Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #1

TST 507 accuracy

My TST 507 sensors all ready about 5-6psi lower than three of my hand held pressure gauges (which are all within 1 psi of each other). Has anybody else noticed their TST system being this far off? I know it doesn't really matter but I wish there was a way to calibrate the system so the pressures were accurate.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2016, 11:44 AM   #2

Mine were about 3-4 lbs off from several other hand-helds. Called TST about it but they weren't too concerned--not bad customer service, just not concerned. Tend to agree with them that consistency is more important than "accuracy." I want to know when rapid/significant changes in temp or pressure occur rather than knowing my fronts are really 102 vs 105. I calibrate against the avg of my hand-helds and move on down the road...no worries....

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:54 AM   #3

If the sensors are ALWAYS 3-4lbs off, and all your other gauges are consistent with each other, then how do you actually know the hand-helds are right? I know, picky, picky.
Old Scout is correct--always pay attention to the psi trends--are all tires even, or steady?
Is the sun side a little higher than the shade side? Consider the variance and add pressure as needed to run the tires where you want them, the let the sensors report from there.
My 507s are steady enough and close enough to not cause me any worries about whether they are correct to the psi.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:04 PM   #4

I understand the trend (and consistency) is what matters but I expected better accuracy or a way to calibrate the sensors. I run three different pressures in my tires (front and rear truck axles plus the RV). I also need to compensate for ambient temperatures because where I live it's in the 30's. Where I'm traveling it will be in the 80's. I already need to make enough adjustments for my situation so I was hoping I could at least have accurate sensors as 5-6 psi is not insignificant. It's disappointing but not the end of the world.

As for the accuracy of the handheld units I use, not only are all three of them within 1psi of each other but they also match the TPMS systems in two of our cars. Yes, I suppose all FIVE of those systems might be off but it's more likely the TST sensors are inaccurate.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:21 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not something that I'd lose any sleep over.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Not something that I'd lose any sleep over.
Trust me, I have bigger fish to fry :-)
Old 02-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post

If the sensors are ALWAYS 3-4lbs off, and all your other gauges are consistent with each other, then how do you actually know the hand-helds are right?

Joe
Joe,

The only gauge your should totally rely on is your calibrated psi tire gauge. Most people don't ever take the time to compare their gauge to a calibrated one which they should do once per year or whenever any damage has happen to your gauge.

I set my tire psi's to my calibrated gauge. After that I don't care what my TPMS says for psi's BUT I do care when I get any alarm or warning from the TPMS.

That's when you stop and look into why a tire is alarming.

PSI and TEMP accuracy is not as important as how each tire is performing under the driving conditions you are currently driving in at the time. That's why it is vitally important to have your low & high psi aims set correctly and also your high temp aim set correctly.

It would be cost prohibitive to have calibrated PSI and TEMP sensors for your TPMS. Trust me you could not afford one. But you can afford to go to your local tire shop and have your favorite tire psi gauge calibrated.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-21-2016, 03:25 PM   #8

The gauge IMO is being used as an alarm. If I'm losing air in a tire or one is overheating I want to know. If I want to set my tires precisely, then as Dr4Film said, I'd use a calibrated gauge. It's more the trend than the exact pressure.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
The gauge IMO is being used as an alarm...
Very true. However, you have to set the alarm parameters and when the 507 sensors are off by 5-6psi as mine are, it requires additional adjustments to the numbers. I ended up creating a spreadsheet to determine what pressures I'm actually running (cold), what pressure my TST display will show and what the alarm pressures are. I could have eliminated one of the variables if the 507 sensors were accurate.

The main purpose on my original post was to see if anybody else had 507 sensors that were inaccurate.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:24 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertschb View Post

Very true. However, you have to set the alarm parameters and when the 507 sensors are off by 5-6psi as mine are, it requires additional adjustments to the numbers.
No it doesn't! You are over thinking this completely!

Trust me if you are setting your parameters correctly then it won't make any difference at all.

Let's say your tires are set at 100 lb's psi for your CPI aim. Then your Low Pressure aim should be about 10% which is 90 lb's psi. So you would input 90 psi for your Low Pressure aim into your control monitor.

However, when you start out in the morning your TST monitor says that your tires are 95 lb's. As you start driving the psi increases as does your tire temp. BUT if you have one tire with a slow leak the alarm will go off once that tire pressure reaches 90 lb's which is still well within the safety factor for an under-inflated tire and WELL before the tire is considered FLAT. FYI, a tire is considered flat once it reaches about 25% under-inflation.

There is no need to do any fudging of numbers just because the sensors are not reading your true psi.

If you had a sensor that was reading significantly lower than the others then that would be cause for replacing that sensor as you would more than likely have to input a much lower LOW psi aim than what is considered a safe value.

Bottom-line you are reading too much into a simple device that doesn't need to be exact.

Hope this helps!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
No it doesn't!
Oh yes it does! :-)

I have to set my low pressure alarm 5psi lower than I would otherwise.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:45 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Why?

If that's what you feel that you HAVE to do then by all means do it if it makes you happy.

After all it is your coach, your tires and your TPMS.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-17-2016, 08:39 PM   #13

If you buy any other system besides TST, I have to ask why? If enough people told me that the quality and service were the best, over and over again, I think that should be convincing enough. All I can say is you won't regret it. Give Debbie at TST a call at 770-889-9102. These are the friendliest most helpful people you'll ever deal with.

2008 Holiday Rambler PDQ Ambassador 360 ISC
2015 Jeep Rubicon
Blue Ox tow Patriot brake
Old 03-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdinatl View Post

If you buy any other system besides TST, I have to ask why? If enough people told me that the quality and service were the best, over and over again, I think that should be convincing enough. All I can say is you won't regret it. Give Debbie at TST a call at 770-889-9102. These are the friendliest most helpful people you'll ever deal with.
Here are my thoughts on your post and why I don't need to buy a TST TPMS.

I purchased the Doran TPMS back in 2010. In the two years I had the TPMS I had multiple sensor problems which cost me two trailer tires in Calgary AB Canada on a trip up to Alaska plus LOTS of other headaches while using the POC.

Later that same trip I had 5 out of 10 sensors not reporting any information so that was the last straw. I dumped it on eBay and purchased a 10 Wheel Tire SafeGuard TPMS system. It has worked flawlessly from day one without any hassles or difficulties. So far it has alerted me to a slow leak in one trailer tire allowing me to get off of the freeway in plenty of time to get parked and call Coach-Net for them to install the spare.

Batteries are very easy to change out which I do every 2-3 years regardless of whether they need it or not. Batteries are $7-$8 for a set of 10.

I trust the Tire SafeGuard enough that I have one on my motorcycle and another one on my wife's Saturn SW-2. The one in the coach gets placed in my Saturn Vue once we are parked for a spell.

I see no reason to dump my perfectly good TPMS just to purchase a highly over-rated TST TPMS.

Frankly, I believe every TPMS will have GOOD reviews and BAD reviews from people regardless of who makes them or whether they are knock-offs or what they are called.

The important point is that you HAVE one and USE IT plus you can TRUST the information that it is giving you while driving.

Make a decision on which brand, purchase and install it. If it doesn't perform to your expectations then dump it and try another one until you find one that you can trust and works for YOU.

Out of all of the different brands of TPMS's available today and after reading all of the comments, problems and various posts on the many forums throughout the Internet, I believe the top three brands in alphabetical order are Pressure Pro, Tire SafeGuard and TST. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three.

BTW, this topic is probably THE most discussed topic right along with tires on RV forums. And the same information is posted over and over and over again. Will it ever stop? Probably not!

Dr4Film ---- Richard