Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
In our town if you park in 2 spaces they will give you a ticket. For those that park in the back of the lot, wait till you have a handicap. Those blue lines will get you a ticket if your fat dually has a tire on it. Modern super singles are as stable as duals. I also own a DRW 3500 with 300,000 on it. Speaking from experience with both.
I see a lawyer in your future..... they do not make allowances for a handicap person in a state authorized personal vehicle?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, adding people to the cab will add to the front axles weight. You need a truck weight with everything except the pin load.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #59

Truck empty wt 6400, 3800 frt 2600 rear. I don't want to debate this forever. Some folks are implying that a srw is only good for a small light 5r. I am just stating my experience with a 12,000 gvw 5r. A srw 2500 pulls and handles fine. Including 2 trips to Alaska over the NW territory frost heaves. I have done all the side trips in AK that most folks are afraid of. But at one point I was a class 8 driver and don't go crashing down the road. My last trip to AK, I was with a friend with a DRW Ford. Truck was great but trailer suspension was to small as is true with most big 5r's. He used up 4 tires. I still use the example of the concrete transit mixers in CA use singles because a lot of weight is on the front axle. There is no more unstable rig than a mixer full of turning mud. It all has a lot to do with personal preference.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:10 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
frt tire issues?? I've driven 2 DRW that I bought both new...been in them since 91....never had ANY frt tire issues..even with the factory installed tires. DRW truck tire rotations take maybe 5 or 10 minutes longer...the duals use the same lug nuts...it is just a matter of sliding off and on 2 more tire/wheels.

DRW vs SRW debate is the same as who makes the best beer or oil....everyone has a liking and or an opinion...what works for some, won't work for others (be it right or wrong)
Having owned both at one time I'm in total agreement ^^^.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #61

I am not saying singles are more capable the duals. But unlike I am being told all the time they are very practical when loaded properly. I have well balanced unit that tows well and have good pin weight.
All my bodies have duals and they seam to complain more then I do. And they tow smaller units with tire problems due to limited elation with 3 types of wheels on each trucks.
On F450 owner can't trade his truck due to size and 2wd so he does not drive south anymore. The other finds the drive to hard so bought a unit south and leaves it there. We love the trip south its relaxing to do it with the truck and RV.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #62

I find the biggest advantage of a dually is the safety factor. Experience a blow out once with a SRW truck and you will wish you stuck to the dually,,,,
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeplazek View Post
I find the biggest advantage of a dually is the safety factor. Experience a blow out once with a SRW truck and you will wish you stuck to the dually,,,,
I had a blow on on a '81 chevy 3500 DRW truck pulling a GN trailer. The truck went into the ditch. Insurance company totaled the three year old truck. And this wasn't the only DRW that went on a off road trip from a flat tire.

Having driven these size truck on the road for several years making a living I've had many tires suddenly blow out or loose air so quick it was flat before I realized it.

IMO its rather silly pushing the blown rear tire scare tactic when its the front tire that blows out and creates bad smells in the cab of the truck and a possible trip to the ditch. Hell a blown tire on the rear of any truck was never that big of a deal pulling a load or empty.

Use the size truck you feel comfortable with and stop spreading scare theories about blow tires.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #64

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Use the size truck you feel comfortable with.....
With all respect, feelings and emotions don't have any part in this decision. The manufacturers state that the truck should not be operated over ANY of its ratings when towing - this includes GCWR, GVWR and GAWRs. If a SRW truck is within all of these ratings when towing a given 5th wheel, fine. If not, then one is left with the conscious decision of towing in excess of the manufacturer's ratings, moving to a lighter 5th wheel or moving to a DRW truck.

It's a simple question of mathematics and the resulting choices that one makes if the numbers don't work out.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
With all respect, feelings and emotions don't have any part in this decision. The manufacturers state that the truck should not be operated over ANY of its ratings when towing - this includes GCWR, GVWR and GAWRs. If a SRW truck is within all of these ratings when towing a given 5th wheel, fine. If not, then one is left with the conscious decision of towing in excess of the manufacturer's ratings, moving to a lighter 5th wheel or moving to a DRW truck.

It's a simple question of mathematics and the resulting choices that one makes if the numbers don't work out.

Rusty

Well stated Rusty. It is easy to do the math and know for sure.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
I had a blow on on a '81 chevy 3500 DRW truck pulling a GN trailer. The truck went into the ditch. Insurance company totaled the three year old truck. And this wasn't the only DRW that went on a off road trip from a flat tire.

Having driven these size truck on the road for several years making a living I've had many tires suddenly blow out or loose air so quick it was flat before I realized it.

IMO its rather silly pushing the blown rear tire scare tactic when its the front tire that blows out and creates bad smells in the cab of the truck and a possible trip to the ditch. Hell a blown tire on the rear of any truck was never that big of a deal pulling a load or empty.

Use the size truck you feel comfortable with and stop spreading scare theories about blow tires.

Really,,, so you think if a rear tire blows and you have a helper tire left its not better than nothing at all. Plus the added weight on a single puts way more heat into the tire taxing it to its limits. Two tires run cooler spreading out the weight and not taxing the tires to the max.

I really don't feel I want to "scare tactic" anybody into driving and towing with a dually and you have your opinion and I have mine. Tow with what you want but don't call me out on "theories" because I speak in facts,,,

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #67

I see a lot of "super singles" on truck tractor semitrailer combinations...
Old 07-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #68

Texas Boomers Club
Have you seen any offered for 1 ton dual rear wheel trucks with comparable load ratings to the existing dual tires on each side? I haven't. I really don't know what Class 8 super singles have to do with this discussion about 3/4 and 1 ton SRW and DRW trucks.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post

Rusty
Your way off topic on this Rusty. Please stop taking a part of members replies and making it into something else.

My reply has nothing to do with weights but blown tire issues.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeplazek View Post
Really,,, so you think if a rear tire blows and you have a helper tire left its not better than nothing at all. Plus the added weight on a single puts way more heat into the tire taxing it to its limits. Two tires run cooler spreading out the weight and not taxing the tires to the max.

I really don't feel I want to "scare tactic" anybody into driving and towing with a dually and you have your opinion and I have mine. Tow with what you want but don't call me out on "theories" because I speak in facts,,,

joe
Take a kool aid break.
The DRW has no benefit over a SRW if the blown tire is on the front was my point which the DRW only crowd doesn't want mentioned

I tow with both. I've had blown tires on fronts and rears so I know what the facts are. Your experiences have been different than mine is all.

Tags
handicap