Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2016, 08:38 AM   #1
JDT

Upgrading Furniture

I asked a question about changing out our couch on the owner's forum but since Excel went out of business there isn't much activity anymore. Decided to expand the base.

We really like our fifth wheel except for the furniture which includes 2 recliners and a couch with the pull out queen size sleeper. It is useless as it is so uncomfortable. We do need extra sleeping space for the grandkids on occasion so we need something. Also, we decided that besides replacing the couch with something more comfortable we would also like to replace the 2 recliners with theater type seating love seat/recliners.

We have looked online at Flexsteel and other brands of rv furniture for possible replacements but they are pretty proud of their stuff pricewise. I also called Colaw rv salvage in Joplin, Mo. which is fairly close to us but they don't have anything that would work. We have also looked at regular stuff in furniture stores but fitting something thru a 24 1/2" wide door wouldn't work. I know the couch we have comes apart for easy removal but most non rv furniture does not.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. I was also wondering what others do when you have extras spend the night. I thought about a blow up mattress for the living room floor but not sure if they are too much of a pain to deal with. Thanks.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2016, 10:34 AM   #2

I am not sure if Lazy Boy has theater seating but I know they have recliners where the backs come off so you can get them through the door. Even some of their couches have removable backs. We have a NuWa (also out of the manufacturing business) and we elected to delete their recliners and purchased our own Lazy Boy Pinnacle recliners. We also opted for a sofa with storage instead of a hide a bed. The couch is uncomfortable but we never sit on it and we never have overnight company. Our RV only sleeps two. You could use an air mattress on the floor instead of getting another sofa bed. I find them all to be horribly uncomfortable.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #3

After a lot of measuring, research, comfort testing, and price considerations we ended up with a Flexsteel loveseat recliner. We have had Flexsteel furniture in the past and it is nearly indestructible. Haven't had the electric recliner before but we'll see how it works out. It is very comfortable and fits both the wife and I well. I know I will be able to fall asleep on it if the need arises.....

I am sure you can find a solution for your recliner, just don't settle. Don't have any experience with the sofa issue. Have used inflatable beds, they are ok in a pinch. They are a pain if you have to deflate them every morning before breakfast. However, if you only need them once a year its doable.

Happy hunting!

Chance
Chance31ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:59 PM   #4

We have bought both a couple recliners and a theater sofa for our 5th wheel. Our door is 28" IIRC. on both types of chairs the backs came off. You do need to take some measurements. We just shopped our local furniture store and bought furniture for home use. I too won't pay for RV related furniture. And frankly it's not very good quality. We went with Home | Best Home Furnishings. They have some smaller size furniture as opposed to the Paul Bunyan size stuff some stores carry.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:16 PM   #5

Evergreen Owners Club
furniture upgrade

A love seat for the home in your 5th wheel is very doable. As said before check your measurements both door width and how deep your slide is. Remember the new furniture will have to set fully on the slide. Be aware of how much space you need behind the new furniture. Remember the so called "wall huggers" will require some space behind them to fully recline.
Be sure to select one that has a removable back. Makes getting it in the door doable.
As far as a sofa is concerned and if you have a rear living 5th wheel. Be sure to check the depth as well as the length of the space the sofa sets in. A sofa that is to deep will not work because the slides have to close in front of the new sofa.
Measure, measure, and measure again.
We did replace the love seat that came with our 5th wheel with one that came from from a local furniture store. They delivered it, installed it and hauled the old one away. We also choose the Best Home brand .It is a powered recliner and the DW loves it. Good luck, do your home work and enjoy
Old 10-25-2016, 09:30 PM   #6
JDT

Thanks for the replies. I was also thinking I could do better at a furniture store. We have a rear kitchen model with 2 large opposing slides. The couch is 76" wide and the part of the slide it sits in is 93" wide and 36" deep, which gives us a lot of flexibility. The recliners we want to replace with theater seating is on the other side. We have about 76" width to deal with and 46" depth. Never heard of Best Home but when I did a dealer locator I found several in our area.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #7

Both Cumminsfan and gracers31 make good points about measuring the door and slide. Our door was 25 inches once I had removed the inside hand rail. The door width WAS a consideration for what to buy. The love seat was a tight squeeze but was in quickly. Zack at Worth Furniture in Woodland CA got ours put in the RV for us.
Chance31ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:40 AM   #8

Has anyone had experience with a certain sofa or recliners that can be used in a unit without slides? Our space is even more limited. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:13 PM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
We replaced our rockers in our Lifestyle with theatre seating and absolutely love it. No adjusting them to retract the slides. They are wall hugger and can be reclined installed only 4 inches from the wall. They are made by Clay Madison and we got them on EBay with free delivery for less than $700. Clay Madison and similar are sold at Camping World but for much more money. You can check the www.claymadison.com website for styles. Ours is the Jaleco.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:23 PM   #10
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
Has anyone had experience with a certain sofa or recliners that can be used in a unit without slides? Our space is even more limited. Chuck
I think you are going to have to get your measurements and go searching. That is pretty much what did. We found what we wanted and what would fit yesterday and picked it up today.

With a 24 1/2 inch door opening the only thing that will fit is something that has removable backs. That narrowed it down tremendously as the only thing we found to fit that requirement was something that reclined. We decided to focus on La-Z-Boy as we have had good luck with them and found something on sale. We got a wall hugging, reclining love seat and sofa and with the help of my son-in-law we got them in door with no problem. Also, the set we got had somewhat smaller dimensions than most which doesn't overwhelm the living area.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:52 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The previous owner of our 30RSO had replaced the recliners with two chairs that did not fit me well at all. So we bought two La-Z-Boy wall hugging recliners with swivel bases that I love and can relax in. The factory sofa is almost worthless as a bed, but we still use it as a sofa. Someday I may build a unit I like better that opens into a descent bed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:22 PM   #12
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
The previous owner of our 30RSO had replaced the recliners with two chairs that did not fit me well at all. So we bought two La-Z-Boy wall hugging recliners with swivel bases that I love and can relax in. The factory sofa is almost worthless as a bed, but we still use it as a sofa. Someday I may build a unit I like better that opens into a descent bed.
We replaced the original recliners, which were way too small, even for my not so tall frame, with some La-Z-Boys but never liked them. I think we bought too cheap. The couch has always been uncomfortable even for sitting. The sleeper is useless, even with an upgraded mattress we added. I am going to order an air bed to use instead for the rare occasion we need it. I did a bunch of research and found one on Amazon with a built in pump for $120 that I think will work.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I think you are going to have to get your measurements and go searching. That is pretty much what did. We found what we wanted and what would fit yesterday and picked it up today.

With a 24 1/2 inch door opening the only thing that will fit is something that has removable backs. That narrowed it down tremendously as the only thing we found to fit that requirement was something that reclined. We decided to focus on La-Z-Boy as we have had good luck with them and found something on sale. We got a wall hugging, reclining love seat and sofa and with the help of my son-in-law we got them in door with no problem. Also, the set we got had somewhat smaller dimensions than most which doesn't overwhelm the living area.
Jim, Care to share the model that you bought? Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:36 PM   #14
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
Jim, Care to share the model that you bought? Chuck
Don't mind at all. We bought the Ace Cashmere Reclina-Way sofa and love seat. The model number for the couch is LZB-330/770-CD107564 and the love seat is LZB-320/770-CD107564. I am not sure but we bought these at Mathis Brothers in Tulsa and they may be an exclusive model for them. I did not find an Ace model on the La-Z-Boy website. Based on the models and prices we saw it appears these are in the mid to mid-upper level of the line-up.

The love seat does not have the center divider, console type thing. The wife does not care for those which made the fit a little better.