Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2019, 08:13 AM   #1

Upgrading 5th wheel Advice

Looking to upgrade our 5th wheel for retirement. Want this to be our last purchase so really looking for a quality build that will last. Currently researching the Vilano, Landmark and the Riverstone. Any advise or opinion on these or any others I should look at? Little scarred about the Riverstone being a Forest River product.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Bck2Bck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2019, 09:30 AM   #2

if ya want it to be the last. The brands your looking at are a step down from what you seek. New units id be looking at New Horizons, or Spacekraft. Even those used plus a few others Forks Continental Teton, or Royals International are fine choices too. Nuwa, Excel, Carriage would be next on the list. All of those choices your in F-450 or F-550 territory. Some an FL70 Freightliner or Sportchassis are needed to safely do the job. Depends on how much truck you have or are willing to get.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #3

Welcome to iRV2.

Friends who full time , traded their 12 year old Teton on a Landmark two years ago and within three weeks were looking to get their Teton back.

Light switch locations that made no sense; had to walk half the length of the RV to access the living area light switches. Great looking cupboards ; that were too small to hold anything and couldn't be accessed without a three step ladder. Toilet plumbing with 90 degree fittings ; two before the " stuff " gets to the black tank , and a 4' run of level pipe between the two.
Even though the 5er was 3 feet longer it actually had less storage.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bck2Bck View Post
Looking to upgrade our 5th wheel for retirement. Want this to be our last purchase so really looking for a quality build that will last. Currently researching the Vilano, Landmark and the Riverstone. Any advise or opinion on these or any others I should look at? Little scarred about the Riverstone being a Forest River product.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Think the three you mentioned, along with the DRV MSA (Mobile Suit Aire) and the Redwood are good places to start looking. Unless you do plan on purchasing a semi-truck to pull with as mentioned above, lol. We are lining up to get a Landmark 365 Phoenix as it has the best storage I've seen in a full-time RV. But we have looked at all the above and they are all solid and quite nice.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #5

New Horizons also builds a lighter weight Summit model that can be towed by a 3500 truck.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #6

have you looked at a big and tall Teton. I can load a full size 4 wheeler or golf cart in the belly. my side doors are almost 40 inches tall. same height inside too. Massive storage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
Think the three you mentioned, along with the DRV MSA (Mobile Suit Aire) and the Redwood are good places to start looking. Unless you do plan on purchasing a semi-truck to pull with as mentioned above, lol. We are lining up to get a Landmark 365 Phoenix as it has the best storage I've seen in a full-time RV. But we have looked at all the above and they are all solid and quite nice.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
have you looked at a big and tall Teton. I can load a full size 4 wheeler or golf cart in the belly. my side doors are almost 40 inches tall. same height inside too. Massive storage.
If memory serves, Teton went out of business in 2008-2009?? I don't want to launch into full-time camping in an RV that is already 10 years old. I have heard myths and legends of their build quality, but I wouldn't be comfortable launching into a full-time lifestyle with one with that many years already on it.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #8

to each his own. hope you find what you seek. Build and insulation is key. I bought my Teton a year ago a 2007. As long as its been taken care of roof etc its got many many years left. It will be traveling long after.many today are on the junk pile. Nuwa, Excel Newmar Carriage were competing for best built. Each having models at various price points.They were in the era of who builds the best not who puts out the most. Thats why so many are still on the road and kept by there owners as there hard to beat. Good luck!

Teton the original owners never went out of business. They recession hit in 08 and they seen it coming and got out before. the later years they licensed the name and use of patents. They still do oilfield housing and own the RV hall of fame. There still listed as owners of the patents.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:46 PM   #9

My Teton is a 2003. I would put it against anything mass produced on todays market. Yes it is old. But it is as good as shape as any brand new today. My cabinets look as good as new. All trim is solid aok. As is cabinets, table, coffee table. My former DRV was in bad shape when we parted with it. It was a lot newer. Don't believe you realize the value of these older well build units.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:58 PM   #10

Agree with Glen. Id put my Teton against any RV in any climate. Extreme heat or cold. Its presently 95 outside 65% humidity. and inside 70 downstairs and 68 upstairs. Not many can do that.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:29 PM   #11

I would be a little scared about buying any of them, the way they are thrown together now. I recently toured the Vilano factory, and they really nice.
Might be better to buy a used one with the bugs worked out.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:06 AM   #12

We are in a River Stone Legacy and even tho not full timing we are in it all summer, it has held up very well with little issue
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:21 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We have the Vilano 365RL and have been in it for year and half now. Perfect, no, but all taken care of by the factory authorized service center. As an exercise, I look at new models and their floorplans, and have not seen anything that I would want. We have been in 25 degrees and now 95's. Stayed warm and cool. We looked at many other brands and really liked the build quality and layout of our unit. Real wood, not veneers and lots of storage capacity. We would buy it again.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:54 AM   #14

Guys, not knocking your Tetons by any stretch, I'm sure they are solid. As said above, it's all personal preference. Can't help but notice ya'll are pulling with 4500s or Semi's, which places another limit on ownership. Kind of like the DRV's, the bigger ones are nice, if you don't mind driving a Mack truck, lol. A 3500 duelly is as big as I (and most others I think) would care to go, both in size and cost. A lot of folks max out comfortably driving a SRW 3500, and have no desire to roll in a DRW.

Tags
5th wheel, advice