Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #1

Triple axle vs double

Hi,
Our kids are looking at a larger 5th wheel, one with a triple axle, the other with a double. Not sure of the weights but the sales guy made a. comment that I would like an opinion on.
He said the following; don't buy the triple axle because you will be buying new tires every year and run the risk of tearing the axles off the unit in tight spots.
Is this a case of the salesmans lips moving(fibbing) or does he make a valid point?

Please feel free to make any comments

Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #2

I'm not an expert on triple-axle tire life so I'll let others comment on that but I have to say that it seems ridiculous to suggest that there could be enough force/friction generated between the tire and road surface to rip out the axle mounts. I mean, do you see campgrounds littered with broken triple-axle trailers? Given that line of BS I would tend to doubt the credibility of anything else the salesman said.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First off...the salesman is full of something smelly. I would move on to another dealer.

we have a triaxle and it pulls like a dream and no undue tire wear.

Ken
Old 09-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #4

What Ken said X2. The only time one can expect axle binding is in a spot-turn, and that happens perhaps once in a lifetime; then one learns to plan ahead.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #5

The stealer is probably trying to clear his lot of double axle trailers. Even with my double axle, I always tried to make wide turns to keep from scrubbing the tires.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments. Will go with the kids tomorrow to look at the units. Now that I think about it we see a lot of tri axles down south and all the owners look pretty happy.. The kids do go to one cg that is pretty tight, but manage to get a 38 ft moho in the spot they use.
They are going to the 5er because of the addition of another grandchild, they have 3 under 5 years old. I think they will be fine. They are looking at an Open Range, not sure of the model
Any comments on the quality of those units
Don
Old 09-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
My brother has a triple axle toy hauler. When backing into a site I don't know how the tires stay on the rim.....and that was backing into a diagonal (30%) site. From observing other RVers backing in their double axle 5ers, I would say the triple is far more difficult backing into a site. It just doesn't pivot as well as double axle...Just my opinion.....And yes he has replaced all tires after the 3rd year $$$$
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Barber View Post
Now that I think about it we see a lot of tri axles down south and all the owners look pretty happy.
That's because you don't see them at the tire store.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #9

We have a triple axle. No problems with tire wear, scrubbing and the like. As with anything there is always both advantages and disadvantages. One advantage is I have three axles with electric over hydraulic disk brakes. I have better load balance. My trailer has a GVW rating of 19000# each axle is rated at 7000# so I have plenty of extra capacity. It is true there will be some additional tire wear and/or scrubbing but nothing significant nor measured in years of difference between two axle and three axle trailers.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Triple will be more stable going down the highway than a double. that is another advantage to a triple.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #11

Good point
Old 09-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #12

I have a double and replace all my tires at 10 months. Slipped belts, bad side walls..

Cheap blech....

I've asked a couple tire dealers if they've ever had to replace a tire that blew out because of the flexing while turning. Answer has always been know. Just train yourself not to look at the tires while you back and turn...
Old 09-08-2011, 11:33 PM   #13

I just bought a triple axle 5th and I backed it down my winding road to my "spot" around trees, cars, a drainage ditch and a pond with out a problem and on the first try. It might turn a little slower than a dual but that could be a good thing for beginners.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawildman View Post
I have a double and replace all my tires at 10 months. Slipped belts, bad side walls..

Cheap blech....

I've asked a couple tire dealers if they've ever had to replace a tire that blew out because of the flexing while turning. Answer has always been know. Just train yourself not to look at the tires while you back and turn...
Try some Yokohama AT tires. Several of us did and never looked back again.