Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We back ours (triaxle) into a fairly tight spot and never had a problem. It will go into the EXACT spot as a double axle of the same length.

I sure love hearing all of the urban myths about trailers and towing.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #16

A triple axle will generally give you a higher gross vehicle weight rating. I.e., you will be able to carry more weight safely.

We've had our 38' triple axle for 10 years and we love it. Replaced suspension shackles this year - everything eventually wears out. Several times a year, I have to jackknife, and pivot the 5th wheel around the axles. The tires distort during the maneuver (very slowly), but are not damaged.

Get new tires when your current tires are between 5 and 7 years of age.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #17

Mid Atlantic Campers
We have to jack the TH really hard, tripple axle, and drag the tires just to get into the driveway, then moderately hard to position it where we store it. Since we moved from a 29' TT to a 43' TH I have been cutting the block so I only back in on the drivers side as I build a better feel for the different dynamics this setup has. My driveway is asphalt, and even with only backing it in 10 times or so I can see wear on my tires edges all ready.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
All I can say is, I love my tri-axle. Tows great and tracks straight down the highway. I notice no difference turning our tri vs the dual we used to pull.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #19

..................Every turn made with a triple axle is unduly rough on the front and rear axles , the middle axle pivots , the front and rear axles both pull and push their tires on the pavement and do a lot more dragging than rolling !
...................You'd think a mfger could\would install a pair of 8k or 9k torsion axles with 17.5 tires\wheels on a trailer costing $40,000 to 80,000 ! The cheap way out is too install a triple axle setup with conventional springs and hangers . , jigger
Old 09-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jigger, my trailer has THREE 4000# axles. It has been on the road for 22 years and the triple axle is not a problem. Texas PSDX has had his triple axle on the road for 28 years. There are a lot 34' Avions with tree axles on the road and the tires manage to make it.

Maybe the problem is worse on the heavier trailers, but I love my three axles and it tows like a dream.

Ken
Old 09-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #21

In recognition of some of the shortcomings of a triple axle trailer, one manufacturer, Newmar, instead uses a dually double axle. It is supposed to turn easier, and still carry the weight of a triple axle. The downside is 8 tires to replace rather than 6. Their 5th wheels have included the Mountain Aire, Kountry Aire, and London Aire.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3d View Post
A triple axle will generally give you a higher gross vehicle weight rating. I.e., you will be able to carry more weight safely.

We've had our 38' triple axle for 10 years and we love it. Replaced suspension shackles this year - everything eventually wears out. Several times a year, I have to jackknife, and pivot the 5th wheel around the axles. The tires distort during the maneuver (very slowly), but are not damaged.

Get new tires when your current tires are between 5 and 7 years of age.
Triple axles are used when weight exceeds the sum of a double axle and its tires. Three 4500 lb. axles with cheaper tires all around is much cheaper to the manufacturer than two 7000 lb axles and the more expensive tires to support the same weight.

Yes, triple axle tires wear more, sidewall structure and tread take a bigger "hit"... Just plain physics. Sit down with a pad and pencil and draw the arcs. A dual will have its pivot point between the axles with both axles dragging and deforming a bit. A triple has the pivot point on the middle axle with the #1 and #3 axles dragging more as the center points are further apart and the arcs they describe cover a greater distance. Most of that is mitigated in the 5ver by the fact that severe angulation usually only occurs in the campground and the ground is usually gravel/dirt in those areas that require that type of turn, or the CG is paved with gentler arcs on pavement for those bigger units with tri-axles. You'll notice tri-axle big-rigs (dump trucks, loggers, 53' barrel sides) raise that third axle when not needed for hauling the weight they were designed to support (the truck is empty)...that's for the above reasons. It is also harder (the torqueing) on the suspension and it is more difficult to keep all three axles aligned properly.

All that being said, there is a reason there are three axles on some rigs and not others. No manufacturer would go to the expense and difficulty of a tri-axle setup if weight didn't require it and there was no cheaper alternative. Weight and the ability to carry it safely. If the rig has three axles, they are there for a mechanical reason and not just looks.

If the rig they like has three axles, it certainly has them for a reason, and would not be a "selling" point one way or the other if that is "the" floor plan for them.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #23
IC2

The only disadvantage I see with triple axle units is the pain to your billfold when it comes time for new tires. As far as backing into a CG site - that's why many have pull throughs (they are also for those many folks that have trouble backing any trailer as well). As far as scrubbing on turns - if you have Goodyear Marathons or any ST,watch 'em squirm on a tight turn, forward or back
Old 10-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #24

My friends and I got tired of the ST tire crap and went with Yokohama 215/85-R16
AT truck tires. Problem solved. Well worth the cost of 16" rims.

I tried 4 brands of "E" rated 15" tires with the same disappointing results.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #25

I've owned three different tripple axle trailers (a car hauler/a flatdeck and my present stock trailer) from 14000 GVWR to 21000 GVWR with 6k and 7k axles. Ive also owned several tandam axle trailers with 6k/7k/8k and 10k axles.

By far the tripple axle trailers with six brakes surpassed the tandams with four brakes, in braking performance at max loads especially emergency shut downs. The tripples were much more stable on rough winding roads hauling tall box containers in strong sidewinds.

Yeah the tripple shows more tire/wheel bend back on turns but nothing a good brand of LT tire can't handle on a dailey basis even at max loads.

IMO for just a RV I wouldn't worry with either the tripple or the tandam axle trailer. For me it would be the floorplan.

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote