Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2007, 01:23 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Okay, just spoke with my dealer, and he suggested upgrading to a 15k unit. He says, that the 30' Wildcat should be cooled efficiently with a larger unit. I asked about going to a second unit, and he told me that I would have to also upgrade to 50 amp. Cheaper to go to the bigger unit. SO now, we have the question, will the 15k ducted unit cool enough to keep the pets comfortable? I do realize that where we park will have alot to do with the effectiveness of the cooling, but sometimes, just sometimes, it is hot everywhere...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2007, 01:23 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Okay, just spoke with my dealer, and he suggested upgrading to a 15k unit. He says, that the 30' Wildcat should be cooled efficiently with a larger unit. I asked about going to a second unit, and he told me that I would have to also upgrade to 50 amp. Cheaper to go to the bigger unit. SO now, we have the question, will the 15k ducted unit cool enough to keep the pets comfortable? I do realize that where we park will have alot to do with the effectiveness of the cooling, but sometimes, just sometimes, it is hot everywhere...

Old 05-01-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quiet frankly,the upgrade from a 13,500 BTUH unit to a 15,000 BTUH is only 8.5% increase in capacity. This is not much of step up, but it is a step up.

We had a 31' class C and it only had 1 A/C. I believe it was a 15000 BTUH unit and it was marginal in really hot weather.

Ken
Old 05-01-2007, 07:13 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
With a name like iceman, I better listen to you when it comes to air conditioning. Seriously, I think we will go to the 15k and take precautions such as cooling earlier in the morning to give it a head start, and keeping everything dark as possible and buttoned up.
We will also run a fan to keep the air moving.
My biggest concern is the trip to San Francisco and then to the Grand Canyon before coming home to New Mexico. Our trip will take us north through Colorado, to Wyoming and South Dakota, then Montana and then down to Yellowstone. We will spend two weeks at South Lake Tahoe, and two weeks at San Jose before our southern turn.
This starts in July, and ends in early Sept.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #5

You don't necessarily need 50 amp for a second a/c. Many people install a 2nd a/c in the bedroom area and just run the power cord to the basement or similar area. Then all you do is use an extension cord and plug into the 20 amp at the campground post. That way you could run both a/c's at the same time.

& 2 DD's, plus the yellow camping labs.
Sundevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:08 PM   #6

Buckeyes,
As stated in your previous post, check for gaps around the fan area of your A/C unit. Also, pull one of the directional covers from a vent and inspect it to see if there is a gap between the vent housing and the ductwork.

If one is like this, then there's a good chance all are and you could be loosing major cooling into the ceiling. Use 1 1/2" wide strips of aluminum tape(not duct tape), lay these over from the vent housing into the duct to seal these gaps.

Also use a mirror and flashlight to verify that the ends of your ducts are properly sealed; if not you can use minimal expanding foam (door/window) to seal off the duct right past the last vent.

I've read on another forum that this has helped tremedously to improve the cooling in some units. Unfortunantely, I have not had the time to make these mods, yet. First thing on my list when I return home though.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we spent several days removing the registers and sealing all the gaps
buy good duct tape the aluminum foil type with the peel release backing
we found most of the duct register cut outs were blowing cld air into the attic space. and like was mentioned the a/c itself was barley sealed up ...i could see outside when i removed the inside grill ....take your time and spend a few hrs tidying up the stuff that should have been sealed to start.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:20 AM   #8

Another vote for taking the grills off and looking. On our KZ, it didn't seem to cool good at all. In fact, it really didn't blow much air at all, yet one of the boys said he liked his bunk becasue the light fixture on the ceiling was blowing cold air. Hmmm.

After a quick inspection, we found the grills had an extension that went all the way up against the top of the duct box, so no little air could actually get out of them. We had to trim the depth of them down. probably should have been done on the assembly line, but wasnt. Also, the ere was a gap between the ceiling and the bottom of the duct box. All of the air was going into the ceiling, which explains the light fixture issue.

Some good metal tape sealed the gap, and a quick trim of the registers made the system work right. Now it is ice cold, which is the only way you'd want it in Texas in August.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:07 PM   #9

If you go with the second a/c you will probably be happier in the long run. Camping World sells a switch thingee (Yeah, I am real technical) that will cycle the 2 a/c's so you are never running both of them at the same time, but you are getting the benefit of running both a/c's.

I dont remember what it is called but call them and they should be able to tell you.
tyndalelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #10

I think it's called a "load management system" so you can safely run two A/C units on a 30A circuit. Our last 5er was pre-wired for the 2nd A/C, and it had a ceiling mounted 3-way switch powering each A/C unit(one at a time) instead of a load management system. The wiring would need to be installed during assembly for the 2nd A/C unit. Otherwise the added wiring must be fished across through the roof then down the wall, which is not possible with a vacu-bonded wall.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:31 PM   #11

I have an Alfa with the floor duct system and not sure of the size of the unit used same as the park models. Once it hits 95+ in Phoenix forgetabout. Have planed to add a second unit in the roof vent in the bedroom.

Paul
Old 05-31-2007, 01:46 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Update on the air conditioner. We upgraded to the 15k before leaving for Tombstone, and it worked great. Days were hot, upper 90's and we had NO problem keeping cool. Thanks for all of your responses, this site really helps.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buckeyes:
Okay, just spoke with my dealer, and he suggested upgrading to a 15k unit. He says, that the 30' Wildcat should be cooled efficiently with a larger unit. I asked about going to a second unit, and he told me that I would have to also upgrade to 50 amp. Cheaper to go to the bigger unit. SO now, we have the question, will the 15k ducted unit cool enough to keep the pets comfortable? I do realize that where we park will have alot to do with the effectiveness of the cooling, but sometimes, just sometimes, it is hot everywhere... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-05-2007, 08:10 PM   #13

Not sure where to ask this question...can't use A/C..but have been told about this product...Fan-tastic Fan..has anyone any advice about this or anyone have any experience with it. Need to know soon.
sandra and ron
Old 06-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #14

Fantastic fans are exactly that, fantastic. They run on 12 volts, certain models can either pull air into the trailer or blow air out, some are thermostatically controlled and some have a rain sensor that will shut the lid if it starts raining. I would highly recommend one!!!!! No I don't work for them. JR

2003 Dodge Crew Cab, 4X4, Ca. Cummins, Limited slip, 3.73, 48re, T-Rex nerf bars, Rhino Liner, B&W Turnover Ball, B&W Companion, Prodigy. 2005 Wildcat 29BHBP, 1987 HR Aluma-Lite XL 35', 1500W inverter, 3 solar panels, 3 furnaces, 4 Golf Cart Batteri
robertsonthego is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv