Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #15

'Hate' is too strong of a word. But I do 'dislike' carpet. In my house which in 1980 came with wall to wall carpet now is only 20% carpet. The house is much nicer now.

If I find a great floorplan for DW and I but the rig has carpet we will replace the carpet with beauflor.

I would say 50% of new motorhomes do not have much carpet. I just wish 5th wheel builders would follow their lead and build more units w/o carpet.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
JDT

No carpet except in the slide areas is an option with Excel. Several folks on the Excel forum have it. I wish I had thought of it as I think it is a cleaner option. We have removed most of the carpet in our home and replaced it with hard flooring of some kind.

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:27 PM   #17

Most MH have the living space up front at the most traveled area.
5 th wheel trailers mostly have the none carpeted floor at the doorway and kitchen and living room is outback with less traffic. Our last unit was 15 years old and FT in it for 5 years with original carpets. Inside looked new.
Present one is 5 years old and still looks like new inside.
Saw a 2 year old unit and owners had a small dog and the carpets were worn out.
I guess it depends on the feet that walks on the carpets.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #18

Depends on where you stay. Always in RV parks with paved sidewalks and manicured lawns, go for carpet. If you are a boondock camper staying in dirt spots with fire pit charcoal all over and have a bird dog instead of a carpet mut, I recommend vinyl floors with removable throw rug runners.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #19

I stay in a variety of spots. Now in sandy Florida. With a little rain the sand sticks to your sandals. I take off my sandals outside but still have a little sand now on my bare feet. Sand gets inside the trailer no matter how careful.

Even in Florida on a paved site sand gets on the pavement.

Then we camp up north on very nice freshly crushed stoned area. That is probably the best. But when we hike we run into mud. Mud is easier to keep out of the trailer than Florida sand.

Just go look at 2006 to 2008 rigs at a dealership. 9 times out of 10 the carpet is the showstopper.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #20

Our Columbus fiver only has carpeting in the bedroom and hallway. Our previous Sabre fiver was all carpet, except the kitchen.
With our two dogs, there is a large accumulation of hair and "stuff" on the floors which we didn't realize until the Columbus. No carpeting is the way to go with animals. DW loves the built in central vacuum system.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree. Carpet is a drag. We got a. 2014 moblie
Old 01-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
[QUOTE="Sightseer33;1867625"]I agree. Carpet is a drag. We got a. 2014 mobile suites and had carpet in living room. Pulled it out and replaced with laminate floor. Should be standard not an option. Did not order it. Got too good of a price to buy this one on of the lot. Everyone loves the change. Mostly me and the built in vac
Old 01-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I now have a 5th wheel with carpet only in the slide area with a little on the floor to help the slide.

It does not have carpet on the steps nor most of the bedroom. It has very nice looking 'wood look' beaufloor.

I have not seen an up-scale (Excel, NuWa, Carriage, Lifestyle, or DRV) 5th wheel w/o carpet in the bedroom or living room.

I wonder why 5th wheels have so much carpet while motorhomes have less and less carpet.

My DW and myself really do not like carpet...it is so 80's....ugh

Do you guys agree carpet is bad?
I would love to remove all of the carpet. I know for some reason they say we need carpet for the slides. Maybe to hide the seams. Our 5er is still very new but when carpet gets too nasty we will remove and replace with wood look lino or vinyl. I don't say anything good or bad about carpet because different strokes for different folks but as for me I rather have anything but.
mkford1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ours is mostly Beaufloor, except for the slides, steps, and bedroom, where the carpet lies.
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #25

Fyi - I stopped at an Excel dealer in Ocala. He told me they order Excel 5th wheels with an option that removes carpet in the living area. They told me there are two units like that at the Tampa Show. So I will see them tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:27 PM   #26

I attended the St Louis RV Show recently. Open Range had a new 5er with carpet only on one side. The kitchen slide was all linoleum, it looked awesome. The stairs were not carpeted either. My wife and I are looking for a 5er to replace our TT and want to keep carpet to a minimum. I don't remember what model it was but it should be on their website.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:46 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Pretty sure Space Craft 5ers can be ordered with hardwood, lino or carpet.....but its at the very high end of 5ers.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #28

I was told by several sales people at the Tampa show that they have a 'Delete Carpet' option now for the living area.

Excel had 3 units with less carpet. Mobile Suites do not have any. All MS still have carpet in the living area.

They had Space Craft, New Horizons, and Forks RV at the show. It is correct in the expensive custom builds you can have what ever flooring you want.