Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
Question Ultra-Fab Trailair v. MOR/ryde 5th Wheel King Pin Box

So I really wanted a Reese Airborne Sidewinder king pin box, but I recently discovered that it wouldn't fit my king pin box :( I've got the Fabex 730 & my service technician & Reese have both confirmed that the Airborne will not go on my 5th wheel. Now I'm looking at the Ultra-Fab Trailair Air Ride 5th Wheel King Pin & the Cushioned MOR/ryde Fifth Wheel King Pin Does anyone have any direct experience with either or both of these devices? Any stories, advice, etc would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :

7.3diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
My 5th came with the Trail-Air. The wife hated the jerky chucking when we went from the West Coast to Indiana, so I had Mor-Ryde replace it with their product. She is a lot happier now. The Mor-Ryde has since been to Alaska 3 times and she never complains about the ride.

Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
I had a Mor-Ryde on my 08 Jayco Designer and it made for a really nice ride. Took most of the jerk out. I can't compare to the Air Ride because I haven't used it, but we were totally satisfied with the Mor-Ryde.
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024
Pulling my 2012 Malibu w/Blue OX & Patriot brake unit
HicksRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
Great to know all the positive stuff on MOR/ryde, especially since they're cheaper! I think I'll go with it.
Thanks everyone
Old 09-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
I Have found the Trail Air to be very jerky as well. It almost feels to me that the air cushion allows for too much for and aft movement under acceleration and hard braking. I now have a Mor/Ryde on the new coach and the ride is much better. No where near the same amount of movement.
fitter48093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
I hate to mention "more money" - BUT - - a good full motion air hitch will give you the best of both worlds. A four bag hitch like Air Safe will not only cushion the up and down movement but will cushion fore/aft and side play issues. This then reduces chucking (fore/aft) and the up/down movement that bounces the truck and trailer up and down. This dramatically reduces the strain on the kingpin framing. We put on the MorRyde kingpin and were very impressed with the improved ride, but not totally satisfied. A failure of my kingpin framing (and $3000 later - - thankfully paid for by Carriage) sealed my mindset of adding the air cushioned hitch. The improvement was very noticeable. If you are investing, consider going all the way on something that will stay with your truck when/if you trade fivers.

2003 Dodge HO 6 speed Laramie Dually, Jordan controller, RDS fuel tank, Air Ride 25K hitch
Carriage 36' fiver, Onan 6500, Prosine 2K inverter, 3 slides, MORyde IS and Kingpin
FiverBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:26 AM   #7
I have had several Mor/Ryde pin boxes. They have worked well for me.I cannot speak to Trail air or an air hitch.
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
All great advice. I'll take everyone's experience into consideration. Thanks for all who contributed

5th wheel