Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2014, 05:06 AM   #1

Used fifth wheel with specific floorplan

My husband and I are going to go full time in a fifth wheel. We have a young son and we feel the layout is important since this will be our home. We want a small bunk room with a closed door and a normal layout for the living room (i.e. the couch is not at a 90 degree angle to the tv)
Some models we are considering:
-Coachmen Chaparral 360IBL
-Crossroads Cruiser 345BH
-Crossroads Cruiser M32BL
-Open Range 375BHS
-Grand Designs Reflection 323BHS
The problem is, we are nervous to buy brand new and would prefer to buy used. Are there any other models that have a similar floor plan but are a few years old that we could find used? The M32BL is the only "older" model but we are not finding any used ones.
Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #2

Our daughter and son inlaw have a Heartland Sundance which has what you want plus a second bathroom back by the kids room. Not sure the model but if you cant find out let me know and I'll get the model#. I believe theirs is a 2008 or 09. I would think you could get one of those for $20K or less used

Old 06-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #3

Why nervous to buy new?
Old 06-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #4

Admittedly, I may be nervous as well. Buying used gives them the opportunity to at least get there money back if the lifestyle is not suitable for what ever reason. We must always consider the so called new vehicle depreciation hit which is worse for an RV than almost any other major purchase we could make.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
why not take a look at toy haulers, but without knowing what kind of truck you will be towing with, we have an 07 all american sport, made by forest river, the TV sits straight across from the couch and a 12 foot garage in the back with its own door, Pin by Lyman Beach on trucks and bikes | Pinterest
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #6

Relatively few full timers are using bunkhouse units or have young children as they have a tendency to be older. Full timers also prefer higher quality trailers than the units on your list.

One thing to note is that the bunkhouse models are often very long and somewhat heavy. You'll need a dual rear wheel one ton diesel pickup to tow most bunkhouse five'ers.

The Grand Design 358 is light enough for a 3/4 ton single rear wheel diesel truck, however its closets are too small for full timers and they purposely left out room for a washer/dryer. We're in the process of ordering this bunkhouse, however.

Good luck to you on your search.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:43 AM   #7

We had an 2004 AmeriCamp 321QBS that we sold for $12,000 in November. Excellent quality and still looked and operated like new. Had just what you're looking for. AmeriCamp has an online owners club too.

The other unit I'd look at is Travel Supreme. I can't recall the model but if I'd had the money when we were looking at bunkhouses I would have bought one. Also excellent quality and I know of someone I talked to years back on the internet who was fulltiming in it with a school aged son.

Edit: just found this site which has floor plans of all Travel Supreme models. There are a few bunkhouse configurations: http://www.rvingplanet.com/brands/tr.../fifth-wheels/

Good luck!
Old 06-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #8

Thanks for all your advice!
Old 06-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Come on over to the Heartland Owners forum. Lots of good information and plenty of used trailers for sale.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #10

The units you listed are really not full time units. They are best for only weekend use.

Look for 7,000lb or 8,000lb axles, at least a 12" I-Beam frame, and more than 'E' rated tires for full time use.

Check out the Columbus 385BH - they have been building the unit now for 3 or 4 years. Although the Columbus is not really a full-time it is better than the units you listed.

But you will need a 1 ton Dually truck.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Does any one have a KZ Escalade or know anything about them especially 2006 37 ft. Thank's.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #12

Not sure abuot Escalade's, but the Montego Bay's had stupid plastic corner roof pieces that broke, leaked, and then caused rot.