Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2015, 05:46 PM   #43
Community Moderator

Like this.....

http://www.mayberrys.com/Honda/generators/eu2combo.aspx

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1422578748.786732.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	84636
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2015, 05:59 PM   #44

I have heard good things about the Yamaha 2800 inverter generator. I had one in 2006 and it wasn't to heavy and just a little louder then a EU 2000I.

Check it out
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #45

I thought about doing 2 smaller generators, but remember the crazy lady... The LAST thing I need is the extra noise of 2 generators rather than 1... And as I understand it, the extra noise isn't necessarily a LOT, but it's at least 3db more...

In my wanderings, I found some discussions that talked about noise. The consensus was that IN MANY CASES the noise of a 3000 watt generator was as low or LOWER than a 2000 that was running heavily loaded... As I understand it, the 3000 was much less loaded and didn't have to work nearly as hard...
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:11 AM   #46
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
I thought about doing 2 smaller generators, but remember the crazy lady... The LAST thing I need is the extra noise of 2 generators rather than 1... And as I understand it, the extra noise isn't necessarily a LOT, but it's at least 3db more...

In my wanderings, I found some discussions that talked about noise. The consensus was that IN MANY CASES the noise of a 3000 watt generator was as low or LOWER than a 2000 that was running heavily loaded... As I understand it, the 3000 was much less loaded and didn't have to work nearly as hard...

Yes, but look at the weight! 134 lbs without oil or gas ! Can you move that in and out of your truck? The two smaller 50 lb units you could put 50 feet or more away from the trailer.....as far as your extension cord goes.... The big heavy unit would stay in the truck bed. The truck bed might even amplify the noise as the vibrations set up a resonance in the sheet metal (unless you have a spray on bed liner)

Also remember that when you combine the outputs from the two 2000's they won't be working as hard as the one 3000....with the extra 1000 watt reserve capacity to boot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1422619688.133417.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	84669
Old 01-30-2015, 05:19 AM   #47
Community Moderator

Trying to understand generators...

Here is some more reading about this very same dilemma to help you decide...

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...Tid/568420.cfm

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...0i-116922.html

https://forums.woodalls.com/Index.cf...g/23876756.cfm

Old 01-30-2015, 10:52 AM   #48

Excellent info - rummaged all the links... There's some disagreement about noise in the various discussions so let me ask directly 'cause I need a pretty quick answer...

How is fuel usage between the 2000 watt and 3000 watt generator at the same load... The 3000 should be significantly less loaded at the same load, but how does that translate to gallons/hour for each?

How is NOISE based on generator load? If I turn on the microwave with the 2000 watt generator, it jumps to full speed and the noise volume goes WAY up. Doing the same thing with the 3000 watt unit - will it run slower and less loaded, and be quieter? That's an extreme example, but even just running tv, receiver, lights, computer, monitor, and so on, will the 3000 watt unit be considerably quieter because it's less loaded?

Yes, I know turning on the A/C will make anything loud, but I've ALREADY been informed that "THERE WILL NO SLEEPING WITH THE A/C ON AND THAT $%$^&*#! THING HOWLING OUTSIDE!" By the same token, everyone appears in agreement that 2 small units ARE louder than 1 larger unit, which makes it LESS desirable 'cause of the spouse with ears like a bat!

So, does 1 3000 watt unit use less fuel than 2 2000 watt units? How about 1 2000 watt compared to a 3000 watt generator at the SAME LOAD?
And noise - is 3000 watts 1/3 loaded going to be quieter than 2000 watts at 50% load? or 3000 watts 2/3 loaded versus a 2000 watt unit at full load? Yes, I'd rather not have to lift an 80 pound Yamaha or Champion, but I can MANAGE that. I know I can't manage a 140 pound Honda, so since we most likely WON'T run the A/C (I figure she'll change her mind later, but for the moment I just keep saying "yes dear, whatever you think best, dear"), which way is going to be the quietest...

Oh, and yes, the truck has a spray-in bed liner, so if I have to I can put the generator on a rubber pad in the bed and it HOPEFULLY won't amplify the noise...
Old 01-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #49

Regarding gas usage, Honda publishes the gas usage at certain loads so you can use those to compare. Also keep in mind how often you'll have to refill the fuel tank at a given load. The EU2000 only has a 1 gallon tank.

I have dual EU2000's and, when needed, connect an extended run 5 gallon tank. That gives 7 gallons of fuel capacity (1 gallon in each generator + 5).

I tend to agree that a single EU2000 at full load will be louder than a 3000. However, if you're using dual 2000's, at the same load then it's tougher to compare to the 3000. Honestly, unless someone has actually owned and compared these generators under load, it's anyone's guess.
drewtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #50

Outdoors RV Owners Club
One thing to remember is that if you don't need to use both of the 2K watt gennies at the same time, you don't have to. If most of your usage only needs one gennie, it doesn't make sense to me to run both. Only fire the other one up if you need it and save fuel and reduce noise.

All other things being equal (and I know they're not, but just follow along for a second), one smaller gennie running near full throttle will be quieter than a larger engine gennie running the same load, but I doubt that anyone over the age of fifty could tell the difference (age related hearing loss).

If your wife is so sensitive to the issue, just save your money, tell her no gennie at all, and then make her do all the research and purchasing so she has to live with her decisions.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #51

"If your wife is so sensitive to the issue, just save your money, tell her no gennie at all, and then make her do all the research and purchasing so she has to live with her decisions.

Well, sure, that will solve everything....

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:53 AM   #52

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Well, sure, that will solve everything....

Joe
It isn't my fault she reacts the way she does to his problems, but it just might be his fault.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #53

I have an EU3000i - last summer we went to ABQ and spent a long weekend in the parking lot of the Hotel (we were at a ham convention) - I left the generator in the bed of the pickup in front of the hitch. The truck was just unhitched and pulled forward just enough to clear the trailer for leveling. Since it is hot in ALBQ in the summer we ran the generator all the time we were in the trailer. No noise problem until an 18 wheeler pulled in and parked about half a block from us and left his damn reefer on all night! You can't hear the genny from the trailer - it is in front, so the sound has to go through the endcap, bedroom and into the living room. Couldn't tell it was running, except we were cool! I did get in the truck while the thing was running...the vibration from the generator in the pickup was not very comfy, but even that close it was not noisy.

Used to be I could lift it in and out by myself, but in the interest of my back, I mounted a Harbor Freight electric winch in my garage rafters and use it to lift in and out the genny - and the hitch.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:04 PM   #54

Ah, but 1bigmess is right... After 45 years of marriage, these type of things are generally my fault! I DID have the conversation of the type "OK, we're at the show hall and there's no campground and now power... Will you mind living with a couple lights and nothing else for the 3 days?" She agreed that she WOULD NOT like that... But had NO options for alternatives except to send me out to do research.

Unfortunately, age related deafness HAS NOT hit my wife! Woman has ears like a bat and can hear tiny noises from miles away! And for some reason, she's one of those people that fan noise and related-type constant noise really bothers. She HATES to have the whole-house fan on, even on low, and can hear it from downstairs, but she deals with it except at night. BUT, as I said, she's now willing to go to a generator...

Which is why the question came up - at the same load, would the larger generator be quieter than the smaller one. Since I didn't know, I figured I'd best ask. In my rummaging I found a statement with a Honda noise chart:

Sometimes a larger generator will be considerably more quiet at a given load. This is definitely true on the Honda inverter generators. For instance, a Honda EU3000is generator supplying 1000 watts will only be about 52dB where at the same 1000 watt load, a Honda EU2000i would be running near 57dB or the Honda EU1000i would be at full load and running at 59dB.

Which agrees with drewtk's statement that a 3000 would be quieter than a 2000 at the same load, and differs from 1bigmess's statement that "one smaller gennie running near full throttle will be quieter than a larger engine gennie running the same load"... So, which is it?
Old 01-30-2015, 05:11 PM   #55
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
Yes, I'd rather not have to lift an 80 pound Yamaha or Champion, but I can MANAGE that. I know I can't manage a 140 pound Honda, so since we most likely WON'T run the A/C

If you can't lift the Honda 3000 at 140 lbs......what other 3000 watt generator are you considering? Any 3000 watt generator you can lift will be WAY LOUDER than the dual Honda 2000's.

Like others have said before, the benefit to having 2 smaller generators is that you only run one if your needs dictate.

Be aware this ability to link two generators, and draw maximum power from both simultaneously is something special. Regular, non-inverter generators CANNOT do this. Also as far as I know only a few brands have this capability....Honda and Yamaha are the only two I know for sure have it.

Try this.......plug in your trailer to shore power and run the air conditioner. Then run the generator test again. It's doubtful your wife will be able to hear the generator over the noise the A/C is making 😃
Old 01-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #56

Could be a small Honda with an added one later. Or the Yamaha 2400 that I believe weighs in at around 75 pounds. Or the Champion 3100 that's about 84 pounds. I was thinking of the small Honda(s) 'cause I would rather not have the 140 pound eu3000...

Honda is easy to get worked on around here. Yamaha not so much. As near as I can tell, the nearest Yamaha dealer is a long way away.

As for running the A/C, I agree that with it on, the generator isn't going to be a big issue. I mentioned that to the wife.

Anyhow, still back to my question about a 2000 watt anything handling say 1200 watts versus a 3000 watt handling the same 1200 watts. Which is quieter?

Tags
generator