Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2014, 02:38 AM   #1

Underside cardboard plastic replacement?

Anyone had issues with this stuff? Had a chunk blow off in wind. Should I just patch the part that came off? Or do the whole bottom in one piece? How would u seal seam? Doesn't look very securely fastened in the first place and with this piece that came off in the front I can see holding tanks and the floor joists and such. It looks nice and clean but I could see it being very dirty if not covered, don't know if it really matters or not. Any thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #2

You can buy 4 x 8 ft sheets of it at any plastic supply house, just ask for Coroplast. They will probably have white in stock since it is used for outdoor signs. 4mm is the common thickness, but I used 8mm for greater rigidity.

For the seams, use aluminum 'H' trim (used for plywood joints) from HD or Lowes plus a few screws thru the trim and Coroplast so the wind doesn't pull it loose.

dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:56 PM   #3

Ok thanks. I think it's all one piece so I didn't know if splice or total replacement would be best. It didn't rip off straight, Lol!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #4

I had to replace a section. I went to an RV parts place and you can get it 5 or 6 feet wide (so it fits across the frame rails) in however long you want. It is sold by the foot. You can buy a special tape for the joint, but the 3M metallic tape for furnace ducts works as well and costs less. When I reattached the stuff I used more screws and a larger shoulder washer to hold it in place. 4000 miles since my repair and everything is holding up well.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #5

How much time has passed? How long will that tape stick for do you know?
Old 09-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
How much time has passed? How long will that tape stick for do you know?
I really can't say how long it might last. It is metallic and quite sticky. I made sure to clean where I applied the tape so there was no oiliness there. In the time/distance since I made the fix we have driven through rain several times and I can see no evidence of the tape failing yet.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #7

That metal furnace tape is very good and I would put it around the leading edges. Get a larger piece of the plastic material ( campaign signs) to patch the hole. Get spray 3M 77 contact cement. Spray both surfaces, let it get tacky. Apply patch. After first contact it will not move, get it right.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #8

3m 90 is even better

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
Old 09-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #9

I used gorilla tape to repair mine been two years without an issue.

GASMAN6674 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement