Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #1

True Wholesale to public dealers in Ohio?

We are looking for 5th wheel camper as our full time RV of choices, currently own a Class A 34" but no slides. We are located in north Alabama. In talking with some campers recently heard several mention that there were wholesalers in Ohio that sold new units well below MSRP, no names given, checked internet and found Jeff Couch and their prices are very good. In a discussion with a salesman he mentioned there were 3 dealers in Ohio that sold wholesale to public. But he did not give names of other 2. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience in this area. Had thought we would have to buy used to fit budget but the prices from Couch make me think twice. Curious thing though is all their used inventory cost more than new units, they explained by saying folks had bought at full price dealers and owed as much or more than asking price. Not hung up on Ohio and willing to travel for a great deal. We are not hung up on new as all RVs seem to really take a huge drop in first few years. I guess ideal situation would be buying a used unit that was bought at wholesale price, but have not run across that deal yet. Are there corners cut on these wholesale units? to reduce cost? Looking for education. thanks and May God Bless you all

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a PM to member Superslif. I believe he bought his last TT this way & saved thousands. I know he's quite happy with his TT.

L-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
we will be looking into this and keep you all updated
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jeff Couch RV https://www.couchsrvnation.com/ Only does TT we are looking for MH dealers ??

THANKS
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:29 PM   #5

RV Wholesalers.com are real cheap. They sell well below MSRP.
Also WanaRV is really cheap. They're in Indiana though.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #6

I was at RV Wholesalers about 1 year ago. Their set-up is interesting. About 15 kids, 20 - 25 years old in small cubicles on the phone and laptops.

Their units were kinda hap hazard and not organized or set-up very well. I did not get a warm fuzzy feeling.

They did have the units that were on their web site. The units I looked at, once they were found on the lot (s) were clean and appeared the same as on any dealer lot.

But - I felt I could get close to that same price from a standard dealer (if I took 4 hours over a few days negotiating) Using a wholesaler will save you an easy $500 to $1000.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #7

Lakeshore Rv in Muskegon, Mi. or one their other locations scattered across the country...

Regards
Old 03-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Define "wholesale to the public"? Sounds like a marketing name to me. What's the difference? You could probably negotiate the same price from a local dealer if you have good haggling skills. All dealers buy these rigs around a similar price, it just comes down to which dealer wants the lowest gross margin.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwky View Post
Define "wholesale to the public"? Sounds like a marketing name to me. What's the difference? You could probably negotiate the same price from a local dealer if you have good haggling skills. All dealers buy these rigs around a similar price, it just comes down to which dealer wants the lowest gross margin.
maybe...but not the norm I have seen...This topic comes up frequently on many sites...The vast majority of posters have not been able to negotiate a local deal that is close to what the popular discounters provide...often the difference is in multiple thousands...I doubt that these posters all have less than "good" haggling skills...

Regards
Old 03-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Send a PM to member Superslif. I believe he bought his last TT this way & saved thousands. I know he's quite happy with his TT.
Yes, couldn't be happier, except for this crappy weather.

Be sure your talking about the same place. There are two RV dealers in Ohio that go by almost the same name. The one I dealt with is Ohio RV Wholesale in Findlay Ohio (about an hour south of Toledo, Ohio) The other one is RV Wholesale...I don't know any thing about that one.

Yes, I got a great deal on the 2013 Aerolite tt I bought in Feb. of 2012. Below is a PM below about the sale from back in Feb. 2012:

Quote:
Ohio RV Wholesale

I just can't believe the price I got the new one for. 6 months ago All-Seasons quoted $19,500 + mine back in the summer of 2011 when that new floorplan ( #232E) came out. That was for a 2012 Aerolite #232 hybrid.

Fast forward to the Cleveland RV show in Jan of 2012. They were still at about $18,500 / $19k plus my 2005 Aerolite hybrid. So I Googled what I wanted and Ohio Rv Wholesale came up. I called and the owner and me got on a 3 way call with him and the factory rep. After I told the rep what options I wanted, he gave me a price on the phone of $9800 + mine. Took about 30 seconds. I was like @?87%$g...I was speechless, I usually like to negotiate, but they caught me off guard. So that was 50% less than All-Seasons. Both were giving me $6500 for my trade.

So I told him I would be out there with in a day or two (2-1/2 hours away). I called All-Seasons and said " I'll give you 24 hours to give me your best and final offer". They called back 5 times and got down to $15,500 plus mine. So the next day I drove out to Ohio RV Wholesale in Findlay Ohio.

I felt much better driving over there yesterday and checking out the place (Ohio RV Wholesale). From what I can see, he lets the regular dealers : show the RV, talk people into buying one, have the RV store for supplies, have a big repair facility, do the shows, advertise, offer free lunch and give-a-ways . So he can "steal" the customer by offering a blow-a-way price and not have the overhead of a full pledged RV dealer. He offers financing and extended warranties, but I don't see him doing much warranty work at his building. Just the prep work. Since most people are driving from far away or being delivered, they well take them to a different dealer for warranty stuff.

His place is very simple. He had about 50 new RV's in the lot. Rebember just tt's and 5ers. He only handles 11 lines from four manufacturers. Only tt's and 5ers. ( no motorized !!) His newer building has room for 3 RV's inside just to prep them. Outside they are bumper to bumper. Every square foot of blacktop is taken up by a new RV.

On his website he will list every model of the 11 lines he carries. He has some on site, otherwise he worked in Elkcart IN. for 20 years and has relationships with all the 11 line's head reps.

A asked what do you do when I bring my trade in which you are giving me $6500 for? I'll blow it out for $7500 on RV Trader...I don't keep them...There usually here for 2-3 weeks tops...Most dealers sit on them...I get rid of them...

Over 80% / 90% of his deals the person never sets foot into Ohio. Monday he has two tt's going to KY. and one to FL. Sold 3-4 to British Columbia. He charges a buck a mile to deliver. If a person is saving $10k on a new 5er. what is another $500 to deliver.

Like I said, I had it written in the contract I can sell it ( my 2005 Aerolite) myself before I pick my new one up. Right now I have it listed for $10,900 on Craigslist. I have a guy coming over Friday. He really sounded interested, I can shock him with 8 or 9k and still be head. Anything over 7k I make money...I had come to realize in my heart my tt is worth much more than the open market is willing to offer. Ended up selling it for $8500.

Waited 6 weeks for it to be build. He called me about a week before. he said I got some other news for ya. There done making 2012's, so your getting a 2013 (same trailer).

PDA went OK...felt a little rushed because they had it inside finishing up the prep and they needed the space for the next tt.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #11

For what its worth info. Bought twice from RVW in Lakeview OH and would buy again from them. All these "wholesalers" still need to make a profit but the prices are still good. The last unit I bought I went to another dealer and he told me that they would not sell me the TT at the price they quoted therefore he would not match it. He was wrong and I still have it. They may try to sell you an expensite extended waranty but you can just say no. They don't or didn't take trades.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:11 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
It's always better when you don't have a trade or you not under water on the trade.

Did the same thing when we purchased our first Coleman ( 1999) pop-up. Called a dealer 90 miles away for a price $1800 less for a PUP. When I called I said this is what I want, what will you offer to get me to drive an hour and a half to buy from you.

Ohio RV Wholesale did have a small store that sold hitch stuff and some basic RV items.

So far after two seasons and about 110 nights very happy with our 2013 Aerolite 3232E hybrid

Used a variation of this to purchase my new 14' Tundra. Came down to writing a "out the door" price on a piece of paper and watching 3 managers walking around my trade for a second time. 15 minutes later was signing paperwork.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #13

Thanks for input

Appreciate the feedback, after a few days of internet shopping, the Ohio dealers mentioned in above post all seem to offer much better prices upfront. I realize and expect any business needs to make a profit. In Ala the dealers are selling at or near MSRP and Ohio dealers are several thousands if not tens of thousands less on same or comparable units.

At this point Jeff Couch RV seems to have best upfront prices. Others have offered to meet his prices if I finance with them and my plan was to pay cash. Lets you know a little about the lending kick back aspect.

Anyway thanks again for positive and helpful feedback.
Randy
Old 03-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #14

I just purchased a unit from Jeff Couch, and I was pleased with the price and the purchase process.

Tags
dealer, sale