Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2017, 07:33 PM   #1

Truck bed camera for 5th wheel gooseneck hitch

Hi,

I am a first time 5th wheel owner using a Chevy 2500 set up with a gooseneck hitch ball. I have never owned an RV before so my backing skills to get hooked up are awful and I also travel by myself. Can someone suggest a camera I can mount on the floor of the bed or on the gooseneck itself so I can see the ball to hook up? Suggestions where to mount? I also have a factory installed tool box at the front of the bed so it could also get mounted to that. Right now, it's taking me anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to get hooked up to the ball.

Frustrated & on the road right now!

Thanks,

Tackersmom
Tackersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2017, 07:42 PM   #2

Go to: Rearviewsafety.com, they have lots of different types of cameras and monitors, wired and wireless. The wireless models only require a power wire which is easy to run. You can tie the power to parking lights or any other 12v source. The items Rear View carries are quality and no junk. I've purchased from them and was very pleased!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:14 PM   #3

I know you asked about cameras, but here is another possible solution, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With practice I have gent pretty good about being able to hook up on my own by watching where the hitch crosses the tailgate and a reference mark on my back window. I am usually on side to side, but I need to get out 1-2 times for distance . Often times faster then when I have a backer because I can physically see what I need to do.

I bought a set of the magnets I linked above since they were cheep to try. I only use one since you can see the top part of the hitch or the trailer itself. I have used it about 4-5 times now and seems to to be quite a bit easier.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:39 AM   #4

tackersmom: how high is your toolbox?
1. if it is level with the top of the box, you should be able to see when your hitch crosses the tailgate, put a small mark there and line up your hitch on that, stretch a couple of bungee cords across the box at the point where the hitch will be over the ball, back up in line with the marks until your hitch hits the cord. Another trick I do is that as I get close, I try to have the height of the hitch so that it will slightly rub the top of the ball, as I back up, the truck pushes down when the hitch hits the ball and pops back up when it gets in place.
2. If your toolbox is a crossbox style that sits above the bed level you have to be a little more creative, I used an old cb antenna with magnetic base to help line up a boat trailer hitch that I could never see. just place it (or something similar, that will stick up high enough) in front of where the hitch should end up and aim for that.
Good luck, and welcome to the RV world!
Tightwadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:30 AM   #5

Hi. Respectfully, if it is taking 30 mins to an hour just to hook up you just need practice. I too hitch and unhitch alone. No camera. I can see my hitch and the pin over my right shoulder. After much practice, I can hitch or unhitch safely in minute or 2

Don't worry, it will get easier
Old 07-15-2017, 08:58 AM   #6

Got a laptop or such? Add an external web cam.....$8.00!......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
A camera would be nice but I don't want to add one more item to my dash area. I put a hitch stick I made on the 5th wheel hitch (a rod on an antenna mag mount) and line it up with a mark on the front of the trailer when I knock it over I'm there.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:56 PM   #8

I place a telescopic pencil magnet right in front of the ball, I can see it through the rear view mirror and when it touches the coupler I stop. Simple as can be.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:38 PM   #9

I would say 'What Raineman said'. I was terrible at first (although not 1/2 hr terrible ). I'm now down to a couple of minutes. Faster with help. Practice, practice, practice.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #10

Best Rear View Camera Solution

Buy a new F-250 with rear view camera mounted on stop light above rear window. Perfect!
Grzly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #11

I got one of these https://www.amazon.com/Rampage-Produ...rampage+camera.

With the magnetic mount, I was able to experiment with different locations. For me, the best camera location for hitching up the 5th wheel, was on the roof of the truck, aimed at the hitch.

With the magnetic mount and rechargeable battery, a second advantage is that after using it to hitch up operation, , When I get to where I'm going, I can slap it onto the back of the 5er, as a backup camera for backing into a site.

While I'm driving, I have it inside the truck, charging up.

Once, after hitching up, I forgot to take the camera off of the roof. About 500 miles later, I pulled into the campground, and noticed that i didn't have the camera. I was amazed to find it, still sitting right where I had left it on the roof. That's a good magnet.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #12

iBall has worked fine for me. Never used it for a gooseneck, but it was the greatest battery operated marital devise ever when we had a bumper pull.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:13 AM   #13

Recommend you look at Haloview.com
Tide Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:39 PM   #14
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzly03 View Post
Buy a new F-250 with rear view camera mounted on stop light above rear window. Perfect!
This. It is an absolute gem for hooking up when you can't see the hitch, which I can't with my bed cover rolled up. It has a centering line that lets me hit it perfectly and quickly. The problem is the cost of buying a whole truck just to get a camera might be a bit over the top.

I did see the rearviewsafety.com website listed in a prior post has replacement high mounted stop lamps with a built in camera for a number of models of trucks. That might be worth a look as a reasonable cost solution.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, camera