Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 91
UH OH

Looks like a made a classic newbie mistake today. When I parked my truck with the fiver attached, I didn't realize that because the truck was on the paved driveway and the fifth wheel on the grass there would be a difference in the height between the king pin and hitch. When I disengaged from the fiver the king pin dropped several inches below the receiver on the itch. Soooooo, Will the kingpin tripod stabilizer be strong enough to hold up the front end so I can raise the unit up with the electric jack or do I need use a floor jack and some blocks to raise it? If both the truck and unit are on level ground the next time I disengage, will I have a similar problem or do I need to put blocks under the landing gear before I disengage?

Neverhome
__________________

__________________
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverhome View Post
Looks like a made a classic newbie mistake today. When I parked my truck with the fiver attached, I didn't realize that because the truck was on the paved driveway and the fifth wheel on the grass there would be a difference in the height between the king pin and hitch. When I disengaged from the fiver the king pin dropped several inches below the receiver on the itch. Soooooo, Will the kingpin tripod stabilizer be strong enough to hold up the front end so I can raise the unit up with the electric jack or do I need use a floor jack and some blocks to raise it? If both the truck and unit are on level ground the next time I disengage, will I have a similar problem or do I need to put blocks under the landing gear before I disengage?
Neverhome
Neverhome
Use the blocks!
__________________

__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Spicewood, Tx
Posts: 573
As soon as it happened, you should have used the landing gear motor or hand crank to raised the fiver and re-hitch to the truck. Then retract the landing gear and put boards under the landing gear before again disconnecting. Anytime you are on soft ground you should use boards to distribute the weight and prevent settling. Tripods are stabilizers and not lifting devices. If necessary for your present problem, use a bottle jack and boards next to each landing gear leg to raise the fiver for re-hitching.

Another common mistake is the opposite of yours, not being able to raise the fiver high enough to re-hitch. Therefore, always extend the landing gear several inches before releasing the legs and proceeding with un-hitching. Then if the fiver should settle or the truck sit higher when hooking up, you will still have sufficient travel to raise the fiver high enough.
__________________
Larry Day, Texas Baptist Men volunteer
'13 Silverado LT 3500HD D/A CCSB 2wd, custom RKI bed
'17 Puma 351THSS toyhauler
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,164
When ever you unhook the 5er you should put blocks under the landing gear and raise the landing gear until the 5er hitch slightly lifts off of the hitch plate.

This will take a bunch of stress off of the truck and prevent it from bouncing up and possibly having the box rail touch the underside of the trailer.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:21 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
As soon as it happened, you should have used the landing gear motor or hand crank to raised the fiver and re-hitch to the truck. Then retract the landing gear and put boards under the landing gear before again disconnecting. Anytime you are on soft ground you should use boards to distribute the weight and prevent settling. Tripods are stabilizers and not lifting devices. If necessary for your present problem, use a bottle jack and boards next to each landing gear leg to raise the fiver for re-hitching.

Another common mistake is the opposite of yours, not being able to raise the fiver high enough to re-hitch. Therefore, always extend the landing gear several inches before releasing the legs and proceeding with un-hitching. Then if the fiver should settle or the truck sit higher when hooking up, you will still have sufficient travel to raise the fiver high enough.
I take it from your advice that all I have to do is use the power to lift the fiver. Thank you . It makes sense. I was afraid I would need to jack it up manually. My first time with a vehicle this big and as much as I hate to admit it I panicked that I had screwed up big time.

Thanks again.

Neverhome
__________________
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
When ever you unhook the 5er you should put blocks under the landing gear and raise the landing gear until the 5er hitch slightly lifts off of the hitch plate.

This will take a bunch of stress off of the truck and prevent it from bouncing up and possibly having the box rail touch the underside of the trailer.
Thank you. Your help is much appreciated.

Neverhome
__________________
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:10 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Kro1957's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mitchell South Dakota
Posts: 1,142
Blog Entries: 2
you might want to make a check list...

You mentioned that you are new to this.
Not sure what your RV or 5vr experience is but if you are truly new at this you might want to take the time and make a couple check lists.
One for pre-departure and one for arrival. It is easy to forget something unless you have done it a lot. Also if you have a companion make sure they are involved in every aspect of your RV not only as a helper but in case something ever happened to you they can step in.
__________________
06 King of the Road 37RLQS
06 Coachman Cross Country 5.9L 300HP 382 DS
03 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L James, Trina, SMSgt, USAF Ret
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:45 AM   #8
paz
Senior Member
 
paz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Full-timers - Home is where we park it.
Posts: 4,716
I always put blocks under the front landing gear, even if the ground looks level. I then raise the front of the 5er until the rear springs of the truck come up to a near normal height (but don't raise it too far). If the jacks still don't have enough extension, I raise them and add more blocks.
__________________
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
Senior Dude
 
Dogpatch's Avatar


 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere, BC.
Posts: 5,584
Blog Entries: 8
Just so you don't feel like the only one who does something to slap your forehead for.

I hitched up my 5th wheel and heard the lock clunk into place. Pulled ahead a little to check and......

I broke the "Cardinal Rule" of hooking up. I didn't get out of the truck and confirm the lock on my hitch had locked into place by looking from the back of the hitch.
The fifth wheel pin slipped out of my hitch and dropped onto my truck box.
Thankfully, the hitch pin landed on the rails of my Pullrite hitch and took the weight. The nose of the 5er just rested gently on the box rails.
I put my landing gear back down, raised the 5er and hitched up again.
Only a small scratch in the plastic of my box liner on the top rail. PHEW!

Most of the damage was to my ego! LOL
__________________
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:13 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 222
Like a few others have said, I always but blocks under my front jacks and raise the trailer up until I can see light between the hitch and the trailer to take the weight off the truck so it won't pop up and hit the trailer. This prevents damage to the rails of your truck. After I pull the truck forward I then use the jacks to level the trailer front to back. Only then do I use the rear stabilizers. Do not lower the rear stabilizers until you have leveled front to rear with the front jacks or you may damage the rear stabilizers. Don't ask me how I know this
__________________
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 91
Thanks again to all. I am not new to RVs, just to a fifth wheel. Nice to know I am not the only one slapping his forehead. I was able to use the front jacks to lift it up and level it. I re hooked, raised it up higher to give it room to settle and blocked it. All set now and closed for the winter. Just spent the last week pouring over the manuals of the unit and everything in it. Counting the days to spring for my next knucklehead move.


Neverhome


Neverhome.
__________________

__________________
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.