Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #1

Truck and Trailer calculator

I wanted to share this just in case it may be useful for someone to figure out what weights are what when they scale out their truck and trailer.

It is an Excel spreadsheet format: Truck and Trailer Weight Calculator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	116
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	132821  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 09:00 PM   #2

I always recommended this online tow vehicle and trailer weight calculator.
Nothing to download, just fill in the blanks with actual weights, + it offers the full-timers option of selecting a safety factor.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #3

Awesome guys! Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Is there a calculator for people looking for a rig? Before you buy either.

Something to input truck GVWR and or axel WRs , trailer GVWR, shipping weight, or hitch weight?

Stuff you can get from brochures and the internet. To tell you if it would be a good combo...or a disaster. Some of this stuff you have to have the truck and trailer to go to a CAT scale and weigh...it's too late if it doesn't match...you already bought it!

Just a thought...
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #5

Good information for everyone.

Thanks

Kevin
Old 07-14-2016, 11:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post

Something to input truck GVWR and or axel WRs , trailer GVWR, shipping weight, or hitch weight?

Stuff you can get from brochures and the internet. To tell you if it would be a good combo...or a disaster. Some of this stuff you have to have the truck and trailer to go to a CAT scale and weigh...it's too late if it doesn't match...you already bought it!

Just a thought...
You're talking about a lot of info. It would cost quite a bit to do something like this. Even with a brochure though you are getting dry weights which don't translate well into what it really weighs.

What you can do with this calculator is go weigh your truck at a CAT scale, input the info in a calculator and then you have a starting point for your trailer search. If your truck is 7000 and GCWR is 15000 you know you can't tow a 7000 pound dry weight trailer once you add all your gear.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:25 AM   #7

Quote:

Just a thought...
No sir, it's not too late. Make all that a condition of bargaining, if the salesman wants to make money, they will agree to your conditions. Keep in mind, it's YOUR money.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 07-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
No sir, it's not too late. Make all that a condition of bargaining, if the salesman wants to make money, they will agree to your conditions. Keep in mind, it's YOUR money.
I think what he means is you put in your truck info and it returns all the RV possibilities that your vehicle is capable of pulling without pushing the envelope.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc123 View Post
I think what he means is you put in your truck info and it returns all the RV possibilities that your vehicle is capable of pulling without pushing the envelope.
Not exactly. I was wondering if there was a calculator that you could input info on a truck (that you were looking at) with numbers from a brochure or on line. Then the same for a 5th wheel you were looking at. And it would show you if they matched or were over/under weight.

The calculators mentioned used actual weights from a CAT scale. And/or numbers you have to get off the vehicle itself/owner's manual. If I'm looking at a F250 from a local dealer they aren't going to let me have a 5th wheel hitch installed making holes in the bed. Then find a RV dealer to let me take a couple different trailers down to the nearest scale. Some 5th wheels we are looking at on line don't have a dealer (or a particular model/options) within 4-5 hour drive. I'm a golf cart ride from the Mexican border in south Texas!

I'm sure some math wiz could set up a calculator to plug in some numbers that most all manufactures put in brochures and web sites and give you even a go or no go answer. We are looking at 5th wheels we don't own yet (we have a travel trailer now) and know I need a 3/4 to 1 Ton (I have a F150 now) so I don't have anything to take to the scale. I have a ton of brochures and web sites with all kinds of numbers! I need an EASY SIMPLE way of determining if any truck and trailer would be a good match or not before buying one or the other or both. That's what I was asking. Are we confused now???
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:41 AM   #10

At the bottom of the spreadsheet it says YOUR PIN WEIGHT IS LOW. (1,060) Is that a good thing or is it warning your pin weight is too low?
Old 07-16-2016, 09:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Not exactly. I was wondering if there was a calculator that you could input info on a truck (that you were looking at) with numbers from a brochure or on line. Then the same for a 5th wheel you were looking at. And it would show you if they matched or were over/under weight.

The calculators mentioned used actual weights from a CAT scale. And/or numbers you have to get off the vehicle itself/owner's manual.

It should be easy enough to find the information you're looking for. If you looked at the link provided by Ray In as an example
Fifth Wheel Weight Calculator
where it ask for actual weights for the RV you can enter the GVWR, to be on the safe side. Where it asks for actual pin weight, figure 15-20% of the GVWR, again to be on the safe side. All the numbers you need for the tow vehicle and what you intend to tow should be available somewhere on line.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantobon View Post
At the bottom of the spreadsheet it says YOUR PIN WEIGHT IS LOW. (1,060) Is that a good thing or is it warning your pin weight is too low?
It is going off the percentage. If the pin weight is below 15% of the total weight then you are low. Look at the left side and see what the 15% pin weight would be. If it says 1,061 then I don't think a pound will matter much. Manufacturers recommend between 15-25% pin weights for optimum control.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:41 PM   #13

Batten54:

There is a lot of estimation you would be using to match up. My trucks curb weight is 6000. Trailer shows its 6800. That puts me at a total weight of 12800 which is way under my limits. The truth is the trailer is 8000 and trailer is over 7000 and not fully loaded yet. That puts me at over 15k pounds total which is 2200 pounds more than the estimates. 2k is significant when you are getting close to overloading a truck.

Mathematically I can probably figure something out to make this work but it would still require a lot of research in your part to input numbers like the curb weights and trailer weights. Then you would have to estimate people and gear weights.

I'll see what I can come up with.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:12 PM   #14

Quote:

The calculators mentioned used actual weights from a CAT scale. And/or numbers you have to get off the vehicle itself/owner's manual. If I'm looking at a F250 from a local dealer they aren't going to let me have a 5th wheel hitch installed making holes in the bed. Then find a RV dealer to let me take a couple different trailers down to the nearest scale. Some 5th wheels we are looking at on line don't have a dealer (or a particular model/options) within 4-5 hour drive. I'm a golf cart ride from the Mexican border in south Texas!

I'm sure some math wiz could set up a calculator to plug in some numbers that most all manufactures put in brochures and web sites and give you even a go or no go answer. We are looking at 5th wheels we don't own yet (we have a travel trailer now) and know I need a 3/4 to 1 Ton (I have a F150 now) so I don't have anything to take to the scale. I have a ton of brochures and web sites with all kinds of numbers! I need an EASY SIMPLE way of determining if any truck and trailer would be a good match or not before buying one or the other or both. That's what I was asking. Are we confused now???
That online calculator I provided the link to does exactly that.
Keep in mind the truck brochure weights only take only into account a 150# driver, 1/2 tank fuel, nothing else. If the truck doesn't come with a rear bumper, spare tire, etc, you must add those weights to the published curb weight. Same for trailers.
You really need actual weights, loaded up ready to go camping for any calculator to be accurate.