RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #1

Trucks

I am going to be purchasing a new 5th wheel in the near future. I need a truck to pull it. What should I be looking for in a truck to pull a 5th that is no more than 40 long. Also, which truck maker would be the best for comfort, reliable and power.

1maddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #2

Check the weights on the trailer you choose, that'll guide you in truck selection

Old 12-13-2018, 04:26 PM   #3

What year truck will be in your budget. I know improvements were made in 2011 for Chevy and 2017 for Ford. Ram has also been improved thru those same years.

There are guys that like Ram trucks, guys that like Fords and guys that like Chevy trucks. They are all right IMHO.

Once you buy the 5th wheel the dealerships I have delt with will hold the trailer for a few months

When you start to look at trucks you will want to look at the door stickers to see the occupant/cargo capacity. That will be a key into how much weight you can put on the truck with the weight of the 5th wheel plus other stuff.

Ask to have this posting be moved to the towing forum.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:00 PM   #4

Length has little to do with choosing WHICH truck to tow a 5th wheel

5th wheel .....pin weight is carried by the trucks rear axle
So check the 5th wheels GVWR....then use 22% of that weight as a WET Pin Weight

Then check the trucks RAWR

RAWR minus curb weight will give you an idea of how much weight can be added to rear axle (wet pin weight, hitch weight, and some of the cargo weight ie: you/passengers/stuff)

Example:
5th wheel GVWR 15,000#
Wet pin at 22%----3300#

2018 3500 SRW truck RAWR 7000#
Curb weight 2950#
7000-2950=4050 available weight capacity on rear axle
4050-200# (hitch)-500# (cargo)=3350#
50# under trucks RAWR

Doable...within axle rating
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:21 AM   #5

I'm Ford through and through. Even the 6.0 didn't scare me.....almost broke me though.

I now have a 2015 F350 6.7 dually. Ford improved the 6.7 that year. I am impressed with it. It tows my 1994 13,000 lb 5th wheel like it isn't even back there. It's amazing how much stress and fatigue adds up in a day's driving when it feels like you are always pushing it.
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
What year truck will be in your budget. I know improvements were made in 2011 for Chevy and 2017 for Ford. Ram has also been improved thru those same years.

There are guys that like Ram trucks, guys that like Fords and guys that like Chevy trucks. They are all right IMHO.

Once you buy the 5th wheel the dealerships I have delt with will hold the trailer for a few months

When you start to look at trucks you will want to look at the door stickers to see the occupant/cargo capacity. That will be a key into how much weight you can put on the truck with the weight of the 5th wheel plus other stuff.

Ask to have this posting be moved to the towing forum.

When I do buy a truck, I will be budgeting a new truck.
1maddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #7

For me there is only one reliable diesel engine on the market today for pick-up trucks. That is the Cummins straight 6 cylinder 6.7L engine. Simplistic in design (less moving parts) and ease of service. So, the wrapper for this engine is the Ram trucks. Ram has now provided two good transmission that can be mated to the 6.7L Cummins. The first is the A6 68RFE which several users have reached over 300K miles on them without a failure. The other is the AISIN A6 AS69RC transmission and the statement I hear about this one is : You Just Can't Break the AISIN" .

I have attached a PDF file on the towing and weights for the RAM truck for 2018. All Ram trucks are certified to meet the S.A.E. towing J2807 towing requirements. https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html Look at the 3500 requirements for your needs. This will cover all SRW or DRW trucks.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Depends on the RV weight first, budget second, then your preferences of type of fuel aesthetics and comfort for said budget. After that truck is a truck.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #9

Just an FYI - model year 2020 will bring all new redesigned trucks from Chevy, Ford and Ram.

Todays trucks with a diesel engine have gobs (technical term) of power. I had a 2012 F-450 which I used to tow a 16,000lb 5th wheel. I liked the way this truck towed that 5th wheel. No towing fatigue at all.

Since 2012 Ford improved their trucks in 2017 and will again in 2020 model year.

If you budget for a new 2020 truck you will have a wizz bang towing machine. If you are not a truck guy yet you will be pleasantly surprised as the current trucks a very refined. The very 1st time I towed my 5th wheel with my brand new 2012 F-450 I towed it 998 miles from Crystal River Florida to Columbus Ohio straight thru. No fatigue and a very easy tow.

With Ram, Chevy, Ford redesigning new trucks no matter which truck you buy you will be happy.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
For me there is only one reliable diesel engine on the market today for pick-up trucks. That is the Cummins straight 6 cylinder 6.7L engine. Simplistic in design (less moving parts) and ease of service. So, the wrapper for this engine is the Ram trucks. Ram has now provided two good transmission that can be mated to the 6.7L Cummins. The first is the A6 68RFE which several users have reached over 300K miles on them without a failure. The other is the AISIN A6 AS69RC transmission and the statement I hear about this one is : You Just Can't Break the AISIN" .

I have attached a PDF file on the towing and weights for the RAM truck for 2018. All Ram trucks are certified to meet the S.A.E. towing J2807 towing requirements. https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html Look at the 3500 requirements for your needs. This will cover all SRW or DRW trucks.
Id love to know why mine sounds like a can of spray paint in a paint shaker under partial load then.
Jshopes81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #11

There really is no right answer to this question. Each maker pulls very well when equipped properly for the load. What you need to address is which truck has the interior that you like the most. That right there will be your number one determining factor. Each maker takes a slightly different approach to who their interior will be best for.

One thing to be aware of is that while these trucks have greatly improved over the last 15 years, each maker has its own issues. None of them really share the same issues either. Do some google research on each one and common problems for each will come up. Theres not really a preference over any because somehow all the different problems cost about the same to fix.

The company i work for is finally switching from dodges to fords at this point. The dodges were cheap to get them rolling but now that some are getting close to 100k on them theyre killing us on keeping them running.

Tuffr: you missed an opportunity to write about the high strength steel. I was actually disappointed.
Jshopes81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:01 PM   #12

Pick the trailer then get the truck, get more than what you think you need.
With a 40 ft trailer your pin weight will be in the 2800 to 3000 Lb. area or more.
I would suggest a long bed over a short bed where you will need an autoslider hitch. If some one tells you that you do not need an autoslider in a short bed, get in writing from them that they will pay for the damage to the cab when the trailer hits it.

My experience: I had a smaller trailer, 11000 GVWR, and towed it with a short bed 2500 diesel with an autoslider. Traded for a 14 Ram 3500 MegaCab SRW short bed no problem towing the trailer I had. Traded for a new 40 ft. trailer (1645 GVWR) with a much higher pin weight. When making sharp turns backing the truck would lean when the slide came back. Traded in the 14 on a new dually long bed and got a B&W hitch. If you want a SWR truck get a long bed so you do not need a sliding hitch.
To prove my point this was a post just down from yours Short Bed Got Me!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Length has little to do with choosing WHICH truck to tow a 5th wheel

5th wheel .....pin weight is carried by the trucks rear axle
So check the 5th wheels GVWR....then use 22% of that weight as a WET Pin Weight

Then check the trucks RAWR

RAWR minus curb weight will give you an idea of how much weight can be added to rear axle (wet pin weight, hitch weight, and some of the cargo weight ie: you/passengers/stuff)

Example:
5th wheel GVWR 15,000#
Wet pin at 22%----3300#

2018 3500 SRW truck RAWR 7000#
Curb weight 2950#
7000-2950=4050 available weight capacity on rear axle
4050-200# (hitch)-500# (cargo)=3350#
50# under trucks RAWR

Doable...within axle rating

This is really bad advice!

If you are looking for a say 36' to 40' 5th wheel there is a lot more to consider than pin and hitch weight. There are passengers, STUFF, the firewood, tools etc.

You should be looking at the GVWR and Payload stickers of the trucks you are looking at.

Even a light 40' is in the range of minimum 350/3500 SRW, a heaver 40' 5er will have a GVWR of 16,000# and puts you in DRW area.
Going by rear GAWR, will put you in a "Just Enough TV" situation where you will need to watch every ounce of stuff you add to the TV or 5er.
WHY spend the $$$$ to get a new diesel TV that the first time you will tow, you will be over the TV GVWR.
Something like this will carry and tow most 40' 5ers, 5,411# payload.

Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
There really is no right answer to this question. Each maker pulls very well when equipped properly for the load. What you need to address is which truck has the interior that you like the most. That right there will be your number one determining factor. Each maker takes a slightly different approach to who their interior will be best for.

One thing to be aware of is that while these trucks have greatly improved over the last 15 years, each maker has its own issues. None of them really share the same issues either. Do some google research on each one and common problems for each will come up. Theres not really a preference over any because somehow all the different problems cost about the same to fix.

The company i work for is finally switching from dodges to fords at this point. The dodges were cheap to get them rolling but now that some are getting close to 100k on them theyre killing us on keeping them running.

Tuffr: you missed an opportunity to write about the high strength steel. I was actually disappointed.
Well, the company, (a large city), that I worked for had Ford diesels in the shop every week with the cabs off on a lift so they could do repairs.

Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote