Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
It's a little late to chime in at this point, but I have a question. Why bother?

What's the big deal if the 5er rocks a little as you walk around in it? I often don't even bother with putting down my re4ar stabilizer jacks unless I will be in a site for at least 3 or 4 days. So, it wiggles. Why should I care?

Joel
Um, to each his own.

Why use the AC? It’s only hot.
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2018, 08:13 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
It's a little late to chime in at this point, but I have a question. Why bother?

What's the big deal if the 5er rocks a little as you walk around in it? I often don't even bother with putting down my re4ar stabilizer jacks unless I will be in a site for at least 3 or 4 days. So, it wiggles. Why should I care?

Joel
I’m guessing you are the type that is at home on a boat too? Lol. I have reverbs for days after boats.

After our first trip, I want them because our large dogs drove us crazy shaking the RV. It was more movement than I was expecting.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #31

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a pin stand and sold it off. We find that between the landing gears, rear jacks and the two X-Chocks there's very little movement or bounce in our 5th. I think there's significant differences in some makes/models how well the frame and suspension handles this issue. Some folks probably really benefit from the pin stands and others its a waste of money, time and space. But that's IMO...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:38 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiwillRV View Post
I’m guessing you are the type that is at home on a boat too? Lol. I have reverbs for days after boats.

After our first trip, I want them because our large dogs drove us crazy shaking the RV. It was more movement than I was expecting.
Actually, my only boat is a canoe, but I guess that it doesn't qualify as being real stable.

JOEL
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:20 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
What is "the ram length"? Is it the leveling arms or shafts?
I’m referring to the extended length of the leveling jack.

In fact, the concept holds true with leveling jacks and stabilizer jacks: the shorter you can extend them, the more stable they are.

At seasonal sites, you will see people stacking cement blocks as high as possible to keep the jack or stabilizer length short. You can do the same on the road with the Andersen Block (expensive), or blocks of wood.
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
King pin IS what it is called.....

Point being made was that the 'stabilizer' in your link is for a 5th wheel with a gooseneck adapter vs standard 5th wheel king pin

Your link shows one with a BALL that a gooseneck adapter would sit down on

Standard has a 'cup' that king pin would sit inside of

As for need......personal choice
When we went Full Time I thought it would be good idea.
First off it took up storage space
Secondly it took too much time/effort to set up/get adjusted
Thirdly...it did NOT make any difference

I found a much easier way of stabilizing or 5th wheel (works on travel trailers too)

After leveling side to side I set wheel chocks and a set of X-Chocks
That helps prevent fore/aft motions

Disconnect for tow vehicle and level front to rear using front landing gear legs (or tongue jack)
THEN lower front 1" below level
Set rear stabilizers/jacks....SNUG

THEN raise front back to level

Solid set up..... other then a little suspension/tire bounce which can only be eliminated by placing jacks fore/aft of tires.

Kin Pin Stabilizer........IMHO NOPE
By lowering the hitch 1 inch and then snugging the rear stablizers and the bringing the front back to level put stress on the rear stablizers?
mikehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehan View Post
By lowering the hitch 1 inch and then snugging the rear stablizers and the bringing the front back to level put stress on the rear stablizers?
Hasn't caused ANY issues in 11 yrs of doing it.
Rear stabilizers are just initially set SNUG then 'loaded' when running front back to level

Less stressful/strain then trying to CRANK them TIGHT --either by hand or electric motor.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote