimes wish I had the dully just for peace of mind. Solved problem, now have class A.
The easiest way to park a long wheel base PU in a straight in space is to back in. That includes 1/2T & 3/4T. I can back my dually in a space that won't leave enough room for cars beside it to open their doors and I can do it easy. (I don't reccoment it though). The concern about a dually being so wide is more mental than physical. Acording to Dodge specs, the dually is 7" wider on each side than a 3/4T and probaly a 1/2T. Like I tell people with those concerns, if you are too close with a dually you are real close with a SRW. The only place that I have found that I just couldn't get into was at home when I wanted to back in between 2 posts that were on 8' centers. There have been places that I avoided (like driveins) because it wasn't worth the trouble to try.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
Traveling with DRW vs SRW

Having owned both duallys and SRW the first thing to remember is which will pull your fiver in the safest manner. After you unhook the camper there is not much drifference in driving around town as long as you remember u turns, most atms and drive thru windows won't work. I will usually park at the far end of parking lots ( good exercise ) and back in or park where I can pull straight out as most parking lots require several attempts if you have to back out, this applies to the dually or any long bed SRW.

pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #17

There are issues for DRWs; width is probably the biggest, and length, since most DRWs have an 8' bed. There is also the cost; not the initial cost, although they do cost more, but, rather the fact that you've 6 tires to maintain and purchase when the need arises.

My take is, if you need a DRW for your rig, then buy one and worry about the rest later. If you need it, you need it. As many have posted, most of it is getting used to the slightly wider hips and foregoing drive-thrus and "close to the entrance" parking at stores and sightseeing sights, none of them a big deal if you need the extra load support of a DRW and if you need the load support, the issues come with territory.

If you don't need a DRW for your rig, why take on the issues? I tow fine with my SRW short bed, I'm under all of the numbers. My wife will drive it (under duress and as long as there's no trailer attached), but, I know for a fact that she won't even consider getting behind the wheel of a DRW with an 8' bed, even without a trailer. She won't even get behind the wheel of a SRW with an 8' bed. My SRW short bed will go anywhere a large car will go (as long as I've got the headroom), although, I have run into some parking lots that seem to be aimed at a Prius... I've heard, and will go along with, the implication that they may be more stable than a SRW, but, I've never run into any situations where my SRW didn't feel rock solid on the road. Now the "cowboy" in me thinks a DRW RAM 3500 is just way too cool... Nah...I've been married too long to this woman to go looking for another that would wrangle one of those big boys...

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #18
I used to drive a 3/4T Dodge CTD, long-bed, extra-cab. It would not turn any shorter than my present dually. I can drive most anywhere I want, except some parking garages. DW and I always park away from the building to get the exercise, whether we are in my dually or her Jeep Grand Cherokee, plus we don't miss the paint chips and dings from others carelessness. Stability, like I said I've owned both SRW and DRW. There is significant stability difference, even when empty, in a strong crosswind.
If the load you plan to haul/tow exceeds the truck rating, I don't care what anyone says- it is unsafe- your family depends on your choice.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #19
KZ RV Club
Tow heavy with a DRW vs SRW and you'll never want another SRW.

I drive mine everyday and have yet to run into anything that is any more of an issue than with any previous SRW I've ever owned. I don't do drive-throughs and I can't remember the last time I used a drive up ATM, so those are mute points. I also never park close to anyone at the local weekend household professionals warehouses and if I have to go to Walmart I always park in the auto center.....shorter line and you don't have to deal with the more "interesting" folks.

The only thing I find an inconvenience is washing it. I hate my truck dirty and I really like the carwash....can't run the dually through the local carwash and it's a lot of real estate.

Now, I hear folks talk about their SRW towing just fine. I have yet to tow a GN or 5th that didn't tow more comfortably with a DRW. If you have tires rated at, lets say 3040 lbs each, your truck weighs 7300 - 8300 depending on cab and drive configuration BEFORE adding hitches, cargo, passengers, toolboxes, extra fuel tanks, etc. Let's say that, being generous, the weight bias is 70-30, front to rear. That's 2,190 - 2,490 lbs already on the rear tires (remember generous), effectively taking one tire out of the picture. What's your dry pin weight? Loaded pin weight? Get the picture?

Now, take a look at many of the new SRW's today....what size are the wheels? 18-20"? What tires are on them? All Terrains with deep tread that tends to be a little squirmy. And, I know most folks don't take the time to run those tires up to 80 psi either to get that full load capacity.

Now, we all know that tires run in dually configuration are suppossed to be rated a little lower. So lets say instead of 3040 we take that down to 2000 lbs each, which isn't even close, and you still have 8000 lbs worth of tire back there instead of 6000.

Unless you're towing one of the new lightweight 5'vers or a TT, you're doing it safer with a DRW. All things being equal, you buy the equipment that is right for the task. Remember, just because your truck CAN tow it, doesn't mean it's necessarilly ideal. The only real judge of that is you. But, if you're concerned about daily driving a DRW, that goes away in about the first month of having one.

Remember, equipment run at or near it's max capacity always wears faster or breaks before equipment run in the middle of it's rating.
2013 KZ 336RE
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/CC/4WD
3 fur kids and a wife that put up with 20 years in the Army.
Cumminalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #20
Texas Boomers Club
Anyone know why stores like Home Depot and Lowes, who know a large percentage of their patrons will be driving trucks, and sometimes big (3/4 ton or bigger) trucks, make their parking spots so darn small? In addition to the size you have to make a 90 degree turn into the spot. End of rant!(for now)
I pulled my 5er with 3/4 ton crew cab 6 1/2 ' bed and got around pretty good, but while on the road sometimes wish I had the dully just for peace of mind. Solved problem, now have class A.
None of the trucks park in the lot??? All the contractors pull up in front of the doors to pick up a box of nails.. Funny though, was just in Lowe's lot yesterday and said same thing to wife. For a store that expects lots of trucks they got small spaces and narrow lanes and it is a free for all...
2010 Dodge Ram Laramie Big Bertha
2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
Dave and Jeannie with Chico & Princess Miss Bella
steelpony555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #21
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are a few draw backs like bank drive throughs, but the advantages are far outweighed by the extra stability when towing.

A dually has been our only vehicle for almost 7 years of full timing, and haven't had any real problems.
Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #22
In my town, the municipality dictates the size and amount of parking spaces a business must have. And also how much "green space". At my local Lowes, my SRW CC Longbed takes up 4 spaces! At Walmart, I can manage it in 2. I think the town believes that if they only put in compact parking spaces, people will only drive compact cars!
FLCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #23
Just remember safety first. Don't over load ; after that it is personnel preference. Good luck and happy trails
2005 Montana
2005 GMC 2500
bradufault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #24
Fleetwood Owners Club
There have been places that I avoided (like driveins) because it wasn't worth the trouble to try.[/QUOTE]

Driveins, I've heard of those, places where you watch movies, right? Is there still some around?
Tim & Mary Discovery 40X. Chevy Tahoe. RVM32
"I've been lost now, days uncounted..."GFR"
huntnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Driveins, I've heard of those, places where you watch movies, right? Is there still some around?
Yep, HERE's one that is about 15 miles from our house.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #26
My father and I both pull with late model F350 diesels 11.4 GVW and do just fine. They have a 2012 Montana Mountaineer 346LBQ and we pull a 2008 Copper Canyon 297BHD. If you need the capacity of a dually, by all means get it. I sure would. Our coach could probably be handled by a "heavy half ton" without too much trouble. But by the time I add my wife, 3 kids and a boat behind the 5th, it's just not a risk I'm going to take. Our single wheel will handle any coach we'd ever want to pull, We pull our boat in tandem, and it needs to sit in our driveway when we're not on the road, so length and weight is a consideration when we trade trailers. Another plus to our truck is it fits in our garage. It's driven when we need to pull or haul something as I can't see wearing out a nice diesel for a "daily driver". As far as our SRW being "squirmy", I don't experiance that with ours, but it's not loaded heavy either. If we were fulltiming with a heavy 4 seasons coach I'd maybe rethink my position, but for now, this works fine. I'd say, and this is from a 37 yr old who is by no means an "expert" and won't claim to be either......buy the coach of your dreams and then spec the proper unit to pull it with safely, if it takes a dually, so be it. Or if you have a realistic tow vehicle already, compromise on your coach alittle (we all don't need $100,000 full time coaches....even though we might want one) and purchase a coach your vehicle can handle safely.
Trent & Jody.
2004 DRV Mobile Suites 33RS3
2016 Ford F350 DRW Lariat 6-pack 4x4 Diesel 14K GVW
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Agree - if the weights call for it - go for the dually !!!

I too back into spots - even in our cars - studies show it's safer in the long run in that when first parking you KNOW what is around you, but when backing out - it's harder to detect obstacles than if pulling out forward ...

And most newer cars/trucks have rear view cameras now (some, like my stepsons raptor, has front cameras too ) They also turn a LOT faster than older vehicles...
my current ford will turn well inside many cars
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #28
We have no problem pulling our Montana 3400RL with our 2008 Dodge 3500HD Cummins SRW. We pull through The Rockies of Alberta and British Columbia, which includes the Coquihalla Highway (the highway from hell) and with the built-in jake brake it it effortless!

Paul & Lorraine, Alberta, Canada
Live for today!
Blog: www.montana4two.wordpress.com
montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote