Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #15

Wingnut, it was the first time that anyone at the alignment shop, the tire shop, and my mechanic's shop had ever heard of it, too. My mechanic said he has only seen that type of bend on 4X4s that had been doing big off-road jumps. He thinks the axle is defective, or was damaged prior to me purchasing the truck.

On a side note, I took my wife to the Chrysler dealership where we purchased this truck and three others before it. My wife and I decided that if we have to pay the whole cost for a new axle (approx $5000), we might as well trade the truck in for a 3500 diesel 4X4 (we have a 6.4 hemi 2500) and be done with it. Oddly, our salesman tried to talk us out of it. He said the DEF systems on diesels are so problematic right now that he doesn't recommend them, and told us to hold on to our truck for another year or two.
Randalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2016, 07:32 PM   #16

Since I don't keep up with Ram products, haven't heard of any particular DEF problems with the Ram diesels. Not sure why the salesman would voice that idea.
Yes, $5k is a nice portion of a new truck, if they will deal straight with you knowing the problem--certainly they can correct the problem at less cost than for you.
Have you driven a Ram diesel? Heard good things about the Cummins. A 3500 diesel will take care of some future upgrades in towed units, also.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #17

No problems whatsoever with my 2014 cummims... gets great mileage and tons of power... no DEF issues at all
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:35 AM   #18
IC2

I think whether you have a DEF problem with a Dodge/Ram diesel or not is the luck of the draw, just like either of the other two brands. I just did a quick 'net look as I hadn't heard of that being a problem since early introduction but it appears that there are still some and FCA isn't always standing behind the warranty with excuses of what YOU did wrong --- (just like the other 2 brands). I really like my '11 Ford and a visit to the dealer yesterday left my drool on one of their left over '16s but $65K plus is just not in my near future.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:03 AM   #19

5 K is a bunch of money for sure,,,I would find a shop that would chase down a used rear. Many shops have good relationships with salvage yards and getting a rear from a late model truck that's been totaled is possible.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #20

The salesman drives a hemi 2500 4X4 with cat backs and an air intake, and is a huge fan of the hemi over the diesel because of computer glitches on the 6.7 caused by the DEF. He said that he can sell a 6.4 hemi and never see the buyer again until they are ready to trade in again. However, every week he sees diesel owners outside the service dept because of error messages. He said sometimes those glitches put the engine into a self-protect, low power mode which leaves you stranded.

No, I haven't ever driven a civilian diesel truck of any brand, only military vehicles. Wingnut, I really would like to upgrade to a heavier duty truck, because we can't upgrade to a larger trailer later. We have a second grandson on the way, and do want to upgrade to a two bedroom fifth wheel in a year or so. I was disappointed that the salesman didn't put the hard-sell on us to buy a 3500 now.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:16 AM   #21
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Don't be scared of a 3500 CTD. They are a fantastic truck!
I love mine. DEF is a non issue.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalf View Post
The salesman drives a hemi 2500 4X4 with cat backs and an air intake, and is a huge fan of the hemi over the diesel because of computer glitches on the 6.7 caused by the DEF. He said that he can sell a 6.4 hemi and never see the buyer again until they are ready to trade in again. However, every week he sees diesel owners outside the service dept because of error messages. He said sometimes those glitches put the engine into a self-protect, low power mode which leaves you stranded.

No, I haven't ever driven a civilian diesel truck of any brand, only military vehicles. Wingnut, I really would like to upgrade to a heavier duty truck, because we can't upgrade to a larger trailer later. We have a second grandson on the way, and do want to upgrade to a two bedroom fifth wheel in a year or so. I was disappointed that the salesman didn't put the hard-sell on us to buy a 3500 now.
I would probably find a different sales guy. He's trying to sell you his truck because that's what he likes, instead of selling you what you want. I bet if he drove a diesel, he would be trying to sell them and they would be the best thing ever. Jump over to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum and checkout what folks have to say about Ram diesels if you are interested in them, since the salesman isn't going to give you an honest pitch. Vast majority are extremely satisfied with Cummins engines. I haven't had, nor do I personally know anyone who has had any problems with the DEF on a Ram or any other model for that matter, though I have read about it. I do know people who have had problems with gassers not being able to pull their loads in 3/4 ton trucks.

Keep us informed about the axle issue one way or the other, interested to hear the outcome.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #23

I just got back from the dealership. They visually inspected the rear end and saw the odd tire wear, but wouldn't accept the results from the alignment shop that they sent me to. They said Chrysler demands that the results come from their own alignment machine, and they can't get on it until next week. I guess the ninety bucks I spent at the other alignment shop just comes out of pocket for me. The hopeful news is that they expect the warranty to cover the repairs.

I asked about the DEF issue, and both of the service folks shook their heads and said they don't know if the DEF problems will ever be worked out by any of the manufacturers. They said that three of the eight work orders sitting there on the desk were DEF related, and one was a tow-in from the interstate. They said things like improperly stored DEF could cause a cascade of problems that sometimes cause the complete replacement of the fuel system, catalytic converters, etc.

Then they bummed me out further by saying that my 6.4 hemi could do the same thing the diesels do if they glitch-- go into low-power mode, leaving me only able to go 15 mph on the highway. I don't what to think anymore.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #24
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalf View Post
I just got back from the dealership. They visually inspected the rear end and saw the odd tire wear, but wouldn't accept the results from the alignment shop that they sent me to. They said Chrysler demands that the results come from their own alignment machine, and they can't get on it until next week. I guess the ninety bucks I spent at the other alignment shop just comes out of pocket for me. The hopeful news is that they expect the warranty to cover the repairs.

I asked about the DEF issue, and both of the service folks shook their heads and said they don't know if the DEF problems will ever be worked out by any of the manufacturers. They said that three of the eight work orders sitting there on the desk were DEF related, and one was a tow-in from the interstate. They said things like improperly stored DEF could cause a cascade of problems that sometimes cause the complete replacement of the fuel system, catalytic converters, etc.

Then they bummed me out further by saying that my 6.4 hemi could do the same thing the diesels do if they glitch-- go into low-power mode, leaving me only able to go 15 mph on the highway. I don't what to think anymore.
Maybe it's time to look at a different brand - or at least a different dealer. That gasser just cannot do what a Cummins diesel can with lots left over. I don't know what GM is doing but Ford seems to have the problem of DEF well in hand. This is should not be that big of a deal since even the heavy duty trucks have to use DEF- so why is FCA having that problem? Or have they moved their engineering department to Italy and are letting the Fiat staff that really have no idea of US needs do the component sourcing and 'puter programming? Ford's problems with a few exceptions with a DEF tank heater and level indicator, were with the aft EGT sensor that too often failed. A TSB was issued in Jan 2015 and after the reprogramming, few additional problems. Degraded DEF - I really doubt that. The Peak 2.5 gallon jugs move out so fast locally that it's hard to keep stock. Also, I just used some that was almost 2 years old with nary a problem.

Again, you need to spend some serious time discussing Ram/Dodge trucks with a competent dealer plus check out the many Ram/Dodge truck forums. From a lifetime Ford car and diesel owner, I have to say that the Cummins engine is a great power plant and would be my 2nd choice if I needed a new tow vehicle -

Good luck with your hard headed stealership
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #25

I can't believe you have a camber issue. If that were the case either the outside or the inside of the tread would be wearing faster than the rest of the tread area. If it was a toe issue the tires would show a feather edged pattern across the tread area. If only one side was off camber it would only be wearing that tire.
I believe you have an overinflation issue causing the center of the tread to carry more weight than the outside of the tread. If the tires were underinflated the outside of the tread would be wearing faster than the center.
BTW, I started doing front end alignments in 1963 and continue to do them today.
I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't wearing the tires out more running unloaded than when hauling the fiver. I am also assuming you are running Load range E tires. If you weighed the front of the truck and the rear of the truck seperatly you might follow my line of thinking a little better. Unloaded the front would be much heavier than the rear. I would drop the rear pressure 15 to 20# while running empty.
Before I stepped out and spent $3000 on a new axle housing and all the necessary parts to change it out plus the labor I would replace the tires, keep the pressures lowered somewhat when running empty and add air only when hauling the fiver and keep a constant check on the tire wear pattern with a tread depth gauge measureing all across the tread area.
With the fifth wheel hitch you are aslo distributing weight more evenly from the front to the rear due to the placement of the in bed hitch. Have you noticed any abnormal front tire wear?
Lynn
Old 10-23-2016, 07:54 PM   #26

Cummins makes a great engine. After about 07 they got the bugs worked out of the 6.7. Dodge makes a good truck. I was a life long Mopar guy before buying this new Silverado... We looked at both. Won't go there now. DEF problems are sometimes due to expired DEF ... It has a very important shelf life. Our work trucks have been on DEF for several years now, and sure, like anything else, things go wrong. It wouldn't be my first choice of adding this system, as Scotty says from Star Trek,,, "The more you overtech the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain" . One year in and our Chevy has had zero DEF probs.... I LOVE my diesel !!!! It warms up faster than a guy at work with a older 350 gas motor....
Good luck on your axle prob...
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #27

Not to derail, but we have a Ram 3500 DRW diesel. At the 22k mile mark, we started to get DEF error messages. I researched, talked to Ram CS direct, dealers, even Ask Now on the internet. Lots of misguided rumors about DEF that effects All brands, GM, Ford,and Ram.

The EPA mandated cleaner emmission standards

If you recall when the auto manufacurers put O2 sensors and catalytic converters on cars? Well, thats the same/similar issue with DEF on trucks. Bad readings by the hardware causing the software to give error messages. Our truck went it to "limp mode", which again was software controlling the vehicle speed to comply with EPA standards.

The fix for us was to replace the SCR aka catalytic converter and flash the ROM. It was a frustrating time, but it was all covered under warranty, even if the vehicle was out of warranty.

Still love our Ram, and its power to pull our big rig.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:43 PM   #28

Thanks for all your advise, guys. Sorry I was slow to respond, we decided to say "damn the bent axle" and towed our 5'er down to the Texas coast for a few days.

I know that someday soon I'll need to get over my concerns about diesels and buy one because this whole fifth wheel thing is turning into a lifestyle for us. November 13th will make one year since we bought our Chaparral 336 on a whim, and parked it 30 feet away from our house. We liked it so much that we moved into it and gave the house to our kids. When we got back from Port Aransas this weekend we had 5001 miles on the trailer with no problems other than a sticky kitchen slide. I'm ready for the next 5000 miles, but I'm staying away from high mountains until I get up the courage to buy a diesel!

When trucks go into "limp mode" are they just governed down to a slow speed, or do they actually lose power? Do you have to abandon your fifth wheel by the side of the road, or can the truck still limp home with your trailer too?