Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #1

TV reception

We were wondering what is the best device to use for TV reception when we're out in the middle of The boonies with a satellite be good and special antenna Internet service or something else it would be better thank you. Chip & Bobbie.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
In the boonies, I have not had much luck with Verizon for Internet service. In the boonies there will likely be no local OTA TV reception, either. In both circumstances, satellite is really your only option. In our case, we decided against the cost of satellite Internet and just enjoy the P&Q (Peace and Quiet). \ken

Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip & Bobbie View Post
We were wondering what is the best device to use for TV reception when we're out in the middle of The boonies with a satellite be good and special antenna Internet service or something else it would be better thank you. Chip & Bobbie.
Chip & Bobbie
I don't exactly know what you are asking??

I use a roof mounted King Dome and a DirecTV receiver for satillite TV reception whenever I have a clear view to the southern sky, (whether boondocking, overnighting at a Walmart, rest area, or truck stop.. or staying in an RV park or campground).
BTW, if/when OTA signals are available I also use my roof top "batwing" antenna.

However, (as always), "BEST is in the eye if the BEERHOLDER"!

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will cover 4 different ways to watch the tube when you are out and about:

Park Cable: if the park offers it, alas, many do not.. Where I am now,, GOT IT.

Satellite: Most parks this option works.. Costly though as though they yammer about 20/month, DO NOT BELIEVE IT they will find a way to nail you for at least sixty, if not 90.

Internet: IF YOU Bring your own bandwidth this will rapidly chew it up and run you into the land of CHA-CHING. Streaming HD can cost you a gig an hour more or less.. And most parks others are already eating up way too much of the bandwidth to make that work on the park Wi-Fi (if offered) .

OTA broadcast Antenna...
Biggest advantage: FREE and I mean FREE (after initial purchase)
Biggest disadvantage: RV parks tend to be a long way from the tower a long way for VHF and UHF radio signals. (And no matter what you think Television is Radio or rather a sub set of Radio)

Now there are many antennas.. OMNI antennas like the winegard Roadstar.. Have very poor long distance performance and likely will not make you happy

The JACK is a very good medium range job. Directional but fairly wide beamed.

The Winegard Sensar IV (or upgraded II or III) are decent long range antennas, Fairly tight beam add the Sensar Pro multi function module and you can hit 60-70 miles without too much problem.. in fact I will in just a few hours.. However even one "Click" of the direction knob and I will loose the signal its that tight.

Plus... Some parks even with the best OTA antenna you are not going to get much.

So the best option is satellite.

NOW: Dish or Direct, Dome or "Dish type" antenna?

DirecTV uses one sat (101W) for most customers, so it will work with both portable domes and roof mounted "in-moting" If the LNB is a "DUAL" (means dual output) it can work with multiple receivers or a DVR.

DirecHDTV will not work with a dome

DISHnetwork.. ONE receiver will work with a dome. However if you have multiple receivers or a DVR.. Dish scatters programming over or 2 or 3 satellites and a dome can only see one at a time.. IF you and your "Other" want to watch different shows on the same Bird no problem, Different birds BIG problem.

Now Dish type antennas: There are several different dish type antennas YOu get the one that matches your service, Be it roof top automatic, manual or ground mount, You get the one that matches your service, and it works. Period. No problems.

Roof top or "portable" IF you go roof top you want to have a portable in reserve.. WHY.. Well, where I am now a roof top works great... No problem

But....... Where I would rather be the evil signal eating tree gets in teh way of the dome on the roof.. So you use a ground mount and watch on.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:57 PM   #5

Dvd and Blu Ray almost never lose signal.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:42 AM   #6

Or, you could set up a video camera on a tripod, plug it in to your TV input and make your own live productions.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One option I have is "Front DVR, Input AV-2" this is a camera on the front of the RV.. Some days.. Best show on TV.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #8

Hey information most helpful thank you