Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakampers View Post
When trilogy was first introduced at Hershey several years ago, I asked why no ladder, I was told by the factory rep "because they don't want you walking on it"...we quickly walked away...
Ever walked on gelcoat fiberglass without anti skid?

death wish anyone?

hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #16

GaryanJane - see my post about my current poorly insulated 5th wheel. I need to investigate the Trilogy's ladder, and further investigate how well it is insulated.

It has to be better than my current 5th wheel. I am very disappointed in my SunnyBrook's insulation. The furnace cycles on way too much - on about 80% of the time. I saw the BOGUS 'All Season' sticker and thought it was insulated much better.

Now - get this, I have been following weather in different parts of the country. There are not many parts where you will not be in 20 degree weather a few times per winter season. Or hot temps a few times in the summer. I am bumping up the insulation factor importance.

In 365 days I figure I will be too cold or too hot in my current rig about 30 days per year. I want that number to be zero.

The Trilogy is really a nice rig and you get better wheels/tires and axles on the 3800 series.

I am all over the board right now with 5th wheels. From Redwood, Trilogy to Excel, DRV to even a crazy custom build.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #17

my knowledge with over a 1 1/2 year ownership

We have a small thermostat controlled ceramic heater in the master suite, wife uses it to chase the chill, I dont need it if the heat pump is on. If the fireplace is on and the heat pump, no. If you turn on the furnace it will blow you away.

We have been in low 30s and high 20s in north central florida. If you guys are camping in North Dakota or even South Dakota I can understand.

Our 90 gl internal propane tank has never run out. We have a generator just use it to run a load on it every month for 30mins.

I dont want to climb up on top. I am buying an extension collapsible lightweight ladder for slide, topper, and upper level cleaning.

I dont believe any RV is the right habitat for a 4 season liveaboard. Move her to the SW or SE instead, she does have wheels.

Insulation? There are discussions and diagrams for insulating the garage ceiling and piping for head area. I do not see a need at the moment.

Summer in the 90s I run the ceiling fans and the day shades and keep the door closed. Nothing significant. Close the ceiling vents of the AC unit to dump the cold air directly from the unit itself then close it after awhile and use the ceiling vents. The front closet gets warm, if you want to cool it then keep the doors open. Our Airstream was the same way and it was the first 31' they built with the same 2 Acs as the Trilogy and the AS could fit right into the Trilogy. The sliding closet in the AS was also warm.

In the morning as the dew still lays one can see the outline of the aluminum struts as there is no thermal block, a difficult construction method fixed with a rubberized glued on piece on the exterior side of the strut before the fiberglass exterior wall is afixed. Not something you can do anything about now.

I am very pleased with the product for the money paid it was the best choice. Life moves on and is over before you know it. I wish all of you a healthy and prosperous year with lots of miles and enjoyment of whatever product you decide to own.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:16 AM   #18

chaimemet - thanks for the update. I agree that the Trilogy does offer a lot of bang for the buck. I looked at Redwood and crossed them off my list. I like the Trilogy over the Redwood.

The Tampa RV show opens Wednesday. I will show my wife the Trilogy. She has not seen it yet. I do 90% of the leg work then she gives the final thumbs up/down.

You have to like Trilogy over an AirStream. We looked hard at AirStream Classics. Their 30' model had no storage that amounted to much. Plus the nose bleed price of a new Classic...yikes.

Again thanks for your response.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #19

Trilogy decision

Mr. Tuffr2,

it is interesting how the decision process takes the same route. Our Airstream Classic Limited was our first trailer and it did cost a bundle, more than 2x of some competitors when it was bought in the summer of 07. Today Forest River and others offer units that more fairly compete in size and usefulness. I still do not believe the quality is there though but it an easier decision to purchase a competitor. Trading in the AS for the Trilogy was a good decision. Storage in the AS is for a past generation or for Hobbits and Trolls. The AS is built like a tank compared to everything else out there. Be prepared for the warranty work. The note was a lower interest rate and we got a good number on the AS, Lazy Days sold the AS within a month. The wife wanted a king size bed, a washer and dryer, and a better extra bed option than the switch blade sofa bed in the AS. At 5 years the insurance would not give replacement value, so it was time to get out or trade up. Wife did not want a MH. The truck was upgraded from a GMC 2500 diesel 6' bed to a GMC 3500 diesel 8' bed.

We still have not left Florida on our trips though this summer we hopefully will. If you purchase make sure you are close to the dealer enough to do the warranty work, and they are reliable. Dynamax was very good to stay on top of problem diagnosis and paying LZD for their work. Some manufacturers may require you to return the rv to the factory for warranty work. I know there are a lot of owners out there who are very mechanical and can do much of the little things themselves. I still believe that even those items should be thrown back to the dealers.

We had items as everybody else has and our model a 3850 was only the second year model. I believe they sold the first models at a considerable lower price mark in order to set a market presence.

We looked at the DRVs and the Redwoods. We like the solid wood feel and the radial walls. The country kitchen fits our lifestyle as we eat all our meals in the rv. I had thought we may do some boondocking with the AS but that never happened and with the the Trilogy we will be rving in resorts. By the way I grew up in Bexley.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:51 AM   #20

Wow - Bexley !!!. Is that the only town in the country surrounded 360 degrees by a city? I have lived in Columbus (Westerville area) since 1984 when I moved from the Pittsburgh area.

Your Trilogy has to be a lot more comfortable than the A/S. I was going to ask about the Fiberglass Roof, like how much rain noise comes thru but since you used to be in an A/S which has to be the worse for rain noise your opinion just might be skewed...lol.

Are you full-time now or a snowbird?
Old 01-14-2014, 04:13 AM   #21

thanks for the update. we are going to get a 3850 RL as soon as the house sells. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures with your trilogy
Old 01-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #22

Rain Noise

We r not fulltimers or snowbirds. The noise level is less than the AS due to a number of factors, the ceiling is higher at 8'8" verses 7'. The roof material is quieter than a aluminum roof. You hear the rain when it starts to downpour. Thanksgiving we were in Williston, Fl. a front came through and it stormed for a few hours and you had to raise your voice. In the middle of the rain we heard a loud "thoump", and since we were parked under a fairly large canopy of an oak tree we thought a large tree branch had fallen on the roof. The next morning I had the maintenance climb up and what he found was a medium size twig of 1.5" round that wanted to be a branch. Obviously no damage. Noises are accentuated, squirrels prancing across the roof etc. Noise levels are just part of the nature of the beast. These RVs are not concrete houses.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #23

Photo under the canopy

Photo at Williston Crossings RV Resort. We had the lowest lot with a large canopy oak over us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	williston2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	53836  
Old 01-15-2014, 07:26 AM   #24

very nice looking unit. looks about like the one we are looking at
Old 01-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #25

Was at the Tampa Show.

Just looked at Trilogy, Mobile Suites, Lifestyle, Excel, Landmark. There is not really a bad 5ed in this group. I was surprised by the Landmark most of all. It was made better than I thought.

The Mobile Suites does not stand out too much in this group either.

Trilogy - they do have a motor home 2 piece style ladder on one that I saw. That is a good thing.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #26

Trilogy Fiberglass roof info - you can walk on the roof. The reason no ladder was the roof used to be smooth fiberglass and if wet Dynamax was worried about litigation if someone slipped and fell off.

This was per a sales rep.

Now the roof is dimpled and the Trilogy now has a two piece ladder.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:36 AM   #27

I don't know where that rep got his information but our 17 year old Carriage came with a fiberglass roof and a ladder. Like any shinny material you have to be careful. Ours is not dimpled. Dutch is up there all the time washing, waxing or checking/working on ours and has never slipped. I have been up there many times too and was never worried about slipping---and I'm afraid of heights!
Also, how would installers of a/c's, satellites and solar panels, etc install these things if they could not get up there.
The Trilogy we looked at had NO ladder at all on it. But I would be more concerned about the lack of insulation that we were told they had. We still have to get exact figures but what we were told by the rep did not bode well for being in very hot or very cold weather. Hugs, Di
2015 1 ton auto single cab 2 wheel drive 3500 Ram Dually. Western Pearl Brown, 410 Aisin Trans, Pace Eds roll top cover. 1996/2015 3axle Carriage, BF Auto Level, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers.
Dutch & Diana Irrgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #28

Agree that the Trilogy would be better used as a 'snowbird' type rig. Keep it where it does not get real hot nor real cold. This is probably true for most 5th wheels.