Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #43

frt tire issues?? I've driven 2 DRW that I bought both new...been in them since 91....never had ANY frt tire issues..even with the factory installed tires. DRW truck tire rotations take maybe 5 or 10 minutes longer...the duals use the same lug nuts...it is just a matter of sliding off and on 2 more tire/wheels.

DRW vs SRW debate is the same as who makes the best beer or oil....everyone has a liking and or an opinion...what works for some, won't work for others (be it right or wrong)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #44
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
Most DRWs have front tire issues and rotating tires gets complicated. I prefer a loaded rear tire for comfort.
Sounds like you are complicating things. I have had the dualy for 12 1/2 yrs with no tire issues (no even a flat). I now have over 90K on the PU. I got 65K on the duals and about 3K more on the front. I didn't rotate the tires. Can't get much more simple than that. According to the tire chart, @ 50lbs the duals will carry more than the rear axle rating. I run 60 lbs front & rear. It rides much better than 3/4T I had before it (loaded or empty) and they both had the same tire size. The poorest ride is with about 800lbs. That's when it hits a much heavier spring leaf.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
I have heard of so many scary things like only 35 psi in the rear tires of a F450 because the owner found it drove way to rough with more. Most DRWs have front tire issues and rotating tires gets complicated. I prefer a loaded rear tire for comfort.
1. My dually runs 60 PSIG front and 65 PSIG rear at maximum GAWRs. It tows, handles and rides fine at these pressures.

2. I've been towing with duallies since 1996 and have NEVER had the fronts wear out before the rears.

I seriously don't see how one can even try to justify a 3/4 ton truck running well over its GVWR as a superior 5th wheel tow rig over a 1 ton dually that's fully rated for the job - GCWR, GVWR and GAWRs - and towing well within its capacities.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post

I seriously don't see how one can even try to justify a 3/4 ton truck running well over its GVWR as a superior 5th wheel tow rig over a 1 ton dually that's fully rated for the job - GCWR, GVWR and GAWRs - and towing well within its capacities.

Rusty

It is amazing at the "Theories" people can come up with to justify their beliefs. Politics would have been an excellent field of employment.

Ken
Old 07-08-2013, 04:44 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

It is amazing at the "Theories" people can come up with to justify their beliefs. Politics would have been an excellent field of employment.

Ken
X3, there is no justification for pulling a FW with a SRW Truck unless it is a VERY light FW and no longer than 30ft...the Dually's are just so much more stable in the rear that it is a joke compare to SRW, especially on curves in the mountains, a heavy FW can push a SRW around easily...and IF you did blow one rear tire it would be catastrophic, I towed with a SRW for a short time...my knuckles have just started loosing the white color 10 yrs later!
Old 07-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #48

I had a rear tire failure and on a different occasion broke all the rear studs on my GM 2500 while towing previous RV and still do not believe I need a dually. Front tire failure for me would be more serious. So I feel very deligent on checking my front tires.
Rear tire failure just caused a vibration that I pulled over to check the rearend. With the broken studs the wheel just fell of the hub with no traction on rear. The srw wheels are center line that held the wheel till truck slowed down. Not that lucky with offset wheels on duelly. Plus no fender damaged sustained in both occasion.

But after seeing the damage done to rear box fenders on 1/2 tons due to axle failures I feel that floating rear axles are a requirements for towing a fiftwheel. And less then E rated would be a worst on tire failure.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #49

Quote:
I had a rear tire failure and on a different occasion broke all the rear studs on my GM 2500 while towing previous RV and still do not believe I need a dually. Front tire failure for me would be more serious. So I feel very deligent on checking my front tires.
Rear tire failure just caused a vibration that I pulled over to check the rearend. With the broken studs the wheel just fell of the hub with no traction on rear. The srw wheels are center line that held the wheel till truck slowed down. Not that lucky with offset wheels on duelly. Plus no fender damaged sustained in both occasion.

But after seeing the damage done to rear box fenders on 1/2 tons due to axle failures I feel that floating rear axles are a requirements for towing a fifthwheel. And less then E rated would be a worst on tire failure.
If you check your pin weight with your RV loaded you are probably over on the F250 max payload, definitely over going down a 6% grade, thats where you want dual rear wheels for stability...don't know if you have ever pulled that same unit with a Dually, but believe me if you do you will notice the stability and control difference straight away...you can even see ho your truck is squatted and the front end is up, the first brakes that are going to lock and skid are the front wheel brakes...a blown rear tire even more down on the back and more up on the front...thanks, but no thanks...
Old 07-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #50

Excel Owners Club
I'm on my fifth dually, not sure I'd know how to drive a car anymore... Some drive thurs could be tight, and the bank drive thru. I park out when shopping, in fact in any lot. The extra walk, a good thing.

Mary
Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
If you check your pin weight with your RV loaded you are probably over on the F250 max payload, definitely over going down a 6% grade, thats where you want dual rear wheels for stability...don't know if you have ever pulled that same unit with a Dually, but believe me if you do you will notice the stability and control difference straight away...you can even see ho your truck is squatted and the front end is up, the first brakes that are going to lock and skid are the front wheel brakes...a blown rear tire even more down on the back and more up on the front...thanks, but no thanks...
I went from a D3500 flat bed with a long wheel base dually to a D2500 srw. I see no difference other than the newer 2500 has better suspension and brakes. Front axle carries 4200 lbs and rear 4200 lbs. A 5r distributes the weight to both axles. On drw you have skinney single tires up front. the actual footprint of both axles is close to the same with drw or srw . All around I prefer my D2500 to tow my 12,500 gvw trailer. That said, if you have a 41ft 5r, you need a kenworth ,and all 5rs over 36 ft need 3 8000lb axles.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oldbeek - I don't know how you get the 5er pin weight to load both axles. My DRW has the centerline of the pin about 2" forward of the rear axle. The majority of the load is carried on the rear axle and the front axle goes up about 150#. What you have posted has a lot of misconceptions.

That is the problem. A lot of people DO believe that you can't put anything on the internet unless it is true. I think I'll run an ad as a French model---Bon jour!

Ken
Old 07-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #53
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Oldbeek - I don't know how you get the 5er pin weight to load both axles. My DRW has the centerline of the pin about 2" forward of the rear axle. The majority of the load is carried on the rear axle and the front axle goes up about 150#. What you have posted has a lot of misconceptions.

That is the problem. A lot of people DO believe that you can't put anything on the internet unless it is true. I think I'll run an ad as a French model---Bon jour!

Ken
What Oldbeek said is true if it only adds 1lb to front axle but is miss leading for people that don't know. We should be giving straight forward info about what really happens.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:19 AM   #54

Truck empty 3900# front 2600# rear. With trailer on and loaded 4200frt and 4200rear. 325# of people in the front seat. Pin is 2 inch forward of center of rear axle and this is an extra cab 2500 dodge. Not extra long wheel base like 4 dr cab. I can't argue with the scale ticket.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:34 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
I see no difference other than the newer 2500 has better suspension and brakes.
In what way?...If the D3500 is an old model it MAY have smaller sized disc brakes and yes that would be an advantage for sure...but suspension I don't think the D2500 would be rated to carry more than a D3500 and the load rating would also depend on the single tires you are running...

I had a '94 Dodge Dually 4X4, removed Truck bed, installed a 22k Dump Bed, loaded with rocks from Okla I weighed in at 20,900 lbs gross, drove 65 mph for 100 miles to job site, no problems...try that in a SRW, the tires wouldn't last for 10 miles...

You can't beat a dually for hauling heavy bed loads, my Toyhauler is at 3500 pin static load at times, no way I am going to trust that on SRW, as you hit a bump at 65 mph and the dynamic pin load then goes to 5000+ lbs or more...way over SRW rating (I.E. I-10) or check your pin load while static or dynamic downhill on a 6%-7% Grade while applying the brakes = excessive pin load to the max = missile if you lose a tire...thanks but no thanks...the color has just now come back into my knuckles...
Old 07-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #56
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
Truck empty 3900# front 2600# rear. With trailer on and loaded 4200frt and 4200rear. 325# of people in the front seat. Pin is 2 inch forward of center of rear axle and this is an extra cab 2500 dodge. Not extra long wheel base like 4 dr cab. I can't argue with the scale ticket.
I can't argue with the scale ticket either but you need to have everything but the pin weight for empty weight. Then you will see that most of the pin weight is on the rear axle..

Tags
handicap