Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #1

Used camper sold as new

I bought a new 2108 Big Counter from campers Inn in Kingston NH. the bill of sale say's new, was advertised as new. I had questions about some roof bubbles that the dealer claims in normal, so I called Heartland to ask what they thought, he began by asking me the Vin number, He advised me I was not the original owner, that it had been previously registered. He asked for the sales receipt and said he would contact Campers Inn and find out more. If this is true what recourse do I have? I can't believe a dealer would do this.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Its possible someone used that VIN number to register for info.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Its possible someone used that VIN number to register for info.
Not sure what you mean? like a Car Fax
Old 08-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #4

Maybe a call is in order to the whichever agency in your state deals with vehicle purchases and registration. That would be my first step, mainly to find out what my options are.

If the dealer truly sold you a used vehicle as a new one, then it would seem that they either committed fraud or somehow didn't know what they were selling. Either way, they've got some explaining to do.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
I bought a new 2108 Big Counter from campers Inn in Kingston NH. the bill of sale say's new, was advertised as new. I had questions about some roof bubbles that the dealer claims in normal, so I called Heartland to ask what they thought, he began by asking me the Vin number, He advised me I was not the original owner, that it had been previously registered. He asked for the sales receipt and said he would contact Campers Inn and find out more. If this is true what recourse do I have? I can't believe a dealer would do this.
I'd like to hear the song and dance they do for you when you confront them with this! I would walk onto their lot and pick out the most expensive unit they have on the lot and tell them they will trade you even up for the one you have now. If they don't agree tell them you are going to contact the State's Attorney General and your own lawyer and a lawsuit will be forthcoming.
This dealer is in big trouble if they are a franchised dealer. They lied to you.
Good luck and tell us all how you make out.
Lynn
Old 08-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #6

Could be a book keeping error, but if previously sold and taken back by the dealer, then resold as NEW, once Heartland gets done with them and it had previously been sold, I would think about contacting a lawyer and the BBB!
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #7

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Any chance you or the bill of sale got the vin number wrong?

If Not.

Just opinion here.

This could be real trouble for the dealer. If a bank was involved for financing, even more trouble. If they underwrote a loan for a new trailer and this is a used one, this could be recourse for them to call in the note or cancel deal if not funded.

As for your recourse, I'd say you have plenty in this case. Unless they redefined the definition of "New" in the bill of sale, they are contractually obligated to provide you with a new trailer, not one that has already been registered.

I highly recommend you see or talk to a lawyer if this is indeed a previously titled RV. How long since signing?
ac5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #8

Quote:

OP: First verify the VIN was registered before, usually your DMV office can run the VIN and tell you if it had been registered and in what state. Then contact the general manager at Campers Inn and explain what you found out and see what they'll do to correct the issue. Further more the roof bubbles are not normal on a new or used roof so that is flat out lie. Campers Inn is risking a lot by reselling a used camper as new, the State will want to talk to them if you provide evidence to their law enforcement division of Motor Vehicles. It may have been an error regarding new vs. used but the roof thing is still a lie and they need to replace the roof at the very least. The value of the camper may change when treated as used vs. new so you'll want to consider that as well. Do your due diligence and collect your evidence then make your case. Good Luck and let us know what happens.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #9

I'm going to wait until I hear more from Heartland he said he will look into it, as long as they don't take too long otherwise I will see if the DMV will give me that information.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:03 PM   #10

He already said it was registered by someone else. I'd follow-up in a week if you don't hear back and contact the stealer yourself to validate the claim and hear their side of the story. Then lawyer-up on the first sign of bs if they don't make it right. Also contact the state agency that monitors this kind of thing (http://www.doj.nh.gov/consumer) and your bank if you got a loan. They will go after them too. Don't contact the BBB, they are a scam.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginomad View Post
He already said it was registered by someone else. I'd follow-up in a week if you don't hear back and contact the stealer yourself to validate the claim and hear their side of the story. Then lawyer-up on the first sign of bs if they don't make it right. Also contact the state agency that monitors this kind of thing (http://www.doj.nh.gov/consumer) and your bank if you got a loan. They will go after them too. Don't contact the BBB, they are a scam.
When I was signing paperwork for the sale the finance lady told me my payments were going to be higher than they said because the bank considered the camper used because it was a 2018 and wouldn't give me the extended term. My bill of sale states it's new as did the ad which has been taken down, maybe the bank already knew that it was previously owned.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:04 PM   #12

The term "used" would only apply if the unit had been previously titled/registered. Even if it was two years old, if it had not been registered/titled, it still would be considered new for sales/financing purposes. It appears that the dealer pulled a fast one. I would not wait a minute to try to get to the bottom of this, as others have said, that dealer has some explaining to do.
JeffandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:37 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
This is where an attorney is worth his weight in gold.
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:45 PM   #14

So how do I find out the owner of Camper Inn in Kingston NH. I tried google nothing came up.