Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #1

Tripod for 5er ?

We recently bought a new to us 5er.
Keystone, Copper Canyon.
36'9" , 12,000 lbs , Approx tongue wt of 2300 lbs.

The Trailer is kept in a park and we use it on weekends.

My question is this:
Do we need to put a Tripod under the Hitch on the front of the RV ?

What does this help with exactly ?

Right now it is just sitting on the front and rear jacks.

Thanks in advance for your input and advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #2

If it is to be parked on more or less a permanent basis, not a bad idea. It would be much more stable.
They are sort of a pain for spot-to-spot camping. Just my.02

Old 04-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrover View Post
If it is to be parked on more or less a permanent basis, not a bad idea. It would be much more stable.
They are sort of a pain for spot-to-spot camping. Just my.02
Thanks,

We plan to leave it where it is for an extended time so I guess I should look into getting one of those.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #4

I see a lot on bent ones lately.
The design has not caught up with the new trailer design.
If there is a single height adjustment studs, well I cannot see the benefit.
Get the stabilizer and front leg brace units. Available at Camping World for same price. Permanent set up that works well for heavy units.
If hydraulics it will not work though.
I have been using truck box holders that I bought at Tractors Equipment for a total of $50 on sale. Needed some setting up but works great.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #5

Whats a truck box holder?
Old 04-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #6

x2, Not sure what that is
Old 04-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #7

We use the tri pod and would recommend one. It's not a miracle by any means, but in my opinion it definitely makes a difference. Happy camping!!
Old 04-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #8

We had one on our previous 5th and it helped a lot many years ago. But it had a solid pin box.

Found one on craigslist for 1/2 of new, and it was a top of the line one with tons of adjustments. Didn't help at all. Why? Because of the 6pt the 5th has and because of the trailair pin box.

I would not recommend one unless you have the solid pin box and the current jack set up that you do.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedone View Post
We had one on our previous 5th and it helped a lot many years ago. But it had a solid pin box.

Found one on craigslist for 1/2 of new, and it was a top of the line one with tons of adjustments. Didn't help at all. Why? Because of the 6pt the 5th has and because of the trailair pin box.

I would not recommend one unless you have the solid pin box and the current jack set up that you do.
By "Solid Pin Box" Do you mean rigid as in not an air ride type ?

Sorry for not knowing the correct terminology I am kind of new the the 5th wheel gig.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty-Dawg View Post
By "Solid Pin Box" Do you mean rigid as in not an air ride type ?

Sorry for not knowing the correct terminology I am kind of new the the 5th wheel gig.
Actually, your terminology is probably better than mine. Yep, that is what I mean. Non-moving. No Demco, Trailair, Mor-ryde, etc. Just a static pin.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #11

If the 5'er is solid I wouldn't waste the money on one. If you feel some movement then they do help. From reading on other forums about stabilizing it seems that the JT Strong arm types work better. I've never used a tri pod but do have the JT type strong arms front and rear. Rock solid especially on back top. Dirt not so much but still pretty good. Another item to try is those BAL chocks that expand between the tires.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You will get the best stabilization using J.T. Strongarm braces and X-Choks between the wheels.

Ken
Old 04-03-2014, 01:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgreenacres View Post
Whats a truck box holder?
Its the adjustable bars that are used to hold loads in a truck. They are about 6 ft long and fully adjustable.
I bolted angles on the trailer frame and apply them against it and the legs. And twist to tighten. It lays snug and nothing moves. Just raise the leg and they fall and I then store them,
Takes a bit longer to install. Found out I only need one across and one lengthwise to work.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
When someone is walking around inside the 5er it will bounce/wiggle. Rubber tires will bounce, suspension systems are made to bounce. To eliminate the bouncing/wiggling you need to keep the weight from pushing down on the tires and suspension by making sure your stabilizers are tight between the 5er and the ground. Don’t just let them out far enough to touch the ground, turn the crank more to make sure they are tight so they will not allow the 5er to push down on the tires. Use a bipod/tripod under the king pin. Make sure it is tight between the ground and the king pin, don’t just adjust it till it touches, tighten it so the front overhang will not move. Make sure to check the stabilizers and bipod/tripod every couple of days because they will loosen up over time. Doesn’t make sense spending a lot of money on landing jack stabilizers when the landing jacks are stable and don’t bounce up and down. If you have properly adjusted the stabilizers and bipod/tripod then you shouldn’t have any bouncing/wiggling. This has worked for me over the past 15 years.
Chocks are to keep the 5er from rolling forward or backwards. They do not eliminate the weight of the 5er from pushing down and causing the bouncing/wiggling. If you park on a site that has a incline/decline then you probably want to use chocks to keep your 5er from rolling when you unhitch.
There are a lot of other options out there to “eliminate” the bouncing/wiggling if you have the extra money and want to spend it.