Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #85
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
I just traded a 2011 srw, short bed, 3500 Duramax for a 2013 dually Duramax because of the weight over the rear axle with my new 5er, so I've had recent experience with both. The dually has noticably superior stability on the highway, but a pain to park. I would not advise a dually unless your weight forces you to.
Parking in straight in spots is quite easy if you back in. Pulling in foerward is difficult if you don't have a LOT of space between rows.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
I just traded a 2011 srw, short bed, 3500 Duramax for a 2013 dually Duramax because of the weight over the rear axle with my new 5er, so I've had recent experience with both. The dually has noticably superior stability on the highway, but a pain to park. I would not advise a dually unless your weight forces you to.
6 months from now, you'll never notice it...

Old 07-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #87

Newmar Owners Club
I'm not having trouble with driving the dually and have put 15K on it in the 1st 5 months. i find it very similar to the 3/4T and 1T longbeds I have been driving for the last 30 years. What I don't like is the trailer towing mirrors on my new Ford. They have an extremely limited vertical viewing angle. much less than the ones on my recent Chevy. If I set them to where I can see the lines on the parking spaces, I cant see behind me well and visa versa. This makes it very difficult to back up into parking spaces when I can not see the lines in the mirrors. I am trying to get used to the backup camera, but this is my 1st, and I have relied on the mirrors for too many years.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I'm not having trouble with driving the dually and have put 15K on it in the 1st 5 months. i find it very similar to the 3/4T and 1T longbeds I have been driving for the last 30 years. What I don't like is the trailer towing mirrors on my new Ford. They have an extremely limited vertical viewing angle. much less than the ones on my recent Chevy. If I set them to where I can see the lines on the parking spaces, I cant see behind me well and visa versa. This makes it very difficult to back up into parking spaces when I can not see the lines in the mirrors. I am trying to get used to the backup camera, but this is my 1st, and I have relied on the mirrors for too many years.
Like you, I back into most parking spaces, and rely on my mirrors to see the lines. Thankfully my truck has electric mirrors, so I can adjust them easily when needed. When I hook up the 5er and pull away, I usually discover that I didn't extend the mirrors out - no problem - just push the switch Electric mirrors is definitely one of the "must haves" in my next truck.

Jim
Old 08-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #89

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamvir View Post
Like you, I back into most parking spaces, and rely on my mirrors to see the lines. Thankfully my truck has electric mirrors, so I can adjust them easily when needed. When I hook up the 5er and pull away, I usually discover that I didn't extend the mirrors out - no problem - just push the switch Electric mirrors is definitely one of the "must haves" in my next truck.

Jim
Oh it has electric mirrors and about everything else. It's just that I drive my truck most of the day, every day, and changing the mirrors just to back into a parking space is a PITA. Don't get me wrong, I love the truck, but preferred GM's mirrors.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #90

Get some bubble mirrors so you can see and stop having to adjust your mirrors for every different driving scenario. I have not touched or adjusted my dually mirrors in years...with the bubbles, i can see parking lot stripes, tow anything(within reason), drive normally and NOT adjust a single mirror
Old 08-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #91

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gee..... I pull a towed behind a class A.. Works great, no parking issues, and better MPG when "Unhooked".
Old 08-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #92
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Get some bubble mirrors so you can see and stop having to adjust your mirrors for every different driving scenario. I have not touched or adjusted my dually mirrors in years...with the bubbles, i can see parking lot stripes, tow anything(within reason), drive normally and NOT adjust a single mirror
X2. I knocked the R side off the other day. Have to figure how to glue it on again. I miss it every time I get in the truck even though I haven't used it much.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #93

The only blow out I've had in a DRW was a front tire. The reclining lady on the mud flap of a tractor trailer was ripped of when he had a blow out and stuck into the sidewall of my tire.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #94
CD

I have had my dually 12.5 yrs and have over 90K on it with no flat tires. Yes, I know I am doomed to have one now.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #95

Just say'n ...... When I unhitch the LS36FW my 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 4x4 feels like a sports car!!! Love it Tow'n and Dead Head'n!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #96

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3chief View Post
Just say'n ...... When I unhitch the LS36FW my 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 4x4 feels like a sports car!!! Love it Tow'n and Dead Head'n!
Same here with my F350 DRW CC 4WD. It is my daily driver and I have put 36K on It in 11 mo. I dead headed from Phoenix to Austin and back last November between two races. I don't need a DRW for my work truck but it literally pays for itself. It's like having a FREE tow vehicle.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #97

I had two issues with my dually. 1st. the added expense for 2 more tires 2nd. My dually got a lot less fuel mileage than my friends with SRW trucks with the same drive train. Just had to remember that you were a little wider in the back when you went into any type of drive thru. which usually wasn't a big issue.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Bohunk View Post
My dually got a lot less fuel mileage than my friends with SRW trucks with the same drive train.
Was everything else the same? Same axle ratios? The generally accepted mileage difference for the Cummins-powered Rams based on the experience of the members of the Turbodiesel Register forum is about 0.5 to 1.0 MPG with everything else equal.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
handicap