Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2005, 10:46 AM   #15

I'm testing from where the harness enters the front of the "firewall" for lack of a better term, inside the storage area under the living room, well after the splice box as you call it, to the hole in the aluminum behind the light assy. I guess what I'll have to do is drill a hole to get the wire out under the trailer, and then find a way to fish it up through the rear wall. What a pain that will be !

Agnem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2005, 11:25 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes it is, but you can say you did it right yourself, an it didn't cost you an arm & leg. --"007"

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 03:52 AM   #17

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I stopped in at Mellot Brothers (an RV dealer in Willow Street PA) and talked to one of their techs. He said "Yes, Fleetwood does bury their wiring in the floor, and it's pretty common to have problems in there. We just run a wire around it." So, with that fact confirmed, that's what I did. For the benefit of anyone else with this problem, here is how I did it. I began in the power cord compartment. I set a spool of 14 ga. red wire in there, and using an aluminum fish, I fed the wire into the channel which runs on the utility side of the coach to carry a water pipe. This brought the wire out under my bathroom sink. From there, I followed more water pipes into the hot water heater area, then around the hot water heater, into the next compartment which is a pantry closet. Then I followed the kitched sink drain pipe, until this brought me out under the kitchen sink. I then removed the bottom drawer of the kitchen sink cabnet, and fed it around the partition which seperates the propane tanks from the interior space. This brought me right up to the wall which defines the seperation between the living room and kitchen. Since this is a forward living room type camper, I knew that my destination was right on the other side of this wall, but so were the steel frame, jack towers, and the battery compartment. I drilled a 1/4" hole as close to the corner of the wall, the floor, and the propane partition, into the forward wall and crossed my fingers. I then went outside and found that my hole had come into the utility space in a perfect location. In fact the ONLY location, for had I been more than a 1/4" to the left or the right, I would have come out into a jack tower, or the battery box. I was then able to slip my wire between these obstacles, and convienently route the wire to the point where I could attach it to the original harness in an accessible location. I then returned to the power cord compartment, and drilled a 1/2" hole in the interior wall, near the top of the compartment, and directly in line with the left turn signal lamp. I was then only about 8" away from the hole for the original wiring, and I was able to fish the wire up to the original hole, and out to the light. I have NO IDEA what I would have done if this had been the right turn signal, as that one would be much more difficult to access. So my problem is over, but I have to say that I hope Fleetwood stopped or will stop this practice of burying the wiring, as it really creates a very bad maintanance situation, not to mention the possibility of fire due to the inability to inspect the wiring. I realize your always going to need wires in the walls, but putting it in the floor, where one could just as easily put it in a conduit underneath, sure would make the ownership experience better. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Agnem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:38 AM   #18

Great job Agnem, and I really appreciated your detailed description of how you fixed it, that is what this forum is all about, helping each other, you probably saved $200-300 on the repair, I am grateful because owning a Fleetwood I knew from looking that to get to any broken or chewed through wire will be a chore so now I have a plan of action for the future.Remember what Grandpa used to say " winners never quit and quitters never win" looks to me like you won..

2004 2500HD D/A
sweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 07:50 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Agnem, Great job The Mfg will always think of the lease cost for them, a dealer would be still at it, with all the money you saved have yourself a cool one. ---"007"

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote