Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Take a kool aid break.
The DRW has no benefit over a SRW if the blown tire is on the front was my point which the DRW only crowd doesn't want mentioned

I tow with both. I've had blown tires on fronts and rears so I know what the facts are. Your experiences have been different than mine is all.
Fact "is" a blow out with a less than 8000 lb RV compared to a 12,000 and up is a whole 'nother ball game...we have towed at 17,000 lbs many times, over double what your trailer weighs...so telling me a SRW is safe to have a blow out compared to a DRW falls on deaf ears, even descending a 6-7% grade...
The old adage applies here: "You can Pi$$ on my leg, but don't try an tell me it is rain"
The newer larger heavier than ever 5th Wheels should come standard with disc brakes, Load Range H Tires, Alcoa Rims, and minimum to pull one should be DRW with Exhaust Brake...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
And both SRW and DRW can have a blow out, so the tire blow out only applies to the rear wheels. The more truck you have in front of the trailer, the safer you are. Running SRW truck 1000# over rated load is a disaster waiting to happen.

And Rusty was on topic, so lighten up and have another cup of coffee.

Ken

Old 07-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerl View Post
One of the advantages of travelling with a 5th wheel is being able to unhitch and take the truck downtown or anywhere a car can go. My question is for those of you with a dually how does it compare to SRW when wanting to to take a side trip or shopping trip when parking may be more limited. Does it present difficulties? Are there places you can't go because of the dually? Thanks.
There have been a couple roads where I have had to wait as a large vehicle came the other way. Most of my problem comes in the construction zones as those 'compact' vehicles feel they are 10' wide and crowd my lane. I have less issues with tractor trailers. We also have a couple of backwards turns that I try to stay away from. Parking lots, I go early and park closer or later and park in the boonies. You will always be able to fit a smaller vehicle in more places but I only take the other vehicle when it is home and we are going store hopping ( :( ).
Weight is not mentioned so I will not go there.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Fact "is" a blow out with a less than 8000 lb RV compared to a 12,000 and up is a whole 'nother ball game...we have towed at 17,000 lbs many times, over double what your trailer weighs...so telling me a SRW is safe to have a blow out compared to a DRW falls on deaf ears, even descending a 6-7% grade...
The old adage applies here: "You can Pi$$ on my leg, but don't try an tell me it is rain"
The newer larger heavier than ever 5th Wheels should come standard with disc brakes, Load Range H Tires, Alcoa Rims, and minimum to pull one should be DRW with Exhaust Brake...
My point on front tire blow outs seems to have went right over your heads. Oh and by the way. I don't have a 8000 lb RV but is a 11200 lb RV.
I've also towed for many years commercially with several DRW trucks up to 26k to 32k combined so I know what its like to have a blown tire on the front or rear with up to a 22k trailer GN pushing me down the hill.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
And both SRW and DRW can have a blow out, so the tire blow out only applies to the rear wheels. The more truck you have in front of the trailer, the safer you are. Running SRW truck 1000# over rated load is a disaster waiting to happen.

And Rusty was on topic, so lighten up and have another cup of coffee.

Ken
LOL.
You have no clue what this back and forth is about and it sure isn't a over weight vehicle.
My reply above was to another member and I said;
"IMO its rather silly pushing the blown rear tire scare tactic when its the front tire that blows out and creates bad smells in the cab of the truck and a possible trip to the ditch. Hell a blown tire on the rear of any truck was never that big of a deal pulling a load or empty.
Use the size truck you feel comfortable with and stop spreading scare theories about blown tires."

How you or Rusty could turn my statement into a over weight vehicle is beyond me.

Now to address your and Rustys weight comments about a overloaded truck I have nothing to say as it has nothing to do with a blown tire on the front wheel of a SRW or DRW.
Travelling with a DRW vs. SRW
Old 07-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerl View Post
One of the advantages of traveling with a 5th wheel is being able to unhitch and take the truck downtown or anywhere a car can go. My question is for those of you with a dually how does it compare to SRW when wanting to to take a side trip or shopping trip when parking may be more limited. Does it present difficulties? Are there places you can't go because of the dually? Thanks.
Jim, you need to look in the mirror here. Above is the original post. He was not asking about blow outs or weight ratings. But as most threads go, they venture away from original topic. So your emphasis on front wheel blow outs is off topic as well.

The goal here is to answer a posters question truthfully and with as much information as is possible, so that they can make an educated decision.

Ken
Old 07-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Jim, you need to look in the mirror here. Above is the original post. He was not asking about blow outs or weight ratings. But as most threads go, they venture away from original topic. So your emphasis on front wheel blow outs is off topic as well.

The goal here is to answer a posters question truthfully and with as much information as is possible, so that they can make an educated decision.

Ken
Couldn't disagree more. You have a comprehension and reading problem. See my last post down at the bottom where I said "Travelling with a DRW vs. SRW".

The emphasis was already on SRW vs DRW tire blow outs before I made my reply. You'll have to come up with a better reason than that.

Quote:
Truth ?? As you see it.
IRV2 mission statement says: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts."
Old 07-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #78

As far as just driving around town goes, I have crew cab, LB dually. Really no difference than when I was driving my crew cab, LB SRW truck. Both fords, the mirrors are wider than the fenders. The only issue is tight corners with the duals riding up on the curb. I never go to auto car washes with either truck. I can get into the same drive thru windows as I did with the SRW, which with either one isn't all of them for sure.

But towing a 15,000lb 5th wheel is different. Even my wife in the passenger seat can tell the difference. And I'm not comparing an 1973 to a 2013 model either, which just the same model would be a huge difference. I'm talking a 2010 to a 2011.

It is my daily driver, but then I did drive a 40' straight frame Ladder truck weight 76,000lbs for 25 years.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:20 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
My point on front tire blow outs seems to have went right over your heads. Oh and by the way. I don't have a 8000 lb RV but is a 11200 lb RV.
I've also towed for many years commercially with several DRW trucks up to 26k to 32k combined so I know what its like to have a blown tire on the front or rear with up to a 22k trailer GN pushing me down the hill.
I agree 11,200 you can handle decently with a "F350" SRW...12k and up is dually territory...

F250's and HD2500's are pushing it over 10k trailer weight...
Old 07-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #80

Come on guys, this seems to be getting out of hand. Everyone has there likes and there is no way to change a persons mind. Some love Dodge, some Ford and others Chevy, I have had them all pulling a 40' toyhauler and I did like the dwr best, felt much more in control. Hope we can all make peace and get on with enjoying the time and travels we have left. Be safe, Don
Old 07-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman8 View Post
Come on guys, this seems to be getting out of hand. Everyone has there likes and there is no way to change a persons mind. Some love Dodge, some Ford and others Chevy, I have had them all pulling a 40' toyhauler and I did like the dwr best, felt much more in control. Hope we can all make peace and get on with enjoying the time and travels we have left. Be safe, Don
We're all just having a little "agree to disagree" nothing wrong with learning in/outs…some folks may be on the fence and this will help them...
Old 07-19-2013, 01:12 AM   #82

Nobody has brought this up, but if you blow a front tire on a F350 SRW and a front tire on a F350 DRW, all things being equal, the DRW truck will still be more stable and have more control. And on my semi trucks I don't care to run super singles on the trucks or trailers. Just not my cup of tea. I have two F350 SRW trucks with the V10 power, a F250 with 5.4 and a new F250 with a 6.2, both V8 gas. And to get off topic the new 6.2 which replaced the V10 6.8 engine just doesn't seem to pull as good as the V10s do. I only have 350 miles on it, so its kind of hard to tell. Haven't pulled anything with it yet, but it just doesn't seem to move the empty truck as easy as the V10s do. The 6.2 does have more HP, but the V10 has more torque. Am getting right at 10 mpg with the new 6.2 which is just what the V10s get also, running empty. We don't pull to heavy with the pickups are I would have DRW trucks.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #83
CD

Something that I haven't seen in this discussion is DRW has about 18" wide foot print. I haven't seen or heard of a single tire for a 1T PU that is even close to that. That gives a lot more stability and more rubber on the road. With more rubber on the road there is less chance for jack knife. Something none of us want to have happen is here ( read post #9 ).

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #84

Excel Owners Club
I just traded a 2011 srw, short bed, 3500 Duramax for a 2013 dually Duramax because of the weight over the rear axle with my new 5er, so I've had recent experience with both. The dually has noticably superior stability on the highway, but a pain to park. I would not advise a dually unless your weight forces you to.

Tags
handicap