Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My next door neighbor has the Costco Smarter Tool 2000 watt gen. It is quite and runs anything in his RV except the AC. ~$600 at Costco. 2 of them will run the AC.
http://www.costco.com/.product.10012...rySiloedViewCP

I have a 8 year old 1KW Kipor. Bought in a pawn shop for $285. It still runs great (replaced fuel pump with a Honda's) It is quite and runs 4-5 hours a day for a week every year at the AIBF Balloon Fiesta. It charges the batteries, runs the TV and computers, lights, ect.

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
Keep in mind that these "loud" generators that you are thinking of are normally rated at 70db and normal conversation is about 65db at 6 feet. Yes, you can hear them, but you can stand right next to it and talk to someone, not yell at them.

I can't have a conversation with someone standing right next to a vacuum cleaner! I have to yell !

😃
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1422302975.415546.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	84324

Old 01-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #17

<laughing>

My wife just stopped in and I related some of the feedback from here to her... Her comment was "Find someone in there that absolutely HATES fan noise (she means fans like you move air around the house with). If THEY think the generator is quiet, FINE. Otherwise, they ALL sound like lawnmowers or snowblowers to me!"

Since light/portable is important (I have to be able to put it in the back of the truck bed and take it out to set on the ground, and get it from the bed to the garage for storage without killing myself - and I'm old), I've moved away from wanting to run the A/C with the thing. Since there'll be 3 computers involved and some other electronics I best do the inverter/generator thing. We figure it'll be cool in April, usually May, September and October. June, July, August we'll just have to have electricity... It would be really convenient to part at the show halls for setting up and such, and I can't rely on having electricity to the trailer without a generator...

I'm going to check with the local rental place to see what they have. If they have one of these "quiet" units, I may rent it for the day, bring it home and put it next to the trailer in the driveway to see just how loud it is inside the trailer. If whats-her-name gets homicidal in 5 minutes I'll know I can stop doing research 'cause it ain't gonna fly. If she says "Wow, that's quieter than you breaking wind, honey", then I can proceed... Looking at some of the "good" units like Ryobi, Generac and such rather than the Yamaha or Honda, but we'll see...
Old 01-26-2015, 02:44 PM   #18

Here is one from Home Depot Westinghouse 1800 Running Watt 2200 Starting Watt Gasoline Digital Inverter Generator with Parallel Capabilities-WH2000iXLT - The Home Depot

Would this one run the AC unit on my 1976 Sovereign, 30Amp connection? I am looking for something to use at storage when i want to work on the trailer, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Got all that?

Check the tag on the AC unit, your biggest power user. If it says 12 amps or less, you can probably use a 2000 watt generator from Home Depot or Costco. Spend a little extra for the quiet one that looks like a suit case, the open ones are LOUD.

Example, amps ( 8.3 ) times volts ( 120 ) equals watts ( 996 )

Volts will alwsys be 120 so look at your stuff and find the amps it uses. If it lists watts, there is no math.

If you have the AC running and turn on the microwave, the generator will probably kick out, from to many watts. Just learn to manage your power.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Here is one from Home Depot Westinghouse 1800 Running Watt 2200 Starting Watt Gasoline Digital Inverter Generator with Parallel Capabilities-WH2000iXLT - The Home Depot

Would this one run the AC unit on my 1976 Sovereign, 30Amp connection? I am looking for something to use at storage when i want to work on the trailer, thanks.
I think I have determined that this generator would not run my AC unit.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I think I have determined that this generator would not run my AC unit.

I believe you are right. I think it takes a minimum of 3000-4000 watt generator.

Don't forget the engine output of a generator will be affected by altitude, and as mentioned above, the starting load of the compressor will increase with temperature.

A generator that starts the A/C when you try it on a cool day at sea level may have trouble doing the same on a 100 degree day at a couple of thousand feet altitude.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:39 PM   #21

I called the local rental place and they HAVE one of the Ryobi 2000 watt generators I can rent to see how loud it really is at home with my wife. I also asked about the MUCH less expensive open frame generators and he likened it to have a lawn mower or vacuum cleaner right next to you. NOT something ANYONE wants to be anywhere around...

So, I'm going to try to rent it this week and see just how loud the thing is.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
I called the local rental place and they HAVE one of the Ryobi 2000 watt generators I can rent to see how loud it really is at home with my wife. I also asked about the MUCH less expensive open frame generators and he likened it to have a lawn mower or vacuum cleaner right next to you. NOT something ANYONE wants to be anywhere around...

So, I'm going to try to rent it this week and see just how loud the thing is.

The inverter generators only run as fast as they need to for the load.....so to get an accurate noise level plug a hair dryer into it to give a decent load.... Now if you just want to run your laptop computers and charge batteries, the generator will barely have to run above an idle....very quiet.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:04 AM   #23

While you are out and about camping and before you make a decision to by a generator, keep an eye out for someone running a BOLIY inverter style generator. They are 3000 watt with 3600 peak start up, usually blue in colour for U.S. models and red for Canadian models, and run just under $1000. in the states. I have used one on my 5ver for the last 5yrs without trouble running anything including 15k a/c. A buddy of mine has been using one on his farm for 8-9 yrs to run the immersion heaters on his solar powered stock waterers.
The Boliy units pretty much compare to the Honda 3000i in terms of performance and sound for less than 1/2 the price. I worked 15yrs for Honda and decided even if my Boliy lasts 1/2 as long as a Honda I can buy a brand new Boliy and still have the same outlay as a honda.
Cheers Rick T.
www.boliygenerator.com
Old 01-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I can't have a conversation with someone standing right next to a vacuum cleaner! I have to yell !

😃
The sound of a vacuum and a generator are totally different. I have an open frame type and yes, you can hear it, but I have had a conversation standing next to it with no problem.
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #25

Well, I have GOOD news and I have BAD news..... The good news is I rented the 2000 watt Ryobi (which, from some of my reading, is considered one of the better/adequate quiet of the much less expensive than the Honda units) and set it up and hung out in the trailer.....

The BAD news is SHE HATED IT... There is NO possible way my wife would tolerate this thing for any length of time. And when I flipped the electric heater on at the low setting and the thing revved up, she DEFINITELY didn't like it. Even at idle, even 25 feet away, even on the other side of the car on the other side of the driveway. I have to admit - I also thought it was a LOT louder than I'd expected.

When I went back to the rental place there were two guys there. Both have the Honda Super Quiet 3000 watt units. Both told me you hear THOSE too. Yes, they're quiet, but they're still loud enough that you hear the thing running all the time. And if you put a load on and it revs up you definitely hear it...

So, I have a feeling the whole generator thing may be dead. Now I'm wondering if we can add an extra batter or even 2, and put in a larger inverter that'll run the computers, tv, and satellite receiver/dvr... If I could get two mornings and two evenings out of those - figure 10 - 12 hours, that would be acceptable... We wouldn't have the microwave or toaster or A/C at the show halls, but we could live without those... I haven't looked to see how much juice stuff draws or what I'd need to power it, so I've got some work to do.

I'll also look at the Boliy units. I've never seen anything blue that I can recall, and where we've been I've never even seen anyone using a portable generator - just motorhomes with built-in ones, but I'll go look.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #26

You need to understand that no generator is completely silent. You will hear all of them, but if she says absolutely not, well, that ends that.
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #27

FWIW a true sine wave inverter makes power that looks like any standard generator. Generators are all sine wave output *except* Inverter generators like the Honda that makes DC and chops it into AC electronically. That may be an issue with an Inverter Generator. I think Honda does pay attention to getting their output to look like a normal generator. I would not guarantee it with some of the clone off brand cheaper stuff. OTOH a cheap gas construction generator makes as good or better AC as the Honda.

Except for some very low horsepower motors (look for impedance protected in the description) motors look like a short circuit at startup. As the motor spins up the load decreases. That causes a high load on startup. With a normal generator the effect of a near or slightly over capacity startup current is line sag. The amount of sag may or may not be an issue for the starting motor. With an inverter generator the high starting current may trigger the over current shut down. Current monitoring self protection is common in electronics like inverters but an extra option in generators.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #28

FWIW2 - Inverters. Do yourself a favor and run a couple of smaller inverters. It's cheaper and you will not need to supply power to a big inverter to run a small load. If your computers are laptops look into a DC power supply for them. The manufacturers usually have them available.

FWIW if you give up on the AC loads and only want to charge batteries you can go solar or use the small noisy 900-1000 W cheap generators for a couple of hours a day. I have one of those generators that cost less than $100 on sale at Harbor Freight.

Tags
generator