Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #1

Unhitching on overnight stay

My husband are fairly new 5th wheelers and on this trip have noticed on a few occasions persons not unhooking their 5th wheel while camping overnight. First is this okay/safe? Secondly would you still put your landing gear down if it is okay or would the hitch itself suffice? Thanks for your help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #2

When traveling with our 5th wheels , if boondocking or just staying the single night we would often stay hooked up , if on a single night stay, we were extending the slide, I'd drop the legs and stabilizers, well still hooked to the truck. Booning ( rest stop or other parking lots ) I would not extend the slide and no legs or stabilizers were used.

The only unsafe thing ; would be hopping into the truck and driving off without raising the legs and stabilizers.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #3

Smile Unhitching 5th wheel

Thanks for your reply, we will keep this in mind and the slides were something I hadn't thought of. We really appreciate your experience and sense of humor.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #4

Anytime; Travel Safe.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #5

If it's safe to pull, it's safe to leave hooked up. I would even put slides out, no reason not to at all.
I bet it will bounce being on the truck springs though.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
We always extend the front and rear hydraulic legs and open all slides. Never been a problem. Some people recommend to unplug the trailer from the truck because of running the truck battery down but I've never experienced that.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC View Post
We always extend the front and rear hydraulic legs and open all slides. Never been a problem. Some people recommend to unplug the trailer from the truck because of running the truck battery down but I've never experienced that.
Ford's have a relay to keep that from happening. Chevy doesn't, Dodge I'm not sure.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #8

We have left our 5er hooked to the tv, didn't put down the landing gear or rear stabilizers, and extended the 2 driver-side slides (parked with the driver side away from the parking lot). No problems. There is more bounce and movement this way, but if you are just there for the night and not doing calisthenics, it works ok.

Jim
Old 09-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
I've done it before with my Dodge and am doing it again tonight. I'll post more if anything bad happens.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
as long as we are fairly level (front to back) we stay hooked up. drop front jacks and rear stabilizers and extend slide. only if we can't get comfortably level front to back will we unhook. then it is only enough to level.

be comfortable. the travel is part of the trip.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #11

I prefer to have the hitch/pinbox adjusted so that the front of the 5er rides slightly low (as long as there is sufficient clearance between the TV bed rails and the underside of the 5er gooseneck. That way when just pulling in for a night and not unhooking when lowering the front landing gear to stabilize the 5er it will also raise the front just about level.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #12

I had a 5er for 11 years and only un-hooked once. That was at an RV park in Mexico and was the only time I used my rear stabilizers.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I usually call ahead to RV parks where I want to stop and tell them that I am only stopping over with an early departure and would like a space long enough to stay hitched. Most of the time they will accomodate if they have the spaces. I put down the landing gear and rear stabilizers so I can't feel my airedales moving around at night.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #14

There is no problem in staying hitched up overnight--and leaving the truck wiring hooked up. Most new trucks don't allow electricity to flow from trailer to truck. Also no problem using shore power while hooked to truck.
We routinely stay at large rest areas and Walmarts for overnight stays--don't usually extend the legs unless on a downward slant. At WMs, we try to find a curb area away from traffic and park with the doorside to the curb, and put the large slide/bedroom out. If you park sideways in angle parking spaces against the curb, there is plenty of room for the off-door slide to go out.
There is also not a problem if you raise the front with the legs within reason to level/stabilize--just don't try to raise the truck too high.
Your biggest problem may be comfort level with the surrounding area--do you feel safe, do you mind trucks idlling close, do you mind traffic noise?
We have overnighted in many places others would not consider--that is your choice entirely.
Have fun, and good camping...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote