Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2001, 12:43 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
In-laws showed up now I get to be the "fixer guy"
They had a new antenna booster installed and their reception is no better. I checked the coax and there seems to be a ground problem. When the center conductor is inserted all the way to the knob that threads onto the booster the reception gets worse, also with the booster ON it is worse. The lead comes in and goes down to a splitter, then back to the booster, out of the booster to two wall outlets, one in the bedroom the other in the living room. So, why does the signal get worse when the nut is screwed on to the booster and why is it better with the booster off and not inserted all the way????? Help before the in-laws move in with me!!!!

Ordering a 01' F350 CC PSD SRW SB 373 LSD 'Loaded' currently have--2000 EXCEL Limited 30' 5vr Loaded V10 Dodge is 4 sale
Excel Home Site Our Excel

[This message was edited by MRBV10 on January 04, 2001 at 07:45 PM.]
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2001, 12:43 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
In-laws showed up now I get to be the "fixer guy"
They had a new antenna booster installed and their reception is no better. I checked the coax and there seems to be a ground problem. When the center conductor is inserted all the way to the knob that threads onto the booster the reception gets worse, also with the booster ON it is worse. The lead comes in and goes down to a splitter, then back to the booster, out of the booster to two wall outlets, one in the bedroom the other in the living room. So, why does the signal get worse when the nut is screwed on to the booster and why is it better with the booster off and not inserted all the way????? Help before the in-laws move in with me!!!!

Ordering a 01' F350 CC PSD SRW SB 373 LSD 'Loaded' currently have--2000 EXCEL Limited 30' 5vr Loaded V10 Dodge is 4 sale
Excel Home Site Our Excel

[This message was edited by MRBV10 on January 04, 2001 at 07:45 PM.]
Old 01-03-2001, 02:16 PM   #3

Your problem is probably the splitter in the line before the booster. There should be nothing between the booster and the antenna. My guess is the splitter that is between the antenna and the booster would be where the cable connection (i.e. cable TV from the campground)ties into the system. That splitter needs to be after the booster. Mine was the same way, except that the splitter was buried way up in the wall and I found it by accident. Once I moved that splitter, no more problems.

Carl & Donna about to be fulltime '98 Dodge V10 SB w/cheap 5th W
Old 01-04-2001, 02:42 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Carl, THANKS for responding to my note. Not sure yet but it acts like a mismatch between the antenna and the wall mounted transformer. The antenna is a AntennaTech (sp) brand and the replacement wall transformer was for a Winegaurd(sp) so there is a new wall transformer on the way from the dealer(warranty) should show up in the mail in a few days. Will let ya'll know how it turns out. Geezzzzeeee, didn't know something this simple could be such a problem.

Excel Home Site Our Photos
Old 01-05-2001, 07:48 PM   #5

The head on the antenae itself could be bad. It has electronics in it. If it gets hit or wet it can malfunction when the power is turned on. You can try to isolate the problem by running a temporary co-ax from antenae direct to tv or booster by-passing all existing wiring. Also check
The co-ax itself to make sure the cable is not shorted to itself.If the head is bad it could have damaged the new booster as well. Good luckallseasonsrv@msn.com
Ismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 04:00 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Finally received a new wall transformer for the "antenna tek" brand roof top antenna, the "winegaurd" is not a match and had to wait on the dealer to send the right one. Installed it late Friday afternoon and still NO clear signal. Discovered the coax from the roof top to the wall outlet is bad. Ran a new coax from the antenna thru the slide out into the new wall transformer and now have a clear signal. So, it was a two-fold problem, 1. incompatible wall transformer, the original one was proably OK. 2. BAD coax from the antenna, my guess it developed a short slowly over time as the RV traveled down the road. Maybe a nail or screw wore thru somewhere. Not sure how a new coax will be routed to make permanent fix. Looks to me the roof will have to "opened" and new cable laid in and run down the outside wall, roof sealed back up. Mother in law is NOT HAPPY, but has TV reception now !!

Old 01-13-2001, 01:21 PM   #7

MRBV10 Have you thought about attaching the new cable to the end of the old one, then pull the old one on out, dragging the new one into place behind it?? If a nail or staple was'nt used to secure the old one in place and/or theres no major kink buried behind something, its worked for me before.

As you've indicated, the old cable is gonna have to come outa there anyway, might want to go ahead and try. If it only comes part way and then is "permanately" hung up, just cut it off, and replace the wall jack cover until when everything gets torn apart to replace it finally.

Hope it works!

Rick & Carolyn
'01 34'Carri-Lite, 5ver
'01 F350 4x4 SC DRW, "Hercules"
SKP

[This message was edited by h2guy on January 13, 2001 at 06:27 PM.]

'01 34'Carri-Lite, 5ver
h2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 03:03 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Great idea, but as you suspected, it gets hung up. I'm thinking of "dynamite" -- just kidding. The final fix will be very interesting!!! Should get some ideas from the dealer Tuesday, then we will go from there.

Old 01-14-2001, 08:33 AM   #9

MRBV,

Here is what I would do before I started pulling cables...

Disconnect the coax at both ends... With a Ohmeter, check for shorts... If your showing a short, it may most likely be at the end that was just worked on (always go back to the last thing done!!) Cut off a connector and recheck to see if the short disappeared... If not cut off the other end and check again... If the short stays, it is in the cable somewhere... If the short disappears when you cut off the connector, it was a bad termination... It only takes one little strand of shield to short out the center conductor... Sometimes the shield wire can be wrapped around the base of the center conductor... This is caused by the stripping tool they use which envolves a rotary motion...

Your local Radio Shack can provide you with connectors (Type F) and the proper crimping tool at a pretty reasonable cost...

The reason the signal gets worse when you plug it in is that the entire cable is acting as an antenna until it is terminated to ground by screwing the connector on... This in itself indicates a shorted cable either at the cable ends or possibly the cable is cut or crushed somewhere along it's run...

Good Luck and Best Regards,
Les

2000 F-250 SuperDuty XLT, SWB, SuperCab, 4X4 OffRoad, V10/3:73LS/4R100
towing 1999 Skyline 27' Nomad Model 2700
2000 F-250 SuperDuty XLT, SWB (142"), SuperCab, 4X4 OffRoad, V10/3:73LS/4R100

towing 1999 Skyline 27' Nomad Model 2700
LAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 04:56 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks LES -- I'm with you on the faulty "F" connectors. I am going to "double check" them again. Hopefully it will show up as a bad connector. It didn't the first time I checked. When I checked the coax was still connected to the antenna and I got a reading back. I haven't checked it since I disconected the coax at the antenna. I assumed it was reading back thru the antenna head and that was OK. Anyway I hope to check it again this weekend ?? Again "THANKS" to ya'll for the help, I'm always open for suggestions at anytime Mar

Old 11-08-2005, 06:21 AM   #11

You guys sound like you might be able to lead me in the right direction!

In july we were in a heavy lightning storm. The TV was plugged in and working during the late afternoon. The next morning went to turn on the TV - nothing (no hum or buzz or anything)
Took the TV home - plugged it in - nothing.
Purchased a new TV - have tried using twice - very limited reception - even in good areas and the next door trailers receiving every possible channel.
WHERE DO I BEGIN TO CHECK ? I have an antenna booster on the wall. Does the whole antenna unit need replaced on the roof or just the cable ?
I am not tech minded - any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
Joe in TX
Joe in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:15 PM   #12

I had a similar problem when we bought our used 5th wheeler. Ran a caox from antenna to rear of amp. then out to tv, had good signal. My antenna is a winegard bat wing type. I remembered the pervious owner said they had the antenna removed to fix a leak. Took the crank assemby loose from inside trailer and found a splice in the coax just below the antenna. Redid the splice and all was better.

Dealing with tv and sat coaxs for year, I have found the the first thing to do is replace all the connections fisrt, this fixs most problems.

Eastern Kansas
Steve & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:33 AM   #13

Your problem may not even be a problem. Most rv antenna'a has a built in booster. If so, you will have a wall plate with an amp or part of one behind it. I would start with taking the wall plate off and looking. You very well may see a small board on the back. Usually in this case there will be a cable screwed to that. Simply unscrew that cable and work from there.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote