Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #1

Trilogy Talk

The large Tampa RV Show is just around the corner. I want to know more about the Trilogy before I go.

Question 1- how does the portable LP tank work with the built in tank? I am thinking there is a LP gauge inside the coach that measures the LP level. If the portable tank feeds the built in tank then it might be possible to fill it with the portable tank. I am not sure if I am thinking about this correctly.

Question 2 - how does the residential refer work when not plugged in to shore power? Does the truck charge the battery bank enough to keep the refer on when travelling? How about if we pulled into a Walmart...how long can the batteries run the refer? I do have a Yamaha 2400IS generator I plan to use if we get into a week or two of boondocking.

Question 3 - ok, the Trilogy gets bad marks for insulation. How bad is it? Is dual pane windows an option? Can it be heated with just the electric fireplace when the temps dip into the 40's? The 30's?. My current 5er needs fireplace plus 2 additional electric heaters.

Question 4 - How would you rate the Trilogy for full-time use. Is the 12" frame sturdy as you walk around on the unit? Does the washer vibrate the whole rig when in the 'spin' cycle?

Question 5 - did you also look at the Redwood and DRV Tradition? If so, what made you buy a Trilogy over those two units?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #2

I would buy the Tradition over the Trilogy. The Tradition is likely the best insulated mid range cost 5ther. Now the Trilogy has a hefty chassis. It is 12" but is heavier steel than most use, but it is somewhat heavy and needs it. My opinion, loose the inboard tank, increase insulation, redesign the w/d location, and I would consider it. The residential, a plus for me, is powered by an inverter. Should be fine towing since residential fridges are insulated well. The compressor probably only comes on every so many hours anyway. Boone docking I would add extra batteries to cut down on generator use. There was a Tradition in a park we were in. Gray tank cracked. Had to pull bottom down to get to tank. What was impressive was the wool insulation. It was over a foot thick. Tradition gets my vote in that price

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As for propane tanks.. Tank to tank transfer is supposed to be impossible, it is not possible for an external tank to fill the onboard tank with out aid (A high pressure pump). Likewise the reverse is true as well.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #4

I can ask my questions to a salesman but would weigh actual owner answers much higher than what a salesman tells me.

I am thinking if I use a portable 30lb. LP tank and the Trilogy will use the 30lb tank 1st then the built-in 97lb. tank can be used as back-up. If I can look at the internal LP monitor and tell when the 30lb. tank needs filled then the built-in tank will be a non issue. If the LP in the built in tank is used 1st then I think it will be an issue.

Again my current LP usage is low since I use electric for heat and never mean to stay where it is cold...but like now the temps at night / early morning is in the low 30's. These cold temps only happen a few times per winter and usually for just a few nights. And in summer I plan to stay where it is cooler.

That is why the Trilogy might work ok for me. The insulation is only somewhat important.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #5

Insulation works for heat also. jfyi. Just as important in summer temps. The roof only has like 1.5" foam insulation. You can go on their website and find this. If this isn't important, fine. It is a lovely coach. These issues were too much for us
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 01-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #6

Agree - if you will be in cold or hot temps the Trilogy is not your coach. Insulation is about the only weak area of the Trilogy. I do like it over the Redwood. I need to look closer at the DRV Tradition. The Tampa RV Show is less than two weeks away!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
If a Trilogy rep is there and I bet they are can answer a great deal of these questions. There was someone on FT area talking about their Trilogy. They have been in it a while and really like it. Posted photos and I think a blog.
We looked at it many times and were very impressed. Roof is also fiberglass as I recall. The main LP tank was massive in ttl lbs fuel which would last us a long long time based on our usage. We plan to be at the show also... driving down it's vaca time to Florida!!
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #8

You can find out about anything you want to on their website. It is very informative.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #9

I have been looking at the Dynamax web-site. It is the typical fluff. They do have a long list of standard features. It seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

I will be looking forward to the Tampa Show to compare Redwood, Trilogy, Tradition.

Then comparing DRV Mobile Suits, Excel Limited, LifeStyle which cost 10 to 18g's more $$$.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I attend Tampa every year and will this year as well. I could not wait to see the Trilogy when they were introduced. Once I saw it I was not impressed. Of course, come things were really impressive like the basement space and really high ceilings.
I was also attracted to the fiberglass roof, however, I could not understand why a ladder was not standard or even offered. Perhaps the "fiberglass" roof is not substantial enough to support a 200 pound man? I don't know.
I have not looked at the Trilogy website lately but when I asked the rep about a disc brake option, it was no offered at that time. Maybe now and I sure hope sure. I would not want rig that heavy with drum brakes.
For heavy use and full timers, I'm not a fan I-beam frames. I suggest you look closely at Excel for high R-values and good quality. Rhino roof is now optional across the line and the Limited has a standard fiberglass walk-on roof.
Lifestyle is building beautiful rigs, too, and have recently ungraded their R-values by including the flex foil option as standard. That is pushing their R-values to 16 in the walls and 37 in the roof.
Good luck and I will "see ya" at the Tampa show! Phillip
jdpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #11

jdpm - thanks, if no ladder no deal. I spend time under trees and need to sweep off the roof and slide toppers at least once a month.

Excel is one rig that I have not looked at. But now I see a Winslow in Ocala that is in easier drive range. The dealer us Tri-Am. They used to carry NuWa so I guess they picked up Excel as their replacement.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
We like that RE model.
What ever our next rig is, I will really want to get a fiberglass roof. Among other features in the build, that is important to me.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #13

When trilogy was first introduced at Hershey several years ago, I asked why no ladder, I was told by the factory rep "because they don't want you walking on it"...we quickly walked away...
Old 01-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
jdpm - thanks, if no ladder no deal. I spend time under trees and need to sweep off the roof and slide toppers at least once a month.

Excel is one rig that I have not looked at. But now I see a Winslow in Ocala that is in easier drive range. The dealer us Tri-Am. They used to carry NuWa so I guess they picked up Excel as their replacement.
interested to know which one you finally decide on. we are looking at a trilogy in the next few months and plan going full time with it.