Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
tv watching

Hi we are about to start on the road, east coast of canada.We are newly fulltimers.We would like to know what we can do about tv.We do not have a sat. yet and woundering if this is the way to go.We do have digital antenna
Hoping to get choices in viewing along the way.Whats thr best,how much can we expect to pay and where should we buy from

mdunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
For over the air programming any antenna is "digital". Needing a special antenna is advertising only.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
Not sure about Canada,,, but here in Arkansas this one is amazing !!! Clear as a bell, many channels,, I was totally shocked being a 'cable' person... And No we don't live in a big city... Even worked great out at the lake with hills all around.....
ClearStream 1 Convertible HDTV Antenna - Walmart.com
Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
Oops,,, sorry, I see you already have a digital antenna.... Then just make your tv search available channels where ever you are.....
Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:29 AM   #5
Satellite is no guarantee as you may not have a clear (treeless) shot at the satellites. Your built in digital antenna can serve you well in some places and not so much in others. Be sure to turn on the antenna amplifier usually located at your bedroom antenna connection. There is an app called Antenna Helper that can tell you which direction to face your antenna from each location. Then you have to run the channel scan on your TV setup.
2015 F350 XLT PSD CCSB SRW, Andersen Ultimate hitch
'12 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde Pinbox
1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Over the air television varies.. Where I am now with a simple batwing.. NOTHING

Add a wingman and the Senser Pro I get about 5 carriers and 15 channels (3 per carrier)

Many campgrounds provide cable..Some charge, Some do not,,Many also do NOT provide cable..

Where I am now one of the stations which is common to both Antenna and cable comes in better over the air most of the time.. and another over cable most of the time.My "Hardware" has the ability to record shows off both cable and antenna..and automatically selece (based on the channel number) The source.

My TV's..I can do it as well but manual selection is needed.

Kind of fun..You know those "only our service lets you do all that" add....Wrong.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
I just went through this process myself. We have always been more than satisfied carrying some DVDs with us or getting whatever over the air channels we could with our roof digital antenna. However we are also about to take off on a 4 month trip and realize we probably won't be having campfires every night and may want some more options for the evenings.

I ended up going with a DISH setup. I got the Wingard Pathway X2 with an HD receiver. I haven't even turned it on for the first time yet. I previously had DirecTv at home but I specifically wanted HD and a portable carry out satellite which meant going to DISH. Since I didn't want 2 different providers, I switched my home to DISH as well.

It will take some getting used to but so far we are pleased with DISH and look forward to having the option for satellite TV on the road.

Good luck with your decision.

Paul "Poppy" Cervone
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2007 Classic Chevy 2500HD Dmax/Allison, CC, 4X4
P5W is offline   Reply With Quote