Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvpapa
To the O/P,
Going to the company website and converting from the metric specs, those are standard 15" D rated tires. 8 ply @ 2535 lbs.
Art.
Hi art, I saw the same on thier chart but the imprinted tire data on my tire is different. It definitely says 10 ply load range "E"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2874550828.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	475.9 KB
ID:	20525   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-727818.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	20526  

07PSDCREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #16

Ok gentlemen..... I got my hands on brand new BFG Commercial T/A 235/85/16LRE . I paid 300.00 as local tire store had a Buy2Get2. Now I just need to find some rims. I was thinking of these rims...although the offset is off a little. What do you guys think? Is it ok to use a wheel with slightly different offset? My currents are 0 offset. .http://www.etrailer.com/p-AM22657.html

Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Offset is only 0.08". You'd never see it. A major change in offset can change bearing loading, but this is miniscule.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #18

Thanks Rusty.... From what I've read, you ALWAYS give good advice and I thank you for your comments..
Leon
Old 05-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07PSDCREW View Post
Any thoughts on use or quality of these tires? Triangle Radial S/T 225/75R15 load range "e" and there's a TR643 on the sidewall as well. The DOT code is 2VMC3611. The previous owner said they were "new" quality tires. I just want to be sure... If not I may think about upgrading to 16" LT tires.
The most important thing about the tires on your trailer is their history. Do you know yours? Most owners would not question tires less than a year old unless there was a strong suspicion they might have been abused. In the RV trailer industry the ST tire is going to be in for the long haul. Like tires of other designs, the cream will rise to the top.

The most popular upgrade for your rig will be 16” LT tires. Just about any 16” combination will provide you with increased load capacity. Do you have the room for them? Don’t forget to talk with your trailer’s manufacturer about it. They just might surprise you with some nice recommendations/options.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle
Don’t forget to talk with your trailer’s manufacturer about it. They just might surprise you with some nice recommendations/options.

FastEagle
Ha ha ha..... My trailer Manufaturer is long gone!! .....at least that's what ive heard so far...
Old 05-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07PSDCREW View Post
Ha ha ha..... My trailer Manufaturer is long gone!! .....at least that's what ive heard so far...
Sorry, that information is not in your profile.

FE

RV Trailer Tires
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
" However keep in mind a sudden loss of air makes the system worthless."

Not necessarily so--many times, the loss of air/tire on a trailer is not noticed right away and a monitor would alarm. How many times have you read of an RVer being told of a problem by a vehicle driver pulling alongside?
Absolutely. If you should have a blowout and not know it (which is entirely possible) then the next thing that will happen is loss of the (now severely overloaded) other tire on the same side... and I don't even want to think of the potential consequences of that... A TPMS can extremely valuable in helping to prevent such a catastrophe.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle

Sorry, that information is not in your profile.

FE

RV Trailer Tires
I appologize sir! I could've sworn I put that info on my profile and in my signature. I mostly use the mobile version of IRV2, I will check into that.
I have a Damon Hornet 285BHS. 30ft.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #24

I'm late jumping in, but here is my experience with Triangle ST tires. I bought 4 new ones. They did fine until they reached 3 years age. I have a TST, TPMS system BTW. We were Eastbound about 30 miles from Chamberlain, SD when the TPMS began beeping and flashing a red light. Tire temperatures were rising rapidly. I slowed, pulled off at the next exit to examine the tires. All four tires had bulges, some multiple bulges! I got back on the interstate and drove the minimum of 45 MPH with flashers on until I reached Chamberlain, SD. I pulled in a HDT repair/tire shop and asked if they would sell me new tires. They removed the bulged tires and said all four failed-ply separation. I still run Chinese-made tires, but they are 16" Sailun load range G low-boy trailer tires.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #25

Wow, sounds like the TPMS might have saved you from a very bad situation, or even serious accident!

But... all four tires failing simultaneously? How is that even possible? Or at least it doesn't seem possible that it could have been mere coincidence. Did the tire shop have any suggestions as to what could have happened?
Old 05-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbfirm View Post
3611 means 36th week of 2011
Correct. However, if they are Chinese, I would not have them...BTDT. If the LTs will support the weight that's what would do...and did a few years ago.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Wow, sounds like the TPMS might have saved you from a very bad situation, or even serious accident!

But... all four tires failing simultaneously? How is that even possible? Or at least it doesn't seem possible that it could have been mere coincidence. Did the tire shop have any suggestions as to what could have happened?
Their opinion was, the load range E, ST tires were running at maximum pressure under maximum load at interstate speeds for a prolonged period, that combined with 3 years age and approx. 30K miles caused the ply's to separate. We all know ST tires do not have any reserve capacity beyond their ratings, unlike LT,HDT, and automobile tires. Virtually all tires fail from the inside-out. This means by the time a problem is noticed the damage is done.
I've previously experienced a few tire failures, that is the reason for the TST TPMS. One of those failures (prior to TPMS) was pointed out to me by a car pulling alongside and telling me. When I stopped the remains of the tire were tightly wrapped around the axle/brake drum, and the rim was slightly damaged. A TPMS might not be a perfect solution, but it is the best technology available.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote