Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-01-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Triple towing

Do any one tow car behind 5th wheel and what are the rules. any help would be nice.

Marcel Jeannette

2008 Endeavor
Marcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
Do any one tow car behind 5th wheel and what are the rules. any help would be nice.
This is called "triple towing" or "towing double." It has significant state-by-state legal and rig weight/capacity issues. Try this Google search - rv triple towing - Google Search

2007 and 7/8ths Newmar Essex 4502
RVDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Appalachian Campers
Don't believe it would be triple towing. Look at a road tractor pulling two trailers - 'hauling doubles'.
In your case I would wonder about length as well as whether or not the structure of the trailer frame would be strong enough to tow a car.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Don't believe it would be triple towing....
Doc you are technically correct. Problem is, in RV-slang the term "triple towing" has come to be mainstream to mean the more correct term of "towing doubles". Hence, both phrases should be used to search to find a more complete result. Either phrase means the same thing, it doesn't change the length, weight, and legal issues associated with doing it. Homework is required before doing it.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The double trailer rigs you see on the road are run under special commercial license rules, are typically restricted to certain highways and are not allowed in all states in any case. So just because somebody with a CDL can legally do it does not mean that you can.

A few states allow anybody to do it byt most have a variety of restrictions, so find out what the laws are in the states where you want to do it. It may even be legal in your home state, but that does not carry forward when you cross the state line.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
We did double tow our Jeep liberty and later our HHR behing our 43 ft. Travel Supreme 5er and a Peterbilt 387. We pulled in about 37 states and never once were we questioned or stopped. We DID have plenty of truck to pull and STOP this combination (84 ft. long) and did not ever get in to to big of a bind. However, it did require some planning as you could not back that combination. We just made up our mind to not worry about getting stopped and if we did we would unhook, apologize, and/or pay the fine and go on with the wife driving the toad. However, we never had to do this. It can be done, most likely without much if any legal hassles, BUT I really do not recommend it. There are places in the northeas that we did not go because we decided the hassle might be too great for us to enjoy. I have a CDL, and had pulled doubles before commercially so I felt comfortable with it. We have several members of the Escapees HDT forum members that routinely do this and a couple of have been stopped and one or two have been ticketed, a very small percentage of all those that do it. You just have to make up your mind if your tow vehicle is safe and rated to do this, are you comfortable pulling that kind and weight of combination, are ALL parts of your combination rated for the weight (hitch, trailer pin and mounting, truck tow rating, trailer frame, trailer hitch and tow bar). If all of that checks out and you dont mind looking over your shoulder once in a while when you meet a LEO, the chance of a ticket does not bother you etc, then go for it. It is VERY DIFFICULT to determine where this is strickly legal with an RV as state laws differ and their interpretation differs even more. If you are pulling with anything less than an HDT I would STRONGLY discourage you from even thinking about it. On my present trip I saw a one ton dually ford pulling a big 5er and a full size car behind that in Oklahoma, looked like an accident hunting a place to happen. IF YOU DO this, get equipped and trainned properly, then go for it and enjoy this wonderful country. It can be done with really very little hassle. All just my experience and opinions, yours may and likely will differ. Good Luck and enjoy. Gene
2015 Entegra
Cornerstone 45B
2014 Lincoln MKT
Ann n Gene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
Not sure of other States. Here in California the only limiting factor is from front bumper of truck to the very back of toad is 65 feet. And the trailer must have a kingpin.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
Do any one tow car behind 5th wheel and what are the pros & con. Also rules from state to state, and Canada
Marcel, your thread with many answers already was moved here...

The response there from Ann n Gene is excellent and thorough.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It varies state by state for towing a trailer/object behind a trailer. There are length rules as well. Problem is while a state will recognize you license in your home state, you will have to abide by their rules while traveling in their state for speed, weight, length and towing.

Aside from that, how will you address the issue of braking the extra load behind the trailer? Also, can the trailer frame take the extra stresses from the weight of a towed car? What will happen if you have a flat on the towed car?

I have seen it done and it looks scary. When we were towing a 36.5' 5er, we were a bit over 53' in length with just the truck and trailer. Add 3' for a tow bar, a foot for a hitch and say 13' of car and you are up to a bit over 70' total length.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #10
seems to have the best towing laws compilation on the internet. "Triple towing" is listed on this document, although it is an incorrect term. If one is towing one trailer it is not doubles towing because that implies just driving your truck is singles towing. Morphing triples to mean doubles is very confusing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #11
I guess as long as you are towing only in a state that allows double towing you are OK. Here in Oregon it is not legal for a private RV to tow doubles. If you were to look at a map of those states that do not allow it you will find that it is quite a parch work and would be a real pain to stop and unhook and then have to drive the car though states.

Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote