RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #1

Upgrade to MCD shades

Has anyone taken on the task of replacing their old shades to new MCD duo shades?

CapeMayDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #2

Upgrade to MCD shades

Ive always wanted to do that for my 2017 Jayco Northpoint just like it comes standard in the Jayco Pinnacle but Im told its not available for the North Point windows. Darn.

dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:38 PM   #3

We realized we never used the day part of our existing shades, so when the time came to replace them we went to Home Depot and bought a nice stringless, buttonless nightshade. All we have to do is reach over to them and gently raise them or grab the bottom and gently pull them down. Home Depot cut them to length and were easy to install. We love them! Average price was around $70 each.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:10 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeMayDave View Post
Has anyone taken on the task of replacing their old shades to new MCD duo shades?

Excuse my ignorance, but what are MCD duo shades. Im a new soon to be RVer. Just started working with the bank on Friday.
ddozier234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeMayDave View Post
Yes we are getting ready to do this. But the difference we are schedule at MCD on April 6th for the week. So I know it will cost us more since MCD will be doing the work.
You go to their place in McKinney Texas on Sunday evening and then park in their sites for the week. We have been told they will have us done no later then 5pm on that Friday.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:26 AM   #6

That’s a good option. I may have to sell my wife on that idea. And save a boatload. Those duo shade are expensive! Thanks
Old 11-20-2019, 08:50 AM   #7

We upgraded to MCDs several year ago and now wish we had never done it. Way too expansive and inferior quality compared to the original string shades.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #8

There is another option out on the market place for RVER's. The company is called Irvine Shade And Door Co. I have attached their link to the home page of the company. Irvine Shade and Door

I have these in my Cedar Creek and the aftermarket support is great.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
There is another option out on the market place for RVER's. The company is called Irvine Shade And Door Co. I have attached their link to the home page of the company. Irvine Shade and Door

I have these in my Cedar Creek and the aftermarket support is great.

Thanks for the link. I will research that
Old 11-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddozier234 View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what are MCD duo shades. Im a new soon to be RVer. Just started working with the bank on Friday.

Heres a link to MCD
http://mcdinnovations.com/american-duo
Old 11-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
Yes we are getting ready to do this. But the difference we are schedule at MCD on April 6th for the week. So I know it will cost us more since MCD will be doing the work.
You go to their place in McKinney Texas on Sunday evening and then park in their sites for the week. We have been told they will have us done no later then 5pm on that Friday.
I did the MDC this last summer & stayed in the lot, it just that, an open lot. There is a large area of grass to walk dogs and a couple pear trees when they are ripe. 50Amp Electric only, there is no water or sewer, measured Mon. day 1 . Thursday they were going to start the install, not all shades were done. $100 an hour X2 installers with no est of how long for 12 shades. I had them show me how, 1/2 hour. Install was simple once you know how the clips work. I bought a $25 tool at Lowe's and did them myself over a coupe days. At 1/2 hr each that's $1200 more, so I saved $1125 and have a new tool. That being said I watched them do a couple class A's, they recommended you do not do them yourself. I know why, it's not straight forward, more custom work on each.

If you check the web site you can measure and pre-order. Pick them up, have them show you the install one and your out of there. Most of the class A's had pre ordered and just stayed for install. The installer will give you spacers, make sure you get enough, I was short a few and used a 1" furring strip.

Living in the SW we love the shades.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:31 AM   #12

We had the string shades for many years in our previous '05 Mobile Suites--don't think there was any of the shades that did not need restringing at least once. The large rear one about 3 times. '15 Suites now has the MCD shades and, to me, they are superior in every way to the stringed units. But the '15 came with them, don't know that I would want to try measuring each window and installing the shades.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:01 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We swapped out the old Day\Night Pleated Blinds in our Class A with MCD. Much nicer shades and easy to operate. The install on all the side windows was an easy install 15-20 minutes each. The front windshield took some planning, prep and careful measurements. One thing to verify if you have valances is the clearance the MCD shades require a little more space that the pleated string shades. We were replacing valances anyway so just made them a little deeper.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #14

I had the MCD shades installed at the factory in McKinney TX 2 years ago. Did not have the front window done. Only the windows in the living room and bedroom -- 8 windows total. Arrived on Sunday and they were done on Thursday. Labor, I thought was very reasonable -- totaled 1 hour at $95 with $9.50 for shop supplies. For that price it was not worth doing myself! Now if you get the front window completed -- the price jumps up dramatically in cost and labor. We really like our shades!

Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade