Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2005, 06:02 AM   #1

Hi all. I've recently lost functionality of the left turn signal on my 1993 Wilderness 29.5. I've verified I have voltage up to the point that the wiring harness disappears into a bulkhead, and beyond that I haven't been able to figure out where the wires go. Does anybody know how to access the wiring harness once it has disappeared into the bulkhead? If it runs under the floor, then it must be covered by those plastic sheets underneath, which I can't see how to remove. If it runs inside, I have no idea where. Short of running a new wire to work around the problem, I'm at a loss on this. Ideas?

Agnem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2005, 06:02 AM   #2

Hi all. I've recently lost functionality of the left turn signal on my 1993 Wilderness 29.5. I've verified I have voltage up to the point that the wiring harness disappears into a bulkhead, and beyond that I haven't been able to figure out where the wires go. Does anybody know how to access the wiring harness once it has disappeared into the bulkhead? If it runs under the floor, then it must be covered by those plastic sheets underneath, which I can't see how to remove. If it runs inside, I have no idea where. Short of running a new wire to work around the problem, I'm at a loss on this. Ideas?

Old 04-08-2005, 07:27 PM   #3

Most if not all wiring will run in the channels on the frame, I had lost my lighting at one time a while ago... Small Furry Rodent chewed through the entire bundle.... Shorted out the Brake wires... Melted the Circuit Breaker...and the Emergency Pull out pin Box.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 06:38 AM   #4

Welcome to the site, Mel!
I knew you would get here eventually!

Wiring on the rigs can be tricky. Try to verify the grounds and then see if splicing a wire and fishing it through the bulkhead will resolve the issue.
Chet
Old 04-10-2005, 09:38 AM   #5

Agnem, I had that problem with a 30ft Wilderness 5th wheel, before you start tearing walls out take the tailight covers off and see if there is corrosion in either side where the tailight wires come in and are press fitted under the brass contacts on the back side of where the bulb snaps in, you will see that the left side the power and grounds come in and go out to the right side, this will alow one to work and maybe not the other, The solution once I found it in mine was to by a set of quality tailights that are hard wired inside. (about 35.00) a set. hope this helps

2004 2500HD D/A
sweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 05:54 AM   #6

Chet! You old dog! I see your a moderator here. Oooooowww! Thanks for the advice, but I'm afraid the cables are bundled, making pulling one through quite impossible. Sweibel sounds like he knows what I'm talking about. I'm a little concerned about the "before you go tearing out walls" comment. Is that were they put the wiring? I can't seem to get a streight answer from Fleetwood. They have sent me a few faxes, but none of them show the routing of the wiring. I did look under the tailight lens, and saw that goofy way the wires are press fit in there. I suppose I could demount the whole assembly and see if I can learn anything that way. I made the mistake of trying to take out an interior 110V outlet that seemed like it was right behind the tailight, but once I got it out, I couldn't see didly. I did manage to loose one of those little plastic retainers on the outlet though. Anybody know where I can get those?

Old 04-13-2005, 01:26 PM   #7

Agnem, Is your trailer a TT or 5 th wh? Mine is a fiver and the wiring did not run in the frame channel, it ran from up under the front overhang and then disapeared into a grommet in the front wall of the trailer, I looked under the cabinets on the left side and under the fridge and could see no harness,thats when I decided to go to the tailights and start to check voltage there,luckily I found my problem righ then. Sorry I couldn't be of help, I to tried Fleetwood and the said the have now diagrams as most trailers differ from trailer to trailer and model to model, the most they will give you is the very basic description in the Owners Book.

2004 2500HD D/A
Old 04-14-2005, 03:21 AM   #8

Sam, Yes we have a 5th wheel, and yes, the wires go exactly as you stated. It seems that they are buried in the floor and walls from where they disappear into the hole (you have a grommet, I have a bare wood hole, which may account for the wires having broken their once) until they emerge at their point of usage. Not a good design considering the potential for rodent problems etc. I'll dismount the light assembly and see if I get lucky like you did. Thanks!

Old 04-26-2005, 05:59 AM   #9

Well I took the left rear light off, and found that there is a wire (green one) that goes over to the right tail light, but the green and red (left turn) wire emerge there from some unknown origin. I'm beginning to loose hope that I will be able to fix this. I might have to have a wire brought around on the outside to overcome this problem. Sure wish they had not buried the electricals.

Old 04-27-2005, 06:59 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Agnem Welcome to irv2 If your 5th wheel has metal siding it is used for the return gnd for your light ckt, a screw holding your light housing will make this connection. You say your right light works, run a temp gnd wire to left light, clean light bulb metal mounting socket with emery cloth or good elect cleaner. Swap your right light bulb with left to check out bulbs. Use a elect meter check for 12 volts with parking lights on, than with left light flashing. This should not be a major problem, we will just keep working at it, let us know how you are making out. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:35 AM   #11

Don't lose hope Agmen, Try like 007 suggested and run a temporary wire from a known good ground to the left tailight assembly, 90% of light problems turn out to be a ground is broken somewhere. If that doesn't work then take and run a temporary power wire from a know source and see it it will light up the bulb on the turn side. this will elimate the light assmbly and then you can decide to run a long jumper or not. Sam.

2004 2500HD D/A
Old 04-27-2005, 08:53 AM   #12

I checked the grounds two days ago. That's not it either. There is no continuity from the red turn signal wire to the spot where the red wire comes out in the front, so it's in the middle somewhere. I think I'm hosed.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:03 AM   #13

Sam, thanks for the encouragement. If the turn signal and running light share the same ground, and the running light works, I think you would have to agree it's not the ground. Still, I know how weird stuff can happen, so just to humour everybody, I'll rig up a jumper to ensure I have a good ground. My problem is getting the left turn signal voltage back to the bulb, and hoping to find somebody who's torn one of these trailers apart and knows exactly where the wire is run.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:37 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes I would have to agree, are you testing continuity from your plug to truck or from a splice box were cord enters into 5th wheel?
If the red wire is open between light an wire connection just plan on how you can run under chassis of 5th, tying to frame on chassis, or maybe thru cabinets inside coach or compartments in the 5th. The wire can be fished with steel fish to light location.---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote