Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #1

Ugh, Wrong turns

I made a wong turn yesterday as I took the took the trailer to storage. I missed the turn to storage and drove 1/4 mile down the country road and saw another road off to the left. I figured my next road might be 5 or 10 miles so I turned left. Now I was on a smaller country road...ugh, right!! But as luck would have it there was a farmers lane that went into his field. Also not much traffic on this road either.

I was able to back up onto this tractor road and get turned around...whew, I thought...that was lucky.

Also lucky in Ohio there are farm fields and not forests.

What was your worst wrong turn?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I was in Louisiana and came to a Y in the road, took the right one. I went over a mile half and came over this hill, there was a sign that said road ends. It did I could see it did end and fast. So we got stopped trees on both sides, 38 feet of rv. So I backed up most of the mile and a half, because I did see a company with semi close to where we turned off.

There has been other times, but we make it.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #3

Ok Tuesday listing to GPS took a wrong turn in deep east texas luckily a gas well no my trailer is small even harder to back got turned around no more GPS out here in the piney woods
Old 11-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just two days ago I turned too soon coming off 240 in Memphis ended up on another interstate heading away from Graceland. Took the first off ramp thinking I could just cross over and get back on the interstate. No on ramp heading back made a right turn under the advise of GPS then another right it took me a short ways past a lot of OLD run down trailers on the left and garbage on the right. it wanted me to turn left onto a road, but my better judgement stopped me. I could see ahead a sign saying dead end but could also see a place away from these "houses" to unhook and turn around. There was a cul-desac I didn't think I could get turned around as there was a fence around and old department of transportation building. I was not looking forward to getting out and unhooking toad in this part of the city. By the grace of God, I was able to get turned around with running over too much debris and staying out of most of the mud holes. After talking to one of the locals I am glad nothing took place!
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #5

Picking up the other half at the Tampa Fl. airport, WITH GPS in hand, not once, but TWICE turned onto the wrong exit within just a couple miles of the airport -AND- had been there just 2 weeks before dropping her off!

This kind of thing totally out of character for me, was just having a bad day? It happens.... -Al
Old 11-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #6

I know the sinking feeling, you are headed down a road to an unfamiliar campground dragging your fifth wheel. The GPS is counting down aloud, "in 500 yards ahead on your left is your destination". Nope, no sign hanging out, no entrance way in sight, and just about then you see it, but you have gone past it and can't stop in time. You continue on, GPS squawking about making a u-turn and recalculating. The road narrows, you are approaching the dead end of the road to nowhere. You are in a near panic, no place to turn around, and you are by yourself with no spotter to help you out. Sweating profusely by now, you look ahead and there is an old fish market with a parking lot big enough to make a circle and you can just make it. You creep back up the road about 10 mph and you make the turn into the campground. The guy in the office ask if you had any trouble finding the place. You tell him no.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
I know the sinking feeling, you are headed down a road to an unfamiliar campground dragging your fifth wheel. The GPS is counting down aloud, "in 500 yards ahead on your left is your destination". Nope, no sign hanging out, no entrance way in sight, and just about then you see it, but you have gone past it and can't stop in time. You continue on, GPS squawking about making a u-turn and recalculating. The road narrows, you are approaching the dead end of the road to nowhere. You are in a near panic, no place to turn around, and you are by yourself with no spotter to help you out. Sweating profusely by now, you look ahead and there is an old fish market with a parking lot big enough to make a circle and you can just make it. You creep back up the road about 10 mph and you make the turn into the campground. The guy in the office ask if you had any trouble finding the place. You tell him no.
Nah piece of cake... that was funny good laugh in the am..
Old 11-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Going down the interstate into Kansas City, KS from the north, hurrying in the pouring rain with rush hour traffic, the campground staff is waiting past its time to close, the Garmin tells us to get off because of traffic delays. With no time for the DH to look it up, I take the exit.
It takes us through a residential area and through four (count them, four) residential rotaries, which the MH and toad barely made it (remember it is pouring rain, and now getting dark), and finally back onto the interstate. As I looked behind me to merge, I saw a line of flashing fire trucks behind me completely closing off the interstate. The Garmin had taken me around the stopped traffic! God bless the Garmin! Now e supplement it with Waze on the ipad. (Try it, it is free and uses our input as information.)
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #9

The day I picked it up........ My son and I went to the dealer which is 4 hours away to "look" at this trailer, we had the deal negotiated but not finalized until I looked at it in person, my wife could not go along so the plan was "if" we buy it we would find a campground on the Texas-Oklahoma border, an hour from home, and stay the night and she would drive up to meet us. The trailer was everything we expected so sign on the bottom line and we're off, make reservations at the campground, plug the address into my iPhone GPS and head that way. I pulled off one exit before the campground to fill up, the GPS showed that I could get to the campground from that exit by going in a back way so I follow it, my wife called and I did not know where to turn and by the time I got her off the phone I had passed the turn, so the GPS says go 3 miles and loop back, single wide country roads so not exactly a lot of opportunities to turn around. Turn right at the 3 mile mark, which is now gravel farm roads and follow the route, when we arrive at the "destination" it is a pasture, no sign of a campground, so I keep following the map that shows the highway ahead, this gravel road winds and winds and takes us on a country gravel and chip seal road adventure, by this time there are 3 cars behind me, I come over a hill, cross a one lane bridge and see this tunnel, pull over as far as I can and stop, the 3 cars behind me stop, I get out and wave them around and get that "you ain't from round here boy stares" from all of them. My wife is at the campground and calling wondering where we are, I tell her my dilemma and tell my son to grab the tape measure to get her riled up a bit, lol, she's freaking out thinking that the trailer she hasn't seen yet will arrive without a roof or something, luckily I had noticed an abandoned house right after that one lane bridge and walk back to see about the access to swing this rig around, it's doable, so I hone my backing skills, swing it in the driveway and begin to retrace my route, I go back the way I came and back out to the highway to take the correct way into the campground, I had rest my trip odometer when I filled up so I checked it, 33 miles of country road 5th wheel maneuvering, the campground was about a mile from the gas station, one exit down, cross the highway on the right, wife was sitting out front waiting, we pull up, I told her sorry it's so dirty.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-57474081.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	504.9 KB
ID:	49496   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-566074427.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	49497  

Old 11-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #10

'That sinking feeling' - I do know how it feels.

Wow - that is a small low underpass. I have not been in that bad of a situation yet. Keyword 'yet'. I have not had to back up 1/2 mile to a mile either...at least not yet. I have only made 3 wrong turns in 6 years.

1. Took a wrong exit and had to travel 10 miles to the next exit to get moving the right direction. 20 miles to get back to where I should have been in the 1st place.

2. Pulling into a RV Park for the 1st time garmin tells me to turn left. I see the road and turn. That road is blocked with a high chain link fence. I see the real entrance 100 yards further down the road. I had to back out 50 yards onto a semi busy roadway by myself. Missed backing into a stop sign by 2 feet but I kinda saw it. Ugh - kinda.

3. As described above. As it turned out was minor. But I did not know it was minor when it started.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #11

Followed road signs to go to Indian Caverns in Pennsylvania from the north and turned onto county road. A few miles down the road a small sign says- 8' tunnel ahead! Can't see tunnel around curves. Found a small farm driveway that I could back into (after a couple of cars went by) and turned around. Dropped that trip that day and went in from the south a few days later.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:03 AM   #12

Cliffy - I know that area. Yikes, those curvey mountainous roads are not a place to have to turn your rig around. The mountains in Pa. go from northeast to southwest. There is no way to go east and west w/o crossing the mountains. Same as going north/south. You will always be changing elevation 300 to 1000 feet.

Those windy country Pa. roads...ugh.

Ever tow up and over Tussey Mountain?
Old 11-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #13

Last Sunday I was on my way here I Cotondale east of Tuscaloosa AL. The GPS took me to a curvy road and really got into steep hills. Done 15degree before with the 5er but these were worst and no turning back.

Stop on top of the last one and looked down. It was the last and the good road teeded to the left at the bottom. It realty looked dangerously steep.

Locked my front hubs and with gear already in low range I proceeded slowly down the hill. My plan was to save the brakes in case I would need it. It was the worst I ever faced and hopped the 5th hitch held. Also was worried about the transfer case.

Drove it down holding the trailer brakes and not touching the truck brakes. It went well and at the bottom I was safe on a better road.

Proceeded to my destination only to find that I also had to climb the drive in a narrow road with trees on both side and an angled curve on gravel.

While on low range 4 x 4 with no room to spare I just made it.

While volonteering we usually get in tough situations but this one was definitely my worst one.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #14

No never did Tussey Mt. My least favorite area is anything in West Virginia For some reason I just don't like going anywhere through that state Just me I guess