Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #1

Question Truck to Trailer Plug Corrosion Protectant

I'm looking for something to apply to the electrical contacts in the 7 prong connector that will prevent oxidation of the contact surfaces. I previously used a silicone dielectric grease, but recently learned that this grease is an electrical insulator and I'm thinking may be responsible for poor electric brake performance. A grease or spray that protects against oxidation and is also an electrical conductor would be preferred. Does anyone have any suggestions?

One that I've found on the Internet is called Nooxid, but I haven't found a place to purchase it from.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgevans871 View Post
I'm looking for something to apply to the electrical contacts in the 7 prong connector that will prevent oxidation of the contact surfaces. I previously used a silicone dielectric grease, but recently learned that this grease is an electrical insulator and I'm thinking may be responsible for poor electric brake performance. A grease or spray that protects against oxidation and is also an electrical conductor would be preferred. Does anyone have any suggestions?

One that I've found on the Internet is called Nooxid, but I haven't found a place to purchase it from.

I use tuner cleaner from Radio shack works like a charm.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #3

Check an electrical supply specialty store for no-oxid. Any grease containing graphite is an excellent conductive lubricant too. To avoid the mess, I have began to use wife's worn-out fingernail emery boards to clean the contacts. I then wash away any grease and dirt with contact spray. A clean, dry contact has the least resistance.
Keep in mind the spring contacts in the truck/vehicle end will lose their tension over time. This creates a poor contact with high resistance, and sometimes no contact.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:55 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
With my first trailer I had the same problems from the start with oxidation. A friend suggested WD-40. I give it a squirt every month or two. Since then no problems in 10 years.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
To avoid the mess, I have began to use wife's worn-out fingernail emery boards to clean the contacts.
Never use an abrasive on any electrical connection contact. They usually are silver or tin plated to help prevent corrosion and cleaning them this way will speed up the process of corrosion.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out Corrosion X. THE best stuff for electronic connections.
http://www.corrosionx.com/
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDee View Post
Never use an abrasive on any electrical connection contact. They usually are silver or tin plated to help prevent corrosion and cleaning them this way will speed up the process of corrosion.
Jim
That didn't occur to me, thanks Jim.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 04-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I always used a burnishing tool to clean relay contacts. That was part of my standard toolkit. On circuit board contacts I used a ink eraser then wiped with alcohol.

With corrosion on plug contacts I use am emory board and have not experienced any problems. Just don't grind away mercilessly on the contacts. Just "sand" it enough to remove corrosion.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
As Jim notes above, WD-40 works great as it also displaces moisture.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #10

Thanks for the Feedback

Thanks for the advice in your responses. Since I've already filed the contact surfaces to clean them up, I've probably removed most of any original protective coating. I think my best fix at this point, short of replacing the connectors, is just to apply a light coating of an oxide preventive coating and electrically conducting grease such as NO-OX-ID to the contacts. The Corrosion X website indicates it is a dielectric which is also an electrical insulator as noted in my original post. This may be all right in connectors that scrape or force the grease or coating off of the contact surfaces when making the connection, but I don't think that's necessarily what is taking place with this type of connector. I've also heard that WD-40 is good to use with electrical contacts, but see no where on the can or their website where that is a recommended application. I'm again wondering whether the film left on the contact surfaces is a conductive material.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #11

FWIW; WD40; product literature says it may be used to spray on spark plug wires to remove water and insulate the wire from spark-overs when the engine is wet. I know from experience that if it is not allowed to dry completely, when you attempt to re-start the engine after it's use, it can/will catch fire from a spark-over. Things got real interesting quick!
Old 04-10-2009, 02:12 AM   #12

I've always had good luck with diaelectric grease, but the contacts do have to have good tension. You don't want something that conducts electricity, since it's liable to get between the pins.

After a bunch of years of use, though, those things just get beat.

It's only a few bucks and a few minutes to put a new plug on, and reliable brakes are a must-have.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:22 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Corrosion

If you have ever noticed on different vehicle mfgs., they will coat any taillamp bulbs with a small amount of lithium grease. I found that Penzzoil actually sells it in like a butter tub. Some is yellowish, and some is white, either way, it's a good corrosion fighter, and is conductive, so no loss of connection there. Good Luck,
David G.

justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote